FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beach Boys as Proto-Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beach Boys as Proto-Prog
    Posted: June 22 2012 at 23:58
Who agrees that The Beach Boys should be included on this site as Proto-Prog.
They put out "Pet Sound" which was a Concept Album that Influenced "Sergent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".
So what do you guys say?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 00:33
I agree, but particularly for Smile

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 00:38
^ yeah, Smile for sure
A sizable chunk of their discog is obviously not exactly a match for the site, but I love them anyway
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 02:03
Sorry no from me. I would rather have Abba (so to speak)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 05:21
But Smile wasn't released until 2011 (2004 for the Brian Wilson version), it was only influential by reputation - Pet Sounds has the requisite elements (psychedelic pop, baroque pop) and was influential on 60s UK pschedelic rock (Sgt Pepper and Piper at the Gates etc.), but was it Proto-Prog? 
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 05:56
If it influenced Sgt. Pepper that would make it proto-proto prog and we don't have that category here. LOL

So if you like the Beachy Boys, just enjoy them as they are.

If only they'd used a mellotron instead of a theremin on Good Vibrators, the first pop song about a sex toy... Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 23 2012 at 05:59
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 08:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

But Smile wasn't released until 2011 (2004 for the Brian Wilson version), it was only influential by reputation - Pet Sounds has the requisite elements (psychedelic pop, baroque pop) and was influential on 60s UK pschedelic rock (Sgt Pepper and Piper at the Gates etc.), but was it Proto-Prog? 

True.

I should get Smiley Smile one day to see what those substitute 'Smile' moments are like
JazzMusicArchives.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 09:28
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

True.

I should get Smiley Smile one day to see what those substitute 'Smile' moments are like

It's interesting to hear, but definitely a disappointment if you expect something like Smile.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 09:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If it influenced Sgt. Pepper that would make it proto-proto prog and we don't have that category here. LOL

So if you like the Beachy Boys, just enjoy them as they are.

If only they'd used a mellotron instead of a theremin on Good Vibrators, the first pop song about a sex toy... Tongue

LOL

Yeah, BB is no more than proto - proto.
And as Dean said, Smile hadn't been released back then.
I agree with Bart: just enjoy them and forget the prog tag.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 10:01
I agree with Dean here.
If they were included in PA - we'd have to make a new box called post-proto-progressiveLOL

If we could tag individual records, we would probably also find some albums from Dungen in this strange box.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:25
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

True.

It's interesting to hear, but definitely a disappointment if you expect something like Smile.

I reckon I will one day, but you'd suggest not to rush out for it?

I actually find myself (especially after getting 'Pacific Ocean Blue' a few years back) craving more Dennis-penned songs, so I should also probably explore their early 70s/late 60s stuff more fully

(Forgive the thread hi-jack)
JazzMusicArchives.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:53

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

True.

I reckon I will one day, but you'd suggest not to rush out for it?

I actually find myself (especially after getting 'Pacific Ocean Blue' a few years back) craving more Dennis-penned songs, so I should also probably explore their early 70s/late 60s stuff more fully

(Forgive the thread hi-jack)

Well, Sunflower has better reviews, but it's more polished than Smiley Smile.
Surf's Up has nice songs of most of the group members, but not Dennis, if I recall well.
Smiley Smile stands in no comparison to Smile.
It's underproduced and an attempt to deliver an album following the failing of Smile.
The Allmusic site still gives it 4 stars, so I don't know, you might like it.
It has some nice moments, but IMHO that's mainly because of the other versions of Smile songs.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 13:11

I believe it was. many of its elements would give form to the early stages of progressive rock , which can be seen in some of the earliest prog rock albums, such as Saucerful of Secrets, Days of Future Past (and its follow up I every time forget the title), from what I remember from the top of my head.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:32

by 'Smile' I of course meant Smiley Smile--  the point being that whatever you want to call it, a very important record was released in 1967 that, but for one or two classic hits, contains strong evidence for Protoprog - or perhaps proto Avant rock - and should be seriously listened to by anyone concerned.   Further and perhaps just as significant is the Beach Boys crucial contribution to the art and craft of rock music, not just the mechanics of it.   They were the first rock'nroll band to take their music "too seriously", to apply recording methods normally reserved for classical, big band, and Pop Vocal, and to push the limits because they could. 

I'm not pushing for their inclusion in Protoprog, I'm saying there absence from it is an obvious deficit that should be rectified someday.   Pet Sounds ?   No, it doesn't hold up as 'proto' much of anything
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 09:07

As for Smile, some material had been leaked out via their demo tapes ... the material should have exerted much influenced upon younger psychedelic / art rock projects definitely, I'm sure.

In my early days in PA, I've considered The Beach Boys as one of Proto-Prog outfits like Grateful Dead indeed, but currently it's doubtful ... maybe can be said they should be innovative, and they were influential for progressive rock scene indirectly, but cannot say they were prototype of progressive rock ...  my two won.
Ancient Tree View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 14:31
no

they are already listed as a psychedelic group ( i dont know how this happened) 

Edited by Ancient Tree - June 24 2012 at 14:32
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 18:41
^ Meh ?  Listed where?  Not on PA, and if you don't know how they could be tagged as Psych you haven't heard their whole catalog.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 18:45
I don't believe the Beach Boys are proto-prog.  I'm not even sure the Beatles are, except in the sense that the Beatles were pretty much the catalyst for virtually everything.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply