Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeil Peart vs. Gavin Harrison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which monster drummer do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [63.01%]
27 [36.99%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neil Peart vs. Gavin Harrison
    Posted: August 03 2016 at 14:57
I do agree, as many have said, that Gavin Harrison brings a lot of subtlety and nuance to what he does, and can swing, which as a jazz fan I really appreciate. But when it comes to delivering a downright bombastic, arse-kicking rock drum solo he is no slouch either.  I saw the current KC lineup play the Hackney Empire last year and on 21CSM he let fly with a vengeance, it was quite a showstopper.

He gets my vote and is probably one of my two favourite drummers currently working in a rock idiom (alongside Kenny Grohowski).

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 12:42
It's why KC had sooooooooo many line ups, and Rush had essentially one and PT maybe two, with drummer change. Seems to me if I was a musician and Fripp asked me to play with him, I would go into it knowing I probably would not be back for a second round.

Love KC music but have never been a big fan of Fripp as a musician or band leader....writes great music though.

Fripp is not the type of band member I think Peart would be comfortable with.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 10:54
^^^ I've heard FRipp is very fussy about drummers. He didn't like Brufords drumming on the track Red apparently.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 09:02
Hi,

After seeing Gavin playing in King Crimson, there is no doubt. I am almost pretty sure that Neil would not last a whole lot with Robert Fripp! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 05:14
  Although I can mention some other great drummers like John Bonham, Phill Colins ( in Genesis "golden era" ) , Andy  Ward , Phil Ehart , Ginger Baker, Barriemore Barlow , Narada Michael Walden , Mike Portnoy , Lenny White , Ian Paice etc... 
My vote is Neil Peart !!!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 04:36
^Nice post there. I was going to point out the very same. Peart more or less created a niche for himself (much thanks to BonhamWink) and has influenced an ocean of metal/hard rock drummers...but there is nothing in his repertoire that Gavin couldn't play with his eyes closed. 
Now that doesn't mean anything to me as far as preference goes, mostly because I listen for feel and vibe more than anything else. It is just a little irritating to see people, who've obviously never sat on a drumming stool, carelessly discard a man like Gavin just because they look at Peart like this rhythmic deity. He is though, but his rep far supersedes his actual skills imho.
That being said, I think I'd rate the two just about equally. They fit in with their respective bands beautifully, although it must be said that Gavin is far more versatile due to his many years spent as a studio musician playing pretty much everything from art pop to fusion. He even plays on Battiato's Gommalacca from 1998Approve 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 03:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by gerdtheater gerdtheater wrote:

Is this some kind of joke? Master Peart vs Gavin Harrison? I mean, I like how Gavin plays, but compared with Mr. Peart, he has nothing to do!

Harrison is more about adding layers ,textures and atmosphere (and rhythmTongue) but for me Peart is an absolute giant of prog music. Could Harrison play Tom Sawyer? (perhaps) ..or 2112?? (umm that might challenge him a bitLOL)

Yes, I reckon Harrison could play those tunes in his sleep.

Peart is fantastic, but speaking as a drummer I've not heard him do anything that Gavin Harrison couldn't do. 2112 is relatively simple compared to many Rush tracks and a fair number of PT tracks too. It's fairly straight forward rock rhythms. Now, the middle section of Freewill or sections of La Villa are another matter but still not out of Harrisons grasp IMO.

Peart is my preferred drummer because by and large I prefer the music he makes to the stuff that Harrison has been involved with, but there is no doubting Harrison's playing ability. I put him above numerous classic prog drummers.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 14:26
Peart.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 14:03
I like them just about the same.  And I do like both a lot.  Neither is one of my top 10 drummers, although if I were restricting it to just a list of progressive rock drummers (and not including fusion) they'd definitely be in a top 20.

A few of the drummers mentioned just above my post are in my top 10: Bruford--my #1 overall, Carl Palmer and John Bonham.  A bunch of my favorite drummers are jazz and jazz fusion players though--Jack DeJohnette, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Peter Erskine, Ed Thigpen, etc.

Edited by Terrapin Station - August 02 2016 at 14:04
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 22:12
Bonham
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 20:11
^ Carl Palmer smokes either of them...and Harrison as well
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 19:55
Originally posted by Mista-Gordie Mista-Gordie wrote:

Only Bill Bruford is maybe better than Neil Peart

This ^
BTW, I wouldn't put Gavin in a TOP 100.

Gavin Harrison vs Mike Portnoy might be a better poll, IMO.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Sardonite Calamity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 15:35
I'm gonna have to go with Gavin Harrison. (Close matchup although) I could really consider Gavin as the master of the ghost notes.
I used to have a really good signature but I forgot it...
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 15:01
Only Bill Bruford is maybe better than Neil Peart
Souljacker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 14:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Souljacker Souljacker wrote:

Peart is a great drummer and  I do love his playing, his drumming feels a bit cold at times though, too mechanical and emotionless, just the vibe I get sometimes.

Try coming up with something on your own....This has been stated by all the non-fans on this site for too long, the excuse is long in the tooth.
I love PT and think Gavin Harrison is a premiere percussionist......Some of his work is beyond amazing. The only reason I listen to the last two OSI albums is due to Gavin's drumming.
The 05Ric stuff is pretty boring to me......What is much better and where Gavin is starting to shine better is on his jazz/fusion drumming.
Something Neil made popular with his Buddy Rich tribute concerts, and others are trying to do, like Gavin....not saying he is a copycat, but he realizes it improves his drumming skills.

And actually from a jazz perspective, I think Marco Minneman is much better, his drumming with The Aristocrats is flawless and his live work on Steven Wilson's GFD Tour was simply brilliant.

All that being said its been proven time and time again by musician polls/magazines that Neil Peart has been tops for well over 20yrs....and rightly so.

I'm not letting anyone put words in my mouth, thanks. I stated it cos theres an element of truth in it.

The 05Ric stuff will never trouble the top 40 for sure, I just listen to it purely for Gavins playing.

Well, Gavin has won more Modern Drummer polls in recent years since he came into the prog spotlight with PT so I don't know where that last statement is coming from.

We can agree on Marco, I'm a huge fan. There's a video of him playing Dance of Eternity in a garage (must have been rehearsing for the Dream Theater auditions). He plays it with such ease it's jaw dropping, smiling all the time, playing up to the camera, his talent is frightening.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 22:54
^ He's good too.....but I would prefer Marco.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 21:48
Gavin would destroy Marco in a poll. 

Jon Theodore is a drummer that demands more attention. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 21:47
Maybe it's time for a new poll. Gavin versus Marco. 

It's very hard to choose between those two. Gavin is a beast, obviously, but Marco gives him a real run for his money. He's flipping FANTASTIC in Steven's solo band.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 21:38
Originally posted by Souljacker Souljacker wrote:

Peart is a great drummer and  I do love his playing, his drumming feels a bit cold at times though, too mechanical and emotionless, just the vibe I get sometimes.

Try coming up with something on your own....This has been stated by all the non-fans on this site for too long, the excuse is long in the tooth.
I love PT and think Gavin Harrison is a premiere percussionist......Some of his work is beyond amazing. The only reason I listen to the last two OSI albums is due to Gavin's drumming.
The 05Ric stuff is pretty boring to me......What is much better and where Gavin is starting to shine better is on his jazz/fusion drumming.
Something Neil made popular with his Buddy Rich tribute concerts, and others are trying to do, like Gavin....not saying he is a copycat, but he realizes it improves his drumming skills.

And actually from a jazz perspective, I think Marco Minneman is much better, his drumming with The Aristocrats is flawless and his live work on Steven Wilson's GFD Tour was simply brilliant.

All that being said its been proven time and time again by musician polls/magazines that Neil Peart has been tops for well over 20yrs....and rightly so.

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 19:23
^ C'mon, Harrison all the way! 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>