Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny news on new Transatlantic material?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any news on new Transatlantic material?
    Posted: August 04 2012 at 08:32
Any news on Transatlantic? Any new album coming out?
Its been three years since The Whirlwind launched and I cant wait for new materials.
Hope they dont go back to their long hiatuses again
And also, I personally feel they should make Gildenlow a permanent band member. 
His vocals and virtuosity adds perfectly to Transatlantic especially in their studio albums!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 08:47
Hey Appudds!

I wouldn't think there'd be any new Transatlantic album just yet, if only because there's just been a new Flower Kings album a few weeks back, Neal Morse has a new solo prog album out in the next month or so, and Marillion are currently finishing recording a new album too!

I do think we'll get another album from them at some point, but plenty of other exciting prog goodness no doubt on the way from all the members to keep us happy for now!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - August 04 2012 at 08:48
appudds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 08:59
True that. I was just curious. That's why.
Because after The Flower Kings' new album, Neal's new album, Marillion's new album and Flying Colors' new album, i guess its back to Transatlantic. But i dont expect anything before 2013 though
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 09:32
I don't have links right now, but I've been following this for a while. Basically, no one's schedules can line up until around Spring 2013, so a Fall 2013 release is expected.
appudds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 10:22
Also, what do you guys feel about making Gildenlow a permanent band member and giving him a part of song writing. 
I think it will make Transatlantic even more better. It will add a lot of new impulses into the music.
Also, i dont see Pain of Salvation so active that he cant spend any time on Transatlantic..

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 10:58
It's going to happen, but not til next year, like the wise Darkshade said.  I do not want to see Daniel be a perm. member. Glad he can help out live, but I'm not a huge fan and having his input in the writing and recording may change the entire dynamic.  On the other hand, it might be interesting foil for Neal, as TA seems to be very neal dominated.

btw-i finally got the first TA album.  it's not as immediate as Bridge Across Forever.  i need to sit with it a while.  All Of The Above seems to just drag along.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
appudds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 11:21
Exactly. The only thing I am disappointed is that Transatlantic is too much Neal dominated.
Especially, the first album.
His voice is great and so are his keyboard parts. But it gets very monotonous after a while.
Stolt has this weird, cruel voice. Portnoy has a deep voice. And pete's voice was absolutely brilliant in Stranger In Your Soul. 
Expected more contributing in vocals from each of the members in The Whirlwind. But i was disappointed that Pete was ignored again. If Gildenlow becomes a part of the team, it would force Neal to make it more versatile which will only make Transatlantic sound different. Or else, they will get named monotonous.
knumorvid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 13:33
No more vocal contributing from Portnoy, please!

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 19:11
I would love if Daniel became permanent, but I wonder if it would mess up the dynamics for the worse and not better so...
But I would love to hear his intense emotional vocal lines in some TA moments
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 20:43
Originally posted by appudds appudds wrote:

Exactly. The only thing I am disappointed is that Transatlantic is too much Neal dominated.
Especially, the first album.
His voice is great and so are his keyboard parts. But it gets very monotonous after a while.
Stolt has this weird, cruel voice. Portnoy has a deep voice. And pete's voice was absolutely brilliant in Stranger In Your Soul. 
Expected more contributing in vocals from each of the members in The Whirlwind. But i was disappointed that Pete was ignored again. If Gildenlow becomes a part of the team, it would force Neal to make it more versatile which will only make Transatlantic sound different. Or else, they will get named monotonous.

you and others have made some great points.  maybe daniel would give TA some edge.  

it seems that with the first TA album, neal was running dry AND it really wasn't a group yet.  they really came into their own with BAF. i still don't own whirlwind.  i've grown to like mike's vocalsWink

i hope they do a big tour this time again.  i will travel across the country to see them!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 02:07
Craig, just get The Whirlwind.
appudds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 07:37
The Whirlwind is a very good album
First of all, you need the guts to do a 80 min song (Although its split into 12 tracks, i consider it an epic)
Second, the music is more evenly distributed to various genres. Take it prog or rock or metal or symphonic or acoustic parts
Third, the continuity is brilliant. Especially, how they are able to spread out the progressions from the overture segment throughout the song
Fourth, the grand finale is really emotional. A fitting end to a great epic. Although i expected some epic guitar solo in the end (octavarium style)
Fifth, Roine Stolt has been given more vocal duty(The Whirlwind, A Man Can Feel) than ever which make the music more versatile. Also, Portnoy gets some main vocal patterns as well (Set us Free, Rose Colored Glasses). And Morse's voice has matured soo much. Including the diversity (From the normal voice to an emotional one in Dancing With Eternal Glory to a high pitch one in Lay Down Your Life
The only drawbacks are
1)The song gets too stretchy especially during On The Prowl, Evermore and Is It Really Happening 
2)Highly disappointed that Pete Trevawas wasnt given equal vocal duties. I expected more contribution from him especially after listening to his voice in Stranger In Your Soul. Also, his bass parts were barely heard like the first album (unlike BAF)
3)Portnoy's drumming. Even though I am a die hard fan of Mike Portnoy and he is my favourite drummer and my inspiration, his drumming was not upto the mark I personally feel. But that's just a minor issue when compared to the others.
All in all, its a great album. How better can you make a comeback with probably the longest epic ever written?
Just listen to it. Its an experience which only the Transatlantic crew can take you through

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 08:25
It hasn't made it's way back across the Atlantic yet? Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 08:34

Agreed.

Quote Highly disappointed that Pete Trevawas wasnt given equal vocal duties. I expected more contribution from him
Can't agree with this. Pete and Mike should only be used very sparingly on backing vocals in TA because their vocals are weak compared to Neal and Roine.

Quote Also, his bass parts were barely heard like the first album (unlike BAF)
What?? Shocked

Pete's bass sounds monstrous and magnificent on Whirlwind. It's the best I've heard from him since 1982 (when I first saw Marillion). Does your music system need upgrading? Wink

I agree with the rest of your points though Smile

Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 10:21
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Pete and Mike should only be used very sparingly on backing vocals in TA because their vocals are weak compared to Neal and Roine.
Pete and Mike should just shut the f up Tongue Good work in the vocal harmonizations, but they just don't have solo voices.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 12:21

Agreed.

Quote Highly disappointed that Pete Trevawas wasnt given equal vocal duties. I expected more contribution from him
Can't agree with this. Pete and Mike should only be used very sparingly on backing vocals in TA because their vocals are weak compared to Neal and Roine.

Quote Also, his bass parts were barely heard like the first album (unlike BAF)
What?? Shocked

Pete's bass sounds monstrous and magnificent on Whirlwind. It's the best I've heard from him since 1982 (when I first saw Marillion). Does your music system need upgrading? Wink

I agree with the rest of your points though Smile

Yeah The Bass was amazing on The Whirlwind (the bass line in Evermore is one of my favorites)
And I also thought there was some very good Portnoy drumming. The live version of The Whirlwind, Portnoy really rocks it...
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 14:45
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Craig, just get The Whirlwind.

i know! it's at the top of my list.  i'm such a pain in the assConfused
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 21:24
It's been since 2009 for the release of Whirlwind?  Where the hell have I been?  Oh yeah - overseas (until just over a year ago...)
appudds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 03:04

Agreed.

Actually, i think his voice was really good in Stranger in Your Soul. It had such a great feel and intensity.
But in the Whirlwind I agree, his voice was very weak shockingly (Dont know what happened to him)

And about the audibility of the bass, I couldn't quite hear much of bass when compared to BAF. The only parts were I could clearly hear the bass were in On the Prowl, Evermore..

And yeah. Portnoy's drumming was waaaay better live. He beat the sh*t out! Probably, he contained himself a bit in the album recording haha
appudds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 03:08
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

It hasn't made it's way back across the Atlantic yet? Tongue
Dont think so Tongue. By the looks of it, its taking a tour of all the seven continents and will only show up back at the fall of 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>