FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson Vs. Roine Stolt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 05:46
I have totally lost all respect for Steve Wilson.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 05:53
The benefits of having been on here so long....

I remember when this interview was actually done, it made quite the stire here at the time as well (I expect that thread is long gone by now though). One thing people seem to have forgotten is that until around the time of Fear of a Blank Planet, Wilson hated the term Progressive Rock and being associated with it, it was only in the latter part of the 2000's when the term became much more widely applied to a wide variaty of bands that he came to accept being labeled as such. This interview reflects that.

Personally I find the majority of music from both Wilson and Stolt to be extremely boring, so I can consider myself neutral in this. I agree with some of Wilsons point, if only in part, but he still comes across as being an arrogant little so and so. Mind you, at first Stolt only just stops short of calling Wilson a sheep so as bad as each other I think.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 06:26
Well, Then, way back in the mists of time - about 1985ish - Roj (who was a contact for S.Wilsons current band - I can't remenber what they were called) - and myself - went to stay @ S. Wilsons Parents house in Hemel Hempstead... He played us a bit of Rush - he was REALLY into the seventies prog bands then - Genesis, Yes - but mainly Floyd & Rush...We went to the pub with his keyboard player.....He dreamed of becoming a big star (yes and owning a Jaguar).....That much was certain....A lot of his music is REALLY floydesque (The Sky moves sideways).
I haven't listened a lot to his PT stuff - my youngest son plays a bit and I really like some of it......But I feel saddened at this attack that seems to echo the 1976/77 - "HIP" journo's attack on prog as they grooved to New Wave (Trash really IMO) - Maybe he should produce for lady ga-ga or summat...Maybe (although he's an accomplished guitarist himself) he's not in the same class as Roine (causes Jealousy)......no comparison... Aye and Mars Volta - just not my cup of tea - the more avant-garde the more inverted-snobbery applies I feel......S.W will be mentioning Wizards Hats next if he's not careful................Big smile
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 06:35
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Now, those that read this, what do you think about it? Who's right? Who's wrong?

I tends to agree with this.

.........................bands like the Mars Volta, Tool, and Radiohead - these bands
are the future of progressive music..............................................................................

But he should only mention what he thinks is great, what he dosent like, he would do better keep it to him self. 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
appudds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 06:36
I personally disagree about the opinions of Steven Wilson.
There are a lot of bands these days who want to recapture the mood of the past which is lost.
Even though they arent that close to it, they are trying something atleast. 
The least thing Steven Wilson can do is recognise their talent.
If I am not wrong, I heard the song called "The Sky Moves Sideways" and till date, its the worst progressive rock song I have ever heard (my personal opinion).
I dont know how Steven sees those songs as prog but TFK and Transatlantic as not prog.
I am sure Steven should look at his old songs and think twice about criticizing someone. 
And If he doesnt want bands to act "old school", why did he help mix the Heritage album for Opeth?
And if he feels symphonic prog is the "death" of progressive music, why try Storm Corrosion?
I have a huge respect for Steven and I am heavily disappointed that he has come out to openly criticize fellow progressive musicians who are stalwarts.

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 06:54
Would be nice with a link to the interview.
Another thing, keep in mind this was 7 years ago.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 07:11
God, Roine could use some English courses.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 07:21
I agree with some of what Wilson says, but he is foolish, and I expect somewhat egotistical to express his views in the way he did.

The Flower Kings and Transatlantic are clearly not the 'future' of prog. Was it ever their intention to be? I'm sure seasoned musicians like them, know the business well enough to know, that they are not about to start selling albums by the lorry load, in this day and age. They do what they do and they do it well. I don't listen to them. They do very little for me, but that's hardly the point. To be frank I've heard all I want to hear of Porcupine Tree, for now, too. Boring music. The Incident was wholly unremarkable.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 07:33
While I agree with both sides of the argument to some extent, Steven Wilson is being a bit of a d*** here. While the bands he mentioned might not be churning out any 'classic' albums anytime soon, or pushing any boundaries, they have the right to make whatever music they want. I happen to think some of it is really good, and I know other people do too.

There's a different kind of way of thinking about music in PT and TMV and that kind  of band, they want to make things people haven't heard before. The Flower Kings just want to make the music they love, and that happens to be classic prog rock. 

Also, Roine comes of this sounding like such a nicer person that Steven (even though both are usually nice guys), so I think it's clear who wins. 

Hopefully Steven'll retract his statement and try and make amends otherwise he's going to lose a lot of fans.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 08:14
^ being as this was in 2005 I don't see a retraction coming soon.  I'd love to hear his take on that interview now to see if he's matured at all.  Either way, you don't trash other bands in interviews, I think the term is professional courtesy.  
kole View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 09:08
Originally posted by ScorchedFirth ScorchedFirth wrote:

Steven Wilson was kinda right. A good point, really badly (bit nastily even) made.

This. Though if I understand it correctly, he was asked specifically about TFK and Transatlantic
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 11:17
Steven Wilson is rather close to an imbecile when he opens his mouth. When he shuts up and plays his little simple instruments he fares way better. 

Anyway, if what he's being doing recently is supposed to be the real standard for real "progressive" rock, count me out of that stupid train. Porcupine Tree is rather always good (except the last album) but Wilson's multiple projects in recent years all make me yawn and get sleepy.

And that's beside the point. He just showed he's a child. He looks like a child, and acts like a child. 

I've always said: that one person is extremely good at something doesn't mean they are extremely good at giving opinions, or even that they're intelligent. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 11:36
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

The problem is, Porcupine Tree is (was) no more progressive than The Flower Kings were (are), so all of SWilson's comments are null and void, 

Agreed.  I can understand Robert Fripp making that kind of statement, but Wilson isn't exactly the epitome of progressive-ness. 

Hey, Steven, truly progressive acts don't even care whether the public calls them prog rock or whatever.  Hug

I agree to a large extent about the points Wilson made about Flower Kings but he so isn't the right person to say that in such scathing terms in an interview. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 11:53
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Would be nice with a link to the interview.
I thought it was contemporary...after the release of the whirlwind and Banks of Eden.....
well well well.........
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 12:08
If this happened in 2005, I think it's pretty much water under the bridge by now.  I think both parties came off a bit childishly.  Take Roine Stolt and Steven Wilson, and drop them in a discussion room of hard core "GLEE" fans.  Let them hear people argue at length over whether Finn and Rachel's marriage will be successful, or whether Puck is really a good guy or just a manipulative punk, the choice of songs in the "Madonna" episode, and whether or not Curt is a fair portrayal of a gay student.  After a couple of hours of this, Roine and Steve will understand that they're not so far apart after all.  They're both into progressive rock to the GLEE fan.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 13:16
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

If this happened in 2005, I think it's pretty much water under the bridge by now.  I think both parties came off a bit childishly.  Take Roine Stolt and Steven Wilson, and drop them in a discussion room of hard core "GLEE" fans.  Let them hear people argue at length over whether Finn and Rachel's marriage will be successful, or whether Puck is really a good guy or just a manipulative punk, the choice of songs in the "Madonna" episode, and whether or not Curt is a fair portrayal of a gay student.  After a couple of hours of this, Roine and Steve will understand that they're not so far apart after all.  They're both into progressive rock to the GLEE fan.

Sounds like your trying to turn them into a pair of mass murderers to me, either that or they'll create a suicide pact.Wink
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 13:26
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Exactly.
7 years ago I was a black man from Uganda into Sperm whale fishing and Burt Bacharach.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 14:19
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Sounds like your trying to turn them into a pair of mass murderers to me, either that or they'll create a suicide pact.Wink
LOL Yeah.

Still, the point of my ridiculous example is that we - prog-metal fans, new fans, old fans, RIO fans, Volta fans, Flower King fans, etc. - are not as ideologically different as  we sometimes think we are. 
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 14:41
Point to Roine!! The negativity expressed by Steven Wilson was totally unnecessary!! What's great about prog now is that all the diverse acts can exist at the same time, and they all should support each other!!
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 14:48
Wow. f**k Steven Wilson. I've lost an enormous amount of respect for him after reading that.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with him, you can't deny that that was nasty, pompous, and downright sh*tty.

Edited by Anthony H. - August 02 2012 at 15:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>