Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe (Factually) Greatest Drummer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 10:04
I'm quite taken by the thought of getting Portnoy, Mangini, White, Bruford, Collins, Harrison, Bozzio, Peart, Palmer and Mason in a room and asking them to play a badum tish.

"Okay guys, what we need is a straight forward: Ba-Dum... Tish! so, okay, after 4: one... two... thr... what's that? No Mike, you won't be needing the gong for this, oh what! you need it anyway?... okay we'll wait while your drum tech sets it up... yes Carl, the crane has arrived and we'll be setting up your kit shortly... sorry Nick what did you say? yes, I think it is in common time... yes, that is the same as 4/4 time, yes I know it's only three hits but it's still 4/4 time, yes, I know 3 plus 4 is 7 but it's not 7/4 time it's 4/4time... well think of the 4th beat as a rest... pardon Mike? is the gong setup now? Oh, not yet but you want to know what a rest is... okay, guys can you tell Mike what a rest is? .... anyone? ... Terry? ... Gavin? Carl? Mike? Mike? Alan? Bill surely you... oh, okay so no one then ... it's when you don't hit a anything for a beat... why are you all looking at me like that? ... well yes, of course there's a point to employing a drummer to not hit a drum... yes I do know drums cost a lot of money that doesn't mean you have to hit all of them. Look, while we're waiting for Carl and Mike to have their kits set up can we run through it one more time... " <<twenty minutes later>> "yeah, okay... umm... that was good fellows but maybe just a little on the long side.. just smidgen too many notes perhaps and Neil you know what I'm going to say don't you?... yes way too much cowbell... hang on... can someone give Alan a nudge and wake him up? .... no Bill not like that and certainly not with a mallet, now can you help him back onto his stool please... what's that Terry? ... ah, it's called a throne, that little stool you sit on is called a throne .... okay, no I didn't know that, thank you for that, so would you mind helping Bill pick Alan up and help him to his 'throne'... thank you. Yes Gavin, you wanted to ask something... yes I think Carl is finished with the crane now, what do you want it for? ah right... upside down you say... and why's that? you're fed up with prog and want to audition for Slipknot... well we could try but we're not really equipped for it and I don't think Phil's suspenders are going to be good enough for a harness... hold it just a second would you please... Phil... Phil... erm, excuse me, hey, Phil... PHIL! PHILLIP COLLINS! ... yes, you... could I just stop you there for a minute... yeah you could say there is a slight problem... 'ba-do-diddly-do-bah-pah-pish' isn't quite the same is it... ba-dum tish ... that's it and that's all we want... ba dum tish... no 'do-diddlies' no 'bah-pah-pishes' just ba-dum tish and please Phil this time we'd like you to play it on the drums... please don't sing it again... look, can someone give Alan another nudge? .... no not you Bill, someone else this time... Alan keeps taking your lunch-money... oh not lunch-money, your meal-ticket... yes, if you say so I suppose he does... Okay then, are we all ready? Oh, you'd like a count in Mike, fair enough... can someone count us in... anyone... look someone here must know how to count to 4..."

Edited by Dean - September 20 2012 at 10:21
What?
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 10:04
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Interesting that you  equate speed with greatness.
A lot of nastiness, this thread has, but I do think SnowDog summed it best.

DTGuitarDude, I am honestly thrilled you enjoy Dream TheatRE so much, for me it is the music of YES.

For my part here I will offer a quote:

"In order for progressive music to excel and have a new generation of listeners, I think the melodic, thematic development of which ever piece is used as the main vehicle has to be distinctive and memorable. It’s all well and good to be technical and fast all the time, but I think a lot of it after a while just washes over you."

So much for all the little speed runs your guitarist and drummer do.  Eddie Van Halen did the speed thing decades ago
but with soul & composition.  Al Dimeola did the speed thing, but flatpicking each note, not using two hand tricks that any guitarist who plays for more than one year can easily do.  Oh that Euro dude, Yngwie also did the speed thing decades ago...

You think DT is the best band in the world, God Bless You.  I think Three Dog Night was the best band in the world, but I keep that to myself(for good reason).

.....Oh by the way, the quote above is Keith Emerson, perhaps you have heard of him?

I believe the Brits would say:  "Game, set & match!"

Cheers!

DM
OF COURSE I'VE HEARD OF KEITH EMERSON!  ELP was, as I've said before, the first band I was a fan of (the first band I bought every single cd by).  Now, did YOU know that when asked about modern Progressive bands, the first, and only band, Keith Emerson himself mentioned was....(super fast drumroll at 1247 single strikes per minute)...DREAM THEATER?!!!  Wink  Check it out:
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 10:07
LOL

LOL at Dean's post.  I purposely didn't quote it here because I know he'll want to edit it. Not that I think it needs editing. Cool

Edited by HolyMoly - September 20 2012 at 10:07
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 10:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I like Prague rock.
The Check Cheque Czech is in the post.
Brilliant back to back to back puns, by the way...Clap

Seriously Dean, you mean the Royal Mail?   Those retards suck! Stupid, daft twits lost my 2 new ELP 5.1 discs
in the mail, they have to send another package after I already waited for 8 weeks....

Don't you loyal subjects of that old bat you coronated and call "Mum" know where America is?
Or did you loose track after Lord Conwallis had his lunch handed to him back in the 18th century by a bunch
of us underpowered but ever-pesky Yanks!

Well???

And where's my Tarkus 5.1 DVD-Audio disc???

And by the way, Dean:

How ya been my lad???Tongue  Please know that my little sharpe edge tete-a tete is just my way of saying I miss
you.Embarrassed

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 10:13
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

He is fast.  Was he in a band before DT?
He was.  It was called Extreme, but I never really got into them.  I keep meaning to listen to a whole album all the way through, but haven't ever done so.

I didn't know that. And I always hated Extreme's drumming and their drum sound as well. Said that they still have a lot of great songs especially in their last album.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 10:33
I'm quite groovy at the moment Dennis, thanks for asking - how the devil are you?
What?
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 11:26

LOL

LOL at Dean's post.  I purposely didn't quote it here because I know he'll want to edit it. Not that I think it needs editing. Cool
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 11:27

I'm quite taken by the thought of getting Portnoy, Mangini, White, Bruford, Collins, Harrison, Bozzio, Peart, Palmer and Mason in a room and asking them to play a badum tish.

"Okay guys, what we need is a straight forward: Ba-Dum... Tish! so, okay, after 4: one... two... thr... what's that? No Mike, you won't be needing the gong for this, oh what! you need it anyway?... okay we'll wait while your drum tech sets it up... yes Carl, the crane has arrived and we'll be setting up your kit shortly... sorry Nick what did you say? yes, I think it is in common time... yes, that is the same as 4/4 time, yes I know it's only three hits but it's still 4/4 time, yes, I know 3 plus 4 is 7 but it's not 7/4 time it's 4/4time... well think of the 4th beat as a rest... pardon Mike? is the gong setup now? Oh, not yet but you want to know what a rest is... okay, guys can you tell Mike what a rest is? .... anyone? ... Terry? ... Gavin? Carl? Mike? Mike? Alan? Bill surely you... oh, okay so no one then ... it's when you don't hit a anything for a beat... why are you all looking at me like that? ... well yes, of course there's a point to employing a drummer to not hit a drum... yes I do know drums cost a lot of money that doesn't mean you have to hit all of them. Look, while we're waiting for Carl and Mike to have their kits set up can we run through it one more time... " <<twenty minutes later>> "yeah, okay... umm... that was good fellows but maybe just a little on the long side.. just smidgen too many notes perhaps and Neil you know what I'm going to say don't you?... yes way too much cowbell... hang on... can someone give Alan a nudge and wake him up? .... no Bill not like that and certainly not with a mallet, now can you help him back onto his stool please... what's that Terry? ... ah, it's called a throne, that little stool you sit on is called a throne .... okay, no I didn't know that, thank you for that, so would you mind helping Bill pick Alan up and help him to his 'throne'... thank you. Yes Gavin, you wanted to ask something... yes I think Carl is finished with the crane now, what do you want it for? ah right... upside down you say... and why's that? you're fed up with prog and want to audition for Slipknot... well we could try but we're not really equipped for it and I don't think Phil's suspenders are going to be good enough for a harness... hold it just a second would you please... Phil... Phil... erm, excuse me, hey, Phil... PHIL! PHILLIP COLLINS! ... yes, you... could I just stop you there for a minute... yeah you could say there is a slight problem... 'ba-do-diddly-do-bah-pah-pish' isn't quite the same is it... ba-dum tish ... that's it and that's all we want... ba dum tish... no 'do-diddlies' no 'bah-pah-pishes' just ba-dum tish and please Phil this time we'd like you to play it on the drums... please don't sing it again... look, can someone give Alan another nudge? .... no not you Bill, someone else this time... Alan keeps taking your lunch-money... oh not lunch-money, your meal-ticket... yes, if you say so I suppose he does... Okay then, are we all ready? Oh, you'd like a count in Mike, fair enough... can someone count us in... anyone... look someone here must know how to count to 4..."

This is possibly the funniest post I've read on here.  Kudos  Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 12:50

I'm quite groovy at the moment Dennis, thanks for asking - how the devil are you?
I am jolly good my fine friend, but quite frankly I am just trying to ride your coat tails, my head is still spinning after
readking your post about all the great drummmers geting together.  I did in fact work in the media for twenty years,
and I will be cashing in every chip I may have earned by having my old mates disect & interpret what you just wrote.
It may take years, I'm afraid, but the early feeback is that it is truly groundbreaking if not highly alarming.

I just had a birthday & I have a treasure for a toddler daughter so life could not be better for me.  PLUS I have the 5.1
ELP 1st two albums coming my way so I know I am now in Heaven!

Keep these jokers around here(the whole forum) in line, ok?Wink
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:10

OF COURSE I'VE HEARD OF KEITH EMERSON!  ELP was, as I've said before, the first band I was a fan of (the first band I bought every single cd by).  Now, did YOU know that when asked about modern Progressive bands, the first, and only band, Keith Emerson himself mentioned was....(super fast drumroll at 1247 single strikes per minute)...DREAM THEATER?!!!  Wink  Check it out:
Hmm, at first I was worried that you got me....Confused   But then I saw that was the same article I was quoting to you.Wink
Keith says he like Jordan Rudess.  All he says about the band is how loud they were and how they affected his lower
G.I. tract.   Plus JR gave him free seats in the front so he had to say something nice.  AND lets not forget JR left the band cause he was sick all all the redundant single note stacatto over-playing in EVERY song., leaving him no room to play.  In addition this ties into the speed guitar & drumming thing.  An artist can only do that when the rest of the music is doing nothing but pure repetition of a beat or note.  Listen to Joe Satriano solo over mindless one note 4/4 thumping and then listen to how Eric Johnson improvises over actual song structures... Any musician can ramble over a foundation of one note in a repetitive patern.  How does an artist play when others are actually playing as well?  Its called harmony & melody interaction.Wink  

Ok, enough, I don't wanna bash your favorite band, I quoted Emerson, you quoted Emerson, nice return of service.
(Same exact article.LOL)

I need to go check and see if my ELP records arrived yet.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:12
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Wake me up when BaldFriede sees this thread.

Awesome....I was thinking the same thing as I got thru half this thread........LOL!!!!!!!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:24

Hmm, at first I was worried that you got me....Confused   But then I saw that was the same article I was quoting to you.Wink
Keith says he like Jordan Rudess.  All he says about the band is how loud they were and how they affected his lower
G.I. tract.   Plus JR gave him free seats in the front so he had to say something nice.  AND lets not forget JR left the band cause he was sick all all the redundant single note stacatto over-playing in EVERY song., leaving him no room to play.  In addition this ties into the speed guitar & drumming thing.  An artist can only do that when the rest of the music is doing nothing but pure repetition of a beat or note.  Listen to Joe Satriano solo over mindless one note 4/4 thumping and then listen to how Eric Johnson improvises over actual song structures... Any musician can ramble over a foundation of one note in a repetitive patern.  How does an artist play when others are actually playing as well?  Its called harmony & melody interaction.Wink  

Ok, enough, I don't wanna bash your favorite band, I quoted Emerson, you quoted Emerson, nice return of service.
(Same exact article.LOL)

I need to go check and see if my ELP records arrived yet.....

UMMMM...JR left the band?  Being one of the biggest DT fans ever, that is news to me...not heard such a piece of news...what does JR stand for in this instance?

Yeah, you're right, Keith is a little vague about whether or not he likes DT, but I do think it's interesting that when asked specifically about modern prog bands, that's the ONLY ONE he mentions...and you say they don't have memorable melodies, I say they do (I could sing you the melody of any one of their songs).  To me, just having a memorable melody doesn't cut it - there has to be something interesting behind it.  This is why I hate Lady Gag-me (just an example).  She does absolutely nothing musically interesting.  Whereas a band like DT is not only writing memorable melodies, but they are also doing something interesting with them.

Careful who you insult there, buddy - Joe Satriani actually entertains me to some extent while Eric Johnson has always kind of bored me.  But that's ok - you can like Eric and I can like Joe.

In the end, it's all preference.  But I just love that I can say that my favorite band has something measurable that shows their drummer is the best.  Wink

Edited by dtguitarfan - September 20 2012 at 13:49
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:40
Yeah...knocking Satriani is uncalled for.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:50
In his defense I'm sure I have a bootleg where Phil Collins does a Ba-dum tish!   So I think Dean does old baldy a disservice.  So I guess that would make him the best drummer. 
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:55
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

In his defense I'm sure I have a bootleg where Phil Collins does a Ba-dum tish!   So I think Dean does old baldy a disservice.  So I guess that would make him the best drummer. 

Yeah, but Mangini could do 415 Ba-dum-tish's a minute!  WinkLOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:55
*On Genesis Live? Or does my  memory do me a disservice?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:59
I think I remember a badum tish on the opening monologue to Supper's Ready on the Archive box set ..?

Edited by HolyMoly - September 20 2012 at 13:59
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:00
^I thought it followed  Mike Rutherfords bass pedal solo......

Will listen now  to check
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:01

AND lets not forget JR left the band cause he was sick all all the redundant single note stacatto over-playing in EVERY song., leaving him no room to play.

Looking on Dream Theater's page right now, I see nothing about this.  I do see an interview with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess on 8/24/2012:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/dream-theater-argentina-20120824

This would seem to indicate he has NOT left the band because of any fictitious sickness from fictitious redundant single not stacatto over-playing.  Ooooh, also, Dream Theater have been reigning as the top seller on Jammit (app that lets you take certain instruments out of a song so that you can play along), and currently hold 8 places out of the top 10 songs:
http://www.dreamtheater.net/board_posts/dream-theater-top-selling-on-jammit

Heh heh...you know what this means...this means that not only do they possess among their ranks THE (factually) best drummer ( Wink ) but they are also THE (factually) most influential band IN THE WORLD because so many people are trying to learn how to play their songs!!!!

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:01

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Yeah, but Mangini could do 415 Ba-dum-tish's a minute!  WinkLOL

But that wouldn't be funny. Comedy is all about timing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>