Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tapfret View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I really like your review !!
    Posted: February 17 2017 at 12:30
Thank you kind sir. 50 year-old that album is now. Outrageous!

Progarchives.com: Where guys named Ian go to discuss music by guys named Ian.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 04:20

DoFP by Tapfret. Nice and Nostalgic! Thumbs Up

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 11:19
Thanks mate, it's a great album!
"I see no hope, but I could be wrong." - Pete Seeger.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 11:02
SteveG, I just read your review of Strawbs' From the Witchwood and I loved it. I've had it on my music wish list for a couple of years at this point and I've finally decided to get it after reading your glowing review. Cheers!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 10:50
In Spite Of Harry's Toenail by siLLy PuPPy is the best review that I've read in a long, long time. Awesome! Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 09:14
There's a few points of Nue!mann's review of the F E A R album by Marillion that I disagree with, but it's a wonderful thought provoking critique and very well written. Good show, old boy! Thumbs Up

Edited by SteveG - February 11 2017 at 09:14
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 12:59
Your welcome. 

First off, "supposed to have a Native American theme" is not the same as actually having a Native American theme.  It sounded Celtic to me. I felt no inclination to take Oldfield to task for that. He made an effort but failed, IMO. The reprised Hiawatha theme, albeit slowed down, is still just that. It was not a new musical theme different form anything that proceeded it on the album. Variations on a theme can be repetitious, IMO, and I hold to my conclusions that this one resulted in the album being long winded, along with the overlong xylophone section that kicks off part 4 (side 4).

Cheers. 

Edited by SteveG - February 01 2017 at 13:20
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Replayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 23:07
On behalf of the non colabs, thank you!

For my part, I liked the Incantations review you wrote a couple of days ago and thought it a fair assessment of Oldfield's fourth opus.

Two minor points of disagreement: firstly, I think the music is supposed to have a Native American rather than Celtic feel; secondly, the vocals in Part 4 are not a reprise of Part 2's Song of Hiawatha, but rather a reowrking of Ben Jonson's Ode to Cynthia to the same melody (I had to read that online, I failed to notice the words were different, as well Wink).

Oh, and your Ommadawn review. It captures my sentiments exactly, down to loving the Uillean pipe section and feeling let down by On Horseback.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2017 at 10:48
I really enjoyed the recent reviews of Return To Ommadawn by the 3 colabs and the 4 non colabs, so far. Great stuff!  Clap
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 17:41
I posted this in a PM to Warthur but wanted to share it

I'm getting quite used to excellent concise and insightful reviews from you but this review of Amenophis is yet a level beyond that.  It's one of my favorites and you have really captured it and added to my understanding as well. 

It's in reference to Warthur's review of the Amenophis s/t album 

Edited by kenethlevine - January 26 2017 at 17:42
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 21:30
Nice Yugen review there, Puppster man!!  Clap
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2017 at 15:38
I'd just like to acknowledge uduwudu's very well explained and reasoned review of Chris Squire's solo album. Even if I don't necessarily agree with it, I always appreciate it when people take the time to properly articulate why they don't like something. Thumbs Up
Vulgarity is the fool's fig leaf.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 23:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I'll second that notion Nick. Great reviewers and great folks altogetherClap
I have no interest in the new Marillion album, but I read those reviews with immense pleasure. Tis a sign of a great reviewer methinksApprove

Well David. As usual it's great to freakin' hear from you.
Pretty neat that we have the same feelings on Marillion. I also think that YOU belong with the Bird and da Laz for prog reviews that 'don't suck! '
Raving and drooling I leaned on his neck with a screeeeeeeamm! ;)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 11:22
Feeling that more and more these days, David!

Awesome front page at the moment, a cool assortment of varied reviews from Stefro, Progrussia, Thomas and Drew (nice selection of modern Italian releases from you two gentlemen as well!)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 15:56
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

That damn review nearly killed me.

Should be your sig -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 10:24
Too kind, gentlemen, but thank you, and kudos to Laz on his here too.

That damn review nearly killed me, was glad to get it over and done with! Problem was I worked on it on and off over almost a fortnight, tinkering here and there when I should have just got it finished in the one go. By the time I wrapped it up and posted it I had well and truly lost momentum with it and just wanted it over.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 02 2016 at 10:24
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 10:22
Why, thank you, chaps

In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 10:11
^I'll second that notion Nick. Great reviewers and great folks altogetherClap
I have no interest in the new Marillion album, but I read those reviews with immense pleasure. Tis a sign of a great reviewer methinksApprove
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 09:40
I read a couple of great reviews from 2 great PA stalwarts Michael (Aussie-Byrd) and Steve (Lazland) for Marillion's F.E.A.R album.
Been trying to get inspired to anti up and grab more Hogarth era Marillion material, however I feel after the Marbles, Strange Engine, brave and Seasons end I can do no more....but what a great couple of reads from both you gents!!!

Michael and Steve. Your passion and way with words is of an extreme beauty and I thank you both for reminding me that I'm not alone for just how important great sounds are in ones life.    
Maybe down the road sometime in the future I might buy the last 2 Marillion releases (16th and 17th respectively) but I'm too much of a FISH fan, so it's up in the air.
Moods and people do change.

Thanks again Chaps!!! ....standing O !!
Raving and drooling I leaned on his neck with a screeeeeeeamm! ;)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
PSIKE Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2016 at 11:26
^^ I say the same about today, I'm quite curious to hear the Banco and Oöphoi albums Thumbs Up

I also wonder if Jaime wrote The Wall's review today on purpose Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
  Share Topic