Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 61>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 11:56
^ thanks Dave, much appreciated. It was rather hasty but I had probably compiled my thoughts together before writing.

"the friendly way of using the two-star rating" ApproveLOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 05:21
Just found out about this thread ShockedEmbarrassed - I must say that there are just too many different forums to check out when you have to little time to dedicate to this forum) and to have to little time to read other reviews as well (but I do that generally AFTER I wrote mine of an album)

so hopefully I got mentioned at least once (can always dream, uh?? >> no time to read up the 17 pages), but I must say that the best reviewer IMHO is Chicapah, who always brings in excellent background stuff and is highly entertaining... I wish he'd be reviewing many more albums (though he also writes a bunch more for JMA), but more out of the "mainstream" (is NIN mainstream, thoughLOL) stuff

Other reviewers I generally enjoy (needless to say when I encounter their scribblings on an album page I visit >> I don't chase reviewers) are Easy Livin (those witty  review titles are worth the detour, just by themselvesLOL), our two Peruvian buddiesClap (Cesar and Ivąn) and our other  Latino-american Guillermo/MW, my PF team buddies HugClem/Bob and Keneth (who really blossomed of late), Jim/FF, Eetu , Dave /Atav and of course John "review champion" Storm
But among our newer members, the real championStar is Aussie/Michael... though I'd love to read more unfavorable reviews ( 1 or 2 stars) from his ...
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 09:46
Thanks Hugues.  As you know I'm a big fan of your conservative ratings, which I always thought was the way people should rate.....while it is hard to make those choices it made your record of reviews so much more helpful than most. 

I agree with you about Chicapah-Rollie, one of PAs biggest treasures. 

My others faves include Guldbamsen and LinusW, two of our sauciest wordsmiths who describe sound in such an entertaining way. 

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 10:00
Atavachron's review of What Burns Never Returns was a good read today. Clap 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 10:01
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

True. That album is fantastic and is the one i typically listen to when i want my Don Cab groove on. 

Edited by Horizons - January 25 2014 at 10:05
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 10:07
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

True. That album is fantastic and is the one i typically listen to when i want my Don Cab groove on. 

And lawd knows sometimes you gotta get dat Don Cab groove on. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 10:40

Thanks for the kudos Hugues!  They mean alot coming from you, whom I have certainly learned from.  I recently finally listened to and reviewed Comus and Jan Dukes de Grey.  Your tutelage helped me appreciate both but more so the latter.  I liked your review of Midlake's latest.  Sounds like you might be coming around insofar as seeing them as a prog group.  Even some of the mainstream press have referred to this latest one as more prog than folk.  Either way, good stuff

I agree that ratings tend to be a bit high.  If I am guilty of it, it's usually because I just don't give enough time to mediocre releases to feel like I can fairly review them.   But we need those counterbalancing reviews.  Proof of that is the recent complaints about negative reviews which, while partially valid, lose their credibility when they proclaim that 60 people rated it 4 or 5 stars, so the person rating it 1 or 2 stars must not know what they are talking about.

Edited by kenethlevine - January 25 2014 at 10:41
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 11:42

LOL

Lets face it, those who deny the Don Cab groove Haven't Lived Afro Pop.

Edited by Horizons - January 25 2014 at 11:42
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 19:41
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Just found out about this thread ShockedEmbarrassed - I must say that there are just too many different forums to check out when you have to little time to dedicate to this forum) and to have to little time to read other reviews as well (but I do that generally AFTER I wrote mine of an album)

so hopefully I got mentioned at least once (can always dream, uh?? >> no time to read up the 17 pages), but I must say that the best reviewer IMHO is Chicapah, who always brings in excellent background stuff and is highly entertaining... I wish he'd be reviewing many more albums (though he also writes a bunch more for JMA), but more out of the "mainstream" (is NIN mainstream, thoughLOL) stuff

Other reviewers I generally enjoy (needless to say when I encounter their scribblings on an album page I visit >> I don't chase reviewers) are Easy Livin (those witty  review titles are worth the detour, just by themselvesLOL), our two Peruvian buddiesClap (Cesar and Ivąn) and our other  Latino-american Guillermo/MW, my PF team buddies HugClem/Bob and Keneth (who really blossomed of late), Jim/FF, Eetu , Dave /Atav and of course John "review champion" Storm
But among our newer members, the real championStar is Aussie/Michael... though I'd love to read more unfavorable reviews ( 1 or 2 stars) from his ...

Thanks so much Hugues. One of the reasons i've done so many reviews is because of you, loserboy and  easy livin'. When I first found this site back in 2005 I just marvelled at you guys, in fact I always thought that the reviewers were the life blood of this site. I agree about Chicpah who I believe writes for a newspaper so no wonder the man has a way with words. I've messaged him many times about his steller reviews. Also Michael is definetly a guy who's opinion I value and reviews I always read. And though you didn't mention Guldbamsen he is one guy i'd love to hang with in real life, he's so entertaining and informative. I've said it before but you'll always be the king of this site Hugues.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 19:52
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Just found out about this thread ShockedEmbarrassed - I must say that there are just too many different forums to check out when you have to little time to dedicate to this forum) and to have to little time to read other reviews as well (but I do that generally AFTER I wrote mine of an album)so hopefully I got mentioned at least once (can always dream, uh?? >> no time to read up the 17 pages), but I must say that the best reviewer IMHO is Chicapah, who always brings in excellent background stuff and is highly entertaining... I wish he'd be reviewing many more albums (though he also writes a bunch more for JMA), but more out of the "mainstream" (is NIN mainstream, thoughLOL) stuffOther reviewers I generally enjoy (needless to say when I encounter their scribblings on an album page I visit >> I don't chase reviewers) are Easy Livin (those witty  review titles are worth the detour, just by themselvesLOL), our two Peruvian buddiesClap (Cesar and Ivąn) and our other  Latino-american Guillermo/MW, my PF team buddies HugClem/Bob and Keneth (who really blossomed of late), Jim/FF, Eetu , Dave /Atav and of course John "review champion" StormBut among our newer members, the real championStar is Aussie/Michael... though I'd love to read more unfavorable reviews ( 1 or 2 stars) from his ...

Thanks so much Hugues. One of the reasons i've done so many reviews is because of you, loserboy and  easy livin'. When I first found this site back in 2005 I just marvelled at you guys, in fact I always thought that the reviewers were the life blood of this site. I agree about Chicpah who I believe writes for a newspaper so no wonder the man has a way with words. I've messaged him many times about his steller reviews. Also Michael is definetly a guy who's opinion I value and reviews I always read. And though you didn't mention Guldbamsen he is one guy i'd love to hang with in real life, he's so entertaining and informative. I've said it before but you'll always be the king of this site Hugues.

Oh, thank you guys, I'm touched. Actually having a crappy day at work, so this is a nice surprise, I'm truly humbled

And, Sean, I too would like to see me offer more 1 and 2 star reviews! It's a combination of two things. 1) I had a fairly rubbish last year, so I've preferred to focus on positive things away from real life, hence the overload of 3-5 star reviews! and b) I'm usually very thrilled by so many of the prog albums I hear, just blown away and appreciative of the talent in so many of those who offer progressive music!

But you're totally right, I'll look into some more painful encounters and try to give them a bit of exposure! You may particularly enjoy my recent 1 star review of Mythos' `Grand Prix' album! http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1088059
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2014 at 05:06

Thanks so much Hugues. One of the reasons i've done so many reviews is because of you, loserboy and  easy livin'. When I first found this site back in 2005 I just marvelled at you guys, in fact I always thought that the reviewers were the life blood of this site. I agree about Chicapah who I believe writes for a newspaper so no wonder the man has a way with words. I've messaged him many times about his steller reviews. Also Michael is definetly a guy who's opinion I value and reviews I always read. And though you didn't mention Guldbamsen he is one guy i'd love to hang with in real life, he's so entertaining and informative. I've said it before but you'll always be the king of this site Hugues.

Indeed, I must admit that I haven't really noticed Guldbamsen's reviewsEmbarrassedHead on wall ... Hell, I didn't even know he was an Admin Shocked(congrats DavidStar).... But I'll be certain to pay attention in the near-future...

Mmmhhh!!!... the old king  (though I'd rather think of myself as an alpha-male/proggerCool) had to abdicate in favor of a newer and stronger king ... I was even expecting to be overtaken by my countryman Zowie, but apparently, he chocked at the worst time... I hope Daniel will come back in a flurry of activity  some day

@Michael, I know what you mean about counterbalancing positive and negative... And it's not easy to pay attention and be fair to something you don't like...

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I agree that ratings tend to be a bit high.  If I am guilty of it, it's usually because I just don't give enough time to mediocre releases to feel like I can fairly review them.   But we need those counterbalancing reviews.  Proof of that is the recent complaints about negative reviews which, while partially valid, lose their credibility when they proclaim that 60 people rated it 4 or 5 stars, so the person rating it 1 or 2 stars must not know what they are talking about.

Isn't that atrocious??? Some people simply can't accept diversity of opinion.

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2014 at 06:30
Hey Sean I always enjoyed your reviwes too. Two albums I remember I got because of you are: The second Recreation album "Music Or Not Music" and the lovely Ripaille album "La vieille que l'on brūla", so thanks Thumbs Up
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 04:39

LOL

Lets face it, those who deny the Don Cab groove Haven't Lived Afro Pop.

Oooh, good one. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 09:20
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Hey Sean I always enjoyed your reviwes too. Two albums I remember I got because of you are: The second Recreation album "Music Or Not Music" and the lovely Ripaille album "La vieille que l'on brūla", so thanks Thumbs Up

No thank YOU !!! Hug

The main reason why I'm here is to share what I like/love with others

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 19:42
Hugues you are most definetly the alpha male on this site.LOL You say what you want and say to hell with the consequences.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 02:18

Hugues you are most definetly the alpha male on this site.LOL You say what you want and say to hell with the consequences.

Yeah, well believe me, that can cost too.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 05:00
The way Philosaurus just wrote about the new Nichelodeon album makes me wish that he'd review more often. I really digged that one...oh and for the folks around here who don't know him by that exact name - it'll be Man With HatEmbarrassed
Anyways have some clappies on me big fella, what a reviewClapClap

(Just noticed the other posts in here and thanks Jim, you know how much I adore your reviews so that means a lot coming from you)

Edit: Oh and John? I'll be sure to drop you a mail, if I decide to take the plunge and scoot over the Atlantic, don't worryLOL I'd love to hang with you (and maybe check out your daughterTongue).

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 31 2014 at 05:33
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 14:46
Check out my daughter !? LOL Both my daughters are gorgeous but really ? LOL

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 16:12
Two of em? I am definitely going to Canada at some point. Thanks for the heads up
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 13:35
Just had a ball reading Iain's (ExittheLemming) lengthy and entertaining in depth analysis of The Who's underappreciated "Face Dances" album.  I've been very busy at work and only meant to browse over the new reviews but I got sucked in.  Bravo!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1125729
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 61>