Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop 5 technical guitar players?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 technical guitar players?
    Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:18
Just curious what others think. I am trying to find new players to inspire my current technique.
My band "Centrifuge" and personal music page "Sven".
My band page
My personal music
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:25
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is my all time favorite guitarist. Very technical in a on-shredding way. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
moogprodigy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:29
For pure technique and teaching approach, I am liking Paul Gilbert. He is also a huge Alex Lifeson fan.
My band "Centrifuge" and personal music page "Sven".
My band page
My personal music
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:35
My list will probably look ridiculous as there are hundreds of technique masters who I've never listened too, but just from my listening experiences, these are the guys whose technique has impressed me the most. 

In no particular order (and sticking to prog):

Steve Howe (don't laugh; his work with Yes might not seem terribly technical but some of his solo acoustic material is astounding).
John Petrucci (self-explanatory)
John McLaughin (I know there are probably many fusion players with more technical ability, but my knowledge of the sub-genre is limited).

Maybe I'll think of a few more later.  If I was to make a "best guitarists" list, it would be much different.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:36
As a guitarist for 21 years, I have to say that technique really isn't that important and should never be your primary focus IMHO. Look at Steve Rothery or David Gilmour, it's not about technique for them. It's about expression and making every note count. I think one of the biggest problems facing guitarists these days is they worry about things that don't mean anything. Pat Metheny once said that he's forgotten more than he remembered. Every player is different of course and have their own set of goals they want to achieve. For me, just trying to play music always seemed more interesting than learning theory, although I did learn a bit of theory in my early days, but I've forgotten pretty much everything I've learned. Anyway, music was just more important than anything coming from a technical standpoint.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 21 2012 at 23:37
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:37
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is my all time favorite guitarist. Very technical in a on-shredding way. 

I saw an interview with him where he said that he didn't consider himself much of a guitarist.  This is somewhat discouraging.  If Omar Rodriguez-Lopez isn't much of a guitarist, then I might as well give up because he sure is better than I am LOL.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:40
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

As a guitarist for 21 years, I have to say that technique really isn't that important and should never be your primary focus IMHO.

Clap

My feelings exactly. I admire players like Mark Knopfler and Keith Richards for their creativity and expression, and have never been terrible impressed with "technical" players like John McLaughlin or Yngwie Malmsteen.

Edited by thellama73 - July 21 2012 at 23:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:44
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

As a guitarist for 21 years, I have to say that technique really isn't that important and should never be your primary focus IMHO.

Clap

My feelings exactly. I admire players like Mark Knopfler and Keith Richards for there creativity and expression, and have never been terrible impressed with "technical" players like John McLaughlin or Yngwie Malmsteen.

Exactly. My heroes Bill Frisell, Steve Hackett, Alex Lifeson, and Eric Johnson are all outstanding players, but it's their expression on their instrument and the way they project their emotions that makes them "speak" to me.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:47

Clap

My feelings exactly. I admire players like Mark Knopfler and Keith Richards for there creativity and expression, and have never been terrible impressed with "technical" players like John McLaughlin or Yngwie Malmsteen.

I'm impressed with technicality insofar as it serves to enhance and contribute to the music instead of being merely superfluous.  Most of my favorite players lie somewhere in between the "technical" and "non-technical" players; guys like Alex Lifeson, Dave Bainbridge, Greg Massi, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, and Steve Howe are undoubtedly masters of their instruments and definitely get some quality show-off time but aren't given to the super-technical displays and exotic shred techniques of the guitarists commonly regarded as technical players.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:50
In no particular order:

Robert Fripp
Arto Lindsay
Alex Lifeson
Steve Hackett
Steve Howe
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:53
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I'm impressed with technicality insofar as it serves to enhance and contribute to the music instead of being merely superfluous.  Most of my favorite players lie somewhere in between the "technical" and "non-technical" players; guys like Alex Lifeson, Dave Bainbridge, Greg Massi, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, and Steve Howe are undoubtedly masters of their instruments and definitely get some quality show-off time but aren't given to the super-technical displays and exotic shred techniques of the guitarists commonly regarded as technical players.

Kudos for mentioning Dave Bainbridge. What a great player! His work with Iona is quite special. Is he even capable of playing a bad note? Everything with Bainbridge is well-judged and he's not consumed with empty guitar pyrotechnics, although, like Hackett, he's got chops for days.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 21 2012 at 23:53
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:57

Clap
Exactly. My heroes Bill Frisell, Steve Hackett, Alex Lifeson, and Eric Johnson are all outstanding players, but it's their expression on their instrument and the way they project their emotions that makes them "speak" to me.
Pssh, who cares--  this thread is specifically about the top tech players, and no one said feeling and self-expression is unimportant.  Frankly the best players exhibit both; Jeff Beck, McLaughlin, Santana, John Abercrombie.

And I do love me some Tech.  For me, no one is more impressive right now than Ron Jarzombek.  And there's Holdsworth of course.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:58

Kudos for mentioning Dave Bainbridge. What a great player! His work with Iona is quite special. Is he even capable of playing a bad note? Everything with Bainbridge is well-judged and he's not consumed with empty guitar pyrotechnics, although, like Hackett, he's got chops for days.

I love the melodic element of his playing; no matter how fast he's going, he always has a clear melody, and it's emotional impact is only increased by his speed and embellishment.  I also don't think he uses very many "shred" techniques (at least I haven't heard it), which makes the things he can play seem all the more impressive.  His acoustic work is great, too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 00:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Pssh, who cares--  this thread is specifically about the top tech players, and no one said feeling and self-expression is unimportant.  Frankly the best players exhibit both; Jeff Beck, McLaughlin, Santana, John Abercrombie.

And I do love me some Tech.  For me, no one is more impressive right now than Ron Jarzombek.  And there's Holdsworth of course.

Who said that I said that feeling and self-expression was unimportant? Where did you get that from? All I gave was my opinion, which is what you and everyone else on this forum do on daily basis. Get over yourself.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 00:19

I love the melodic element of his playing; no matter how fast he's going, he always has a clear melody, and it's emotional impact is only increased by his speed and embellishment.  I also don't think he uses very many "shred" techniques (at least I haven't heard it), which makes the things he can play seem all the more impressive.  His acoustic work is great, too.

Absolutely agreed. What did you think about his solo album The Protecting Veil? I thought it was fantastic.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 22 2012 at 00:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 00:30

Who said that I said that feeling and self-expression was unimportant? Where did you get that from? All I gave was my opinion, which is what you and everyone else on this forum do on daily basis. Get over yourself.

I think you're misunderstanding him.  He didn't insinuate that you thought feeling was unimportant, he just made the point that, since we're in a thread about technical players, we might as well appreciate their ability, since this is a venue made specifically for that purpose.

Absolutely agreed. What did you think about his solo album The Protecting Veil? I thought it was fantastic.

You mean Veil Of Gossamer, or does he have a new one out?  It's been a while since I've listened to his solo album but I remember enjoying it a lot; "The Everlasting Hills Part 1" particularly stood out to me (a 5 minute long song made up of one Dave Bainbridge solo?  Bring it on. Thumbs Up).

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 00:32
Why is the technical guitarist standing out in the yard?

He can't find the key and he doesn't know when to come in.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 01:28

I think you're misunderstanding him.  He didn't insinuate that you thought feeling was unimportant, he just made the point that, since we're in a thread about technical players, we might as well appreciate their ability, since this is a venue made specifically for that purpose.
Thanks--  and I'll get over myself if we can talk about tech guitarists in a tech guitarist thread.  But I guess tonight this is the wrong crowd for that, everyone wants to talk about how sensitive and wonderful Dave Gilmour is.  Suck my dick, and start a "Guitarists with Feeling" thread y' bunch of panzies.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 01:36

Thanks--  and I'll get over myself if we can talk about tech guitarists in a tech guitarist thread.  But I guess tonight this is the wrong crowd for that, everyone wants to talk about how sensitive and wonderful Dave Gilmour is.  Suck my dick, and start a "Guitarists with Feeling" thread y' bunch of panzies.

LOL
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 03:07
Itd be a bit of a chore to pick the 5 top technical players, But  here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQZY87PDsnQ . Any Mofo that needs more than one guitar is automaticaly in the top 5 I think.

This space intentionally left blank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>