Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes, at Westbury, New York, July 14th, 2012
    Posted: November 14 2012 at 12:09
"Franchise", I like that, just about sums it up.
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 14:26
Yes burned bright for a while, then burnt out. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 18:58
Yeah, that's why I think it would be nice if Oliver were to come back to Yes... as far as I understand he is a composer himself, as well as Davison, so they both could take the reins. Otherwise, they should get someone new, young and with great promise, specially on the composing department. Most of the artists have done their best work in their 20's, so I would think that's what they must look for.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2012 at 22:51
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It was strange last night in the hotel I was staying in, I decided to look at Yes You Tube videos.

First up was Gates of Delerium in 1975, an incredible performance from a lineup I wish had stayed together longer.

By way of comparison, I then looked at Fly From Here this year. A nice track, perfectly adequately performed, but, by God, the contrast in energy between the two. The ravages of age, I suppose.

Age has not been kind to them, particularly White and Squire.

....nor to me, my friend!! 

I really wish Yes would develop younger talent as understudies, the better to take the reigns and keep the spirit of the franchise going.  That was always their professed dream, anyway.  

Back in the early 1970's, there were very few bassists I knew with the chops to keep up with Squire (I knew Gary Strater from Starcastle, he had the chops AND the Squire look!).  These days, Yes trib bands are plentiful.  No shortage of good talent around.  

However, be careful what we wish for....I find that even the best trib band often falls apart when they have to compose!  The founders of Yes could segue from front-line performers to behind-the-scenes composers.   I think it would be interesting.

I would only hope they would not invite Benoit David back to the party!  Cheers! 
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2012 at 11:58
The road to excess led to..........more excess
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 09:26
It was strange last night in the hotel I was staying in, I decided to look at Yes You Tube videos.

First up was Gates of Delerium in 1975, an incredible performance from a lineup I wish had stayed together longer.

By way of comparison, I then looked at Fly From Here this year. A nice track, perfectly adequately performed, but, by God, the contrast in energy between the two. The ravages of age, I suppose.

Age has not been kind to them, particularly White and Squire.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 06:24
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

perhaps I'm one of the queasies; any change in a band lineup means it virtually becomes a different band, but arguably with the same project and goal if the changes are minimal

You should have followed Uriah heep in the 70s & 80s

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 05:01
You're obviously very generous and open-minded, and that's to your credit. You make fair points about the enjoyment of whatever it is you're listening to, but the fact is, by the time you get to the Westbury gig you're listening to a cover band. Then again, perhaps I'm just a grumpy old git. 
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 23:50
Then just enjoy the part of the band's catalog that you enjoy - try to always listen to new releases on their own merits. The vast majority of Yes fans find their 2nd, 3rd and 4th lineups the creative highlight of their career, with only 2 out of five original members by the time they did Topographic Oceans, Relayer, GFTO...I don't think I've ever heard anyone longing for the original lineup. So, with Yes, it's never a question of how much of the original lineup is intact, but whether you connect with the music they're doing at any given point...I can honestly say that the new material they played at Westbury sounded much more like "classic" Yes than anything I've heard since GFTO, but it depends on what you expect.

Another thought - Something I've learned as I age into my 40's. The enjoyment of many things,  including music, depends very, very heavily on how much you want to enjoy it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 23:05
perhaps I'm one of the queasies; any change in a band lineup means it virtually becomes a different band, but arguably with the same project and goal if the changes are minimal. When the changes become wholesale, as in Yes or Jethro Tull, or King Crimson,  then all you're left with is a label on a jar, with an entirely different content to your original purchase. The label itself becomes meaningless. If you still like the contents, fine, but the new musical unit needs a label of its own.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 14:56
Yes was never a band for those queasy about lineup changes. There were people who thought Yes was over when Tony Kaye and Peter Banks left. And again when Bruford left. And again when Wakeman left. And when Jon left the first time. And then when Howe left. And then when Kaye returned. Blah blah blah blah....it's just a band, it's just music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 14:47
It's not Yes, it's No
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Oh, sorry!!  Does this make it better?  Cry

Good, I thought so!  LOL

Glass Hammer posted this to Facebook, I think it is increasingly clear that Jon "Juano" Davison will be the new front-man, vocalist and possibly composer for Yes!!  Check this out:

Plus, he is quite talented on bass guitar, so Yes gets a two-fer in case Squire cannot tour!  Maybe the retirement of Squire would open a door for Jon Anderson to return?  That seems to be the only way it could happen, as Squire seems to be the fly in the Yes ointment. 

Good hearing from you, DM!

In case Squire can't tour???   WTF????   Who is the most arrogant, rude bass player you'll ever meet?   CS.
Who is the greatest bass player in the world?    CS.    YES is "NO" without CS.   Though I know he and Johnnie-Boy
are feuding at the moment and you are not even trying to hide the side that "you" chose.  Wink

Jon Davison on bass? Hmm, all that does is bring back memories of the evil Billy S. on bass.  Talk about RUINING Yes!Angry

BTW...  I saw YES with Jon Davison last month, they were fantastic, even Downes seems to  have taken piano lessons in the last year.  They played Awaken, Downes was no Wakey-mon but he did OK, the song was done well.

Go see them dude!   Don't be afraid.Wink

We'll see Jon Anderson back in YES within 2 years, for their last tour together.  You heard it here first.Approve
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 09:42
I agree with earlier posts about the lack of validity when so many different lineups take the stage under the same banner name. I much prefer the idea that Joy Division had - when one member leaves, it becomes another band, in their case, New Order. Much more honest - and valid.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 19:52

Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I think the chances of Jon Anderson patching it up with Yes are nil, none, nada, sayonara baby!  This is based upon what Jon said when I saw him in concert ("Voice of Yes") and various printed reviews. 

If Yes got the nod for the R&R HOF, I think they would patch it up for a night.  Otherwise, not so much.  

From all indications, Jon Davison will be Anderson's permanent replacement in Yes, while sharing vocal duties with Glass Hammer.  GH, like Steely Dan, are primarily a studio band who rarely play out & don't tour for a variety of reasons.  I posted a GH interview on PA, search under cstack3 to find it (my last topic started). 

One by one, the elders shall pass from Middle Earth, leaving behind the young and strong to carry on.  I hope this is what happens to Yes, that they gradually bring in new talent to replace the geezers.  I doubt that Ollie Wakeman will come back, as he's happy with his new family and band.  However, there are many fine young emerging talents who can replace the original lineup and keep the flame going. 

BTW, your description of Squire is spot on!!  The guy is a big, gruff, knows-everything sort, I think that decades of hearing that he's "the best bassist in prog" have sunk in!!  Hey, he's the Gov and captain of the Good Ship Yes, so he'd know!!  

Nice to hear from you, DM!
Dude,

I gave you multiple cutsie-faces in my post to you.  You didn't give me a single one in return.Angry
Whassup with that???Unhappy

LOL

Seriously, mark my words.  Jon Anderson will rejoin Squire & Howe for one final tour before YES morphs into someting younger like you say...

Jon Davison filled a need which was to promote Fly From Here, which is what you do after you release an album.Wink
Jon Davison has no real connection to YES, so no reason to think he remains in long term plans(as long as the lads can hang in there...)   Once the Fly From Here cycle ends, the agents will all fight it out and JA will be back in the fold.
Singer's temper tantrums only last for so long.Approve

Stay positive buddy!   Big smile

Oh, yeah... Glass Hammer Rocks!!!!  I love IF, but not so much Cor Cor-whatever-its-called...

Looking forward to the new GH record!

Oh, sorry!!  Does this make it better?  Cry

Good, I thought so!  LOL

Glass Hammer posted this to Facebook, I think it is increasingly clear that Jon "Juano" Davison will be the new front-man, vocalist and possibly composer for Yes!!  Check this out:

Plus, he is quite talented on bass guitar, so Yes gets a two-fer in case Squire cannot tour!  Maybe the retirement of Squire would open a door for Jon Anderson to return?  That seems to be the only way it could happen, as Squire seems to be the fly in the Yes ointment. 

Good hearing from you, DM!
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 15:08

I think the chances of Jon Anderson patching it up with Yes are nil, none, nada, sayonara baby!  This is based upon what Jon said when I saw him in concert ("Voice of Yes") and various printed reviews. 

If Yes got the nod for the R&R HOF, I think they would patch it up for a night.  Otherwise, not so much.  

From all indications, Jon Davison will be Anderson's permanent replacement in Yes, while sharing vocal duties with Glass Hammer.  GH, like Steely Dan, are primarily a studio band who rarely play out & don't tour for a variety of reasons.  I posted a GH interview on PA, search under cstack3 to find it (my last topic started). 

One by one, the elders shall pass from Middle Earth, leaving behind the young and strong to carry on.  I hope this is what happens to Yes, that they gradually bring in new talent to replace the geezers.  I doubt that Ollie Wakeman will come back, as he's happy with his new family and band.  However, there are many fine young emerging talents who can replace the original lineup and keep the flame going. 

BTW, your description of Squire is spot on!!  The guy is a big, gruff, knows-everything sort, I think that decades of hearing that he's "the best bassist in prog" have sunk in!!  Hey, he's the Gov and captain of the Good Ship Yes, so he'd know!!  

Dude,

I gave you multiple cutsie-faces in my post to you.  You didn't give me a single one in return.Angry
Whassup with that???Unhappy

LOL

Seriously, mark my words.  Jon Anderson will rejoin Squire & Howe for one final tour before YES morphs into someting younger like you say...

Jon Davison filled a need which was to promote Fly From Here, which is what you do after you release an album.Wink
Jon Davison has no real connection to YES, so no reason to think he remains in long term plans(as long as the lads can hang in there...)   Once the Fly From Here cycle ends, the agents will all fight it out and JA will be back in the fold.
Singer's temper tantrums only last for so long.Approve

Stay positive buddy!   Big smile

Oh, yeah... Glass Hammer Rocks!!!!  I love IF, but not so much Cor Cor-whatever-its-called...

Looking forward to the new GH record!

Edited by dennismoore - September 04 2012 at 15:14
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 12:24
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I don't think I'd hold out high hopes of a Jon Anderson/Yes reunion, based upon my read of his comments made during his "Music of Yes" solo performance in Chicagoland some months back. 

He did laugh and tell quite a few funny stories that included Chris Squire, but when he tuned up his acoustic and an audience member yelled "Steve Howe!" in jest, Jon's face went....dark.  

I've never seen such a look on Jon's face before...maybe Howe is the "fly in the Yes ointment," not Squire, as many have surmised over the years. 

Anyway, I think Jon is quite happy to maintain his low-key schedule and recording work with Wakeman.  He is supposed to have some surprises up his sleeve in terms of new material, we'll just have to wait.  

W - T - F Chuck????

Wassup Chicago Chucky????

Smile   Smile   Smile

How ya been?   I think based on Jon's comments... that "guarantees" we will see him in YES in a year or so.
If Artists are one thing it is that they are tempermental, say all kinds of "When Hell Freezes Over" stuff then they change their tune 180 degrees without even a "by your leave mate".  So I say JA will be back w/YES sooner than later.  Further evidence:

I met and talked with YES after the SLO show in 1996.  All were quite happy to see the classic lineup back together,
first time since 1979...  I was speaking with Chris Squire and then I asked him will there be more than these three SLO shows?  He looked me straight and the eye, frowned dissapprovingly at me, waved his arms across his body like a baseball umpire making a "safe at home base" call, (which outside of baseball, means NO WAY!!!), and he barked at me. "No.  Absolutely not.  No way."  Well those YES guys toured for like the next 8 years, doing hundreds of shows around Planet Earth.  So..I learned never to listen to what comes out of an artist's mouth, only the music he plays. Approve

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 08:47
A nice and thoughtful review, but what this "band" has to do with the band originally called "Yes" is beyond my understanding or concern.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 08:09
Absolutely superb review - well thought out, objective & entertainingly written.

Nice work

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 19:02
Originally posted by captain2man captain2man wrote:

I was at the Westbury show back in mid-July.....and there's no doubt the band was leagues better than they were last summer when they toured with Styx (which was a borderline embarrassment.....even the most loyal Yes fan - if truthful - would have to admit that Styx blew them off the stage).
The performances were better & the set list was better (i.e., less predictable while still playing some of the songs they "have" to play).
However - after having seen the band on each of their New York area tours in recent years - there is absolutely no doubt that the band will never be truly spectacular live again until and unless Alan White is no longer drumming for them.
It absolutely kills me to say that.
I LOVE Alan White's drumming.....and although I've never had the honor of meeting the man, by all accounts, he's a class act.
Additionally, in recent times - with Yes's line-up being in a state of perpetual flux - it's comforting to see one of the classic era members of the band remain consistently in place for 40 years at this point.
But the hard truth of it is that age has probably caught up with him....and he is very clearly not the drummer he once was.  Age takes it toll on vocalists and drummers more than any other instrument.......it's the nature of our muscles.....and a good drummer is so key.
This isn't to say that Alan isn't still good.......but he's no longer great.  He no longer plays with the power he once did....nor the speed.  Listening to him cheat his way through Heart of the Sunrise over the past 10 years is painful - and I'd rather them just not even play it.
I truly mean no disrespect towards Alan.......he's awesome and I will forever enjoy his drumming on past Yes records.........and I'm not even suggesting that Yes consider replacing him or that he retire......perhaps fans would rather see a less-than-perfect performance WITH him than a perfect performance WITHOUT him.

I'm afraid you are perfectly right, on just about everything. I do wish they would get a new young 20's great drumming promise to give a new fire to the band. Most of the very best albums have been done by guys still on their 20's, so instead of getting an already established and mature musician (such as Benoit, Davison, and Oliver Wakeman) they should get an unknown face with strong writing abilities. That's just about the only option they have for making a new Fragile or Close to the Edge for this time and age. And why couldn't that guy be a drummer?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>