Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRob Reed (Magenta): New 'Kompendium' Project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rob Reed (Magenta): New 'Kompendium' Project.
    Posted: January 15 2013 at 14:24
Kompendium is now on the site in Crossover: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7790. For an interview with Rob by Alison Henderson at DPRP, giving us a great insight to the making of 'Beneath The Waves', go to http://www.dprp.net/wp/interviews/?page_id=4081  Thumbs Up
Gilberto View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 20:40
First time I've heard it, like it but no too impressed. Second time...much better. By the third time, I was overwhelmed with emotions and feelings. What a great record and recording. I'm a 60 years old Progressive Rock fan, and what Rob Reed has done here should be considered a classic for the ages. This is for me, not the record of the year, but the masterpiece for the last two decades. Not a single moment in this almost 60 minutes of music is wasted. Is a perfect balanced record: subtle but at the same time powerful; the use of opera singers in the right places. Same for the chorus and the angelic voice of Angharad Brinn, as well as the Synergy vocals. Balsamo's voice spine tingling; Gavin Harrison's drumming just what was required for this type of music. The recording: well balanced through all the music spectrum... spectacular. You can hear every instrument and voices very clearly. I know this was a mammoth project, but if this music were put in a DVD - in a live recording - would be an achievement of a great magnitude. Wish to have to money to produce it. Thanks for this monumental contribution to the music in general. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 14:09
Album on bandcamp now, but still not on the site...I've posted it in the New Bands forum to try and gee things along a bit: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91177Embarrassed

Thumbs Up

Edit: Only three of the tracks are currently streaming on bandcamp. Bit strange really, but there you go. Disapprove

Edited by yam yam - December 23 2012 at 14:26
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 11:26
2nd time through was better than the first especially since I gave it more attention. Stand by my at least 4 stars assessment.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 08:32
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

They should be added somewhere - but where? Symphonic? Or Neo? Or Folk?

I think Folk would be the best fit.

Beneath the Waves is build upon the iterations of almost stereotypical Celtic-ky harmonies and rhythms. I would add it, but have no clue how to, or whether I have the credentials to do so. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 03:27
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

yep all thoseLOL

my feeling is that it should go in the same section as Stephen Caudel which is Crossover. I've just had a read of the definition given on the site and I believe that would be the best fit.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 08:01
Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 23:50
So is anyone going to add this band and album to this site???
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 18:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I was a bit harsh making the comparison to Disney. Expected someone to pick me up on that but strangely no one did. Its actually a very original work with plenty of layers. Will stand many many listens. Nice one.

I have experienced the same kind of epiphany, facilitated by a WAV splitter. You see, about 1/2 of the album is for real like a soundtrack. But, I plucked out the tripe and ended up with 39:36 of fairly wholesome celto-symphonesque stuff ... with an adequate amount of Gavin and Nick, Q.E.D. I don't know what Hackett does on this album, but I have enough of his stuff from the '70s, so he gets a pass. 

Or, when playing it on vinyl:

Side A: play all
Side B: skip the first 5 minutes, then play to the end
Side C: play first 10 mins or so

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 16:38
I was a bit harsh making the comparison to Disney. Expected someone to pick me up on that but strangely no one did. Its actually a very original work with plenty of layers. Will stand many many listens. Nice one.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 03:53
Its not New Age but it is a little syrupy on first listen.Sounds like the soundtrack for Disney movie but with no outstanding songs or parts. A litle disappointed on first listen but will need more time to form a definitive opinion.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 16:03

Is it available for download/streaming anywhere? It is not on Spotify nor iTunes. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 15:38
I like New Age especially Stephen Caudel and I will admit to having a soft spot for Enya so that comparison does not bother me. I will listen to it tomorrow when I'm less tired.
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 11:44
Got mine yesterday and have given it one spin. Gonna take a lot more to get the full effect but first blush is very positive and Argonaught's comments should be taken with a grain of salt. Reed was going for beautiful music and that is the what I am getting with very little if any "new age" vibe. Troy Donockley is all over this so if you like his work, no brainer. Steve Balsamo is on almost all of the songs and that guy has got the goods in the vocal dept. I couldn't see giving this any less than 4 stars if I were rating it.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 04:47
Having looked at the lineup and the tasteful promo materials, we were very much impressed and pre-ordered the album on vinyl. With Gavin Harrison, Nick Beggs and Steve Hackett on board, how could anything go wrong? When the package arrived (after a long, long wait), we were once again impressed - this time by how pretty the blue vinyl was, and by the luxurious feel of the jacket and the sleeves..

But the first listen was disappointing. Maybe, the expectations had been disproportionately high?

If I had to describe Beneath the Waves in one sentence, I'd go for "An embellished hybrid between Enya and the Side A of A Scarcity of Miracles". Maybe, laced with an amount of Cocteau Twins and some exotic vocals. The music is pleasant, but it kind of goes in circles around the same theme ... does this make it a concept album? 

CHANGE OF HEART: I am going to listen to it again (since I have to drive for 2 hours straight tomorrow), and will see how the 2nd attempt goes :)

Edited by Argonaught - December 01 2012 at 05:01
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 09:50
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

... unless Iván already has this in Symphonic's thread ready to do the necessary when the album lands, I'm assuming no team has them as yet.

I hear you, I will mention it to my fellow Symphonics

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 09:24
Turns out that I did make a mistake with my orginal order. I have now done it properly and I have received e-mail confirmation. I just hope they havn't run out of copies!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2012 at 15:08
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

All pre-orders are said to have been shipped, so they should be arriving very shortly on your doorsteps now. Smile

Time we got this project up on the site somewhere methinks. Ermm

Will the appropriate team pick it up from here and evaluate them for inclusion as a new band, or do I need to create another thread for them in 'Suggest New Bands and Artists' forum? Theyre not on progfreak as yet, so unless Iván already has this in Symphonic's thread ready to do the necessary when the album lands, I'm assuming no team has them as yet.
Have yet to receive mine which makes me think there was an issue with my order. I'll give it a few days before I place an order with my usual supplier. Got plenty of new things to listen to so not as annoying as it might have been.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2012 at 13:41
no-one has suggested this for inclusion yet? Shocked
rockfloydgary View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 12:25
got my cd/dvd copy yesterday it looks awesome, great work rob.i am going to donate all day sunday to play. BENEATH THE WAVES.Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>