Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLove for Tales from Topographic Oceans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 07:54
You're right. I must admit that there is a little something of the first movement of the first Mahler's symphony. A perfume, I would say, but nothing more.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 12:28
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I'm just listening to it for the first time right now, and enjoying it quite a bit.

ShockedBig smile
I'm finished with it now.  The Ancient is incredible.After finally listening to that, I think I better understand what one of the members of Yes (can't remember who) meant when he said that Yes was like what Stravinsky would have done as a rock musician.  The album is at the avant-garde end of the symphonic spectrum, really.

This was your first time? ... Shocked ... and thou shalt hear it again. Smile ... Headbanger

🙌 has your mind been blown by the technical wizardry?? Be in the right head space to drink that sucker in. Wow
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 15:46
It's at it's best - Nice warm room, get ready to be relaxed - and lie down (get the room ambiently lit)....Put the two Cd's into the player and set it going - and let the music flow over you - don't forget that it's not that much longer than the whirlwind by Transatlantic....
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 08:21
In many ways, my favorite Yes album.  However, I always find it instructional to seek out the thoughts of the band members on TFTO. 

For example, we know Rick didn't think much of the project from the get-go.

Sayeth Rick:  "That was not my favourite Yes album and I said so at the time. Maturely, I renamed it Tales From Toby's Graphic Go-Kart."

Perhaps Wakeman's lack of interest was a good thing, since the keyboards are not as dominating as on other Wakeman projects.  I believe TFTO was primarily a collaboration between Anderson and Howe, and the rest of the band more or less came along.  

Squire plays fretless bass on "The Remembering," which gives it a very special vibe.  Listen for it, he rarely used that instrument to my knowledge.

Edited by cstack3 - September 28 2012 at 08:25
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 19:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

In many ways, my favorite Yes album.  However, I always find it instructional to seek out the thoughts of the band members on TFTO. 

For example, we know Rick didn't think much of the project from the get-go.

Sayeth Rick:  "That was not my favourite Yes album and I said so at the time. Maturely, I renamed it Tales From Toby's Graphic Go-Kart."

Perhaps Wakeman's lack of interest was a good thing, since the keyboards are not as dominating as on other Wakeman projects.  I believe TFTO was primarily a collaboration between Anderson and Howe, and the rest of the band more or less came along.  

Squire plays fretless bass on "The Remembering," which gives it a very special vibe.  Listen for it, he rarely used that instrument to my knowledge.

Tales was the fist major challenge for the band and they failed it miserably(with Wakeman leaving)  The prior two smash albums, Fragile & CTTE were almost perfectly split among the contributors.  Siberian Khatru being a great example of ALL band members contributing, it was inevitable that one or another band member dominate on a future album and that was Tales.  Its right on the record that it was almost completely written by Jon & Steve in a hotel suite.   Squire didn't seem to mind and he wound up adding some great bass work to the album.  Rick's keys were actually some of the greatest orchestral work ever in prog.  Obviously Rick didn't dig that Jon & Steve ran the show.
Give and take I say, ride whoever has the hot hand, on a later ABW&H record Rick had a big part and the album was very weak, so artists can whine all they want but the music stands on its own.  Tales is probably a BiLLION times better than the one ABW&H record which was much more evenly done between band members....

P.S.  I am a HUGE Wakey fan , I have all his records & CDs so I am not anti-Wakeman at all....But Wakey should have hung in there like Squire and kept working with the band, I say...

What do ya think of that Chuckie???
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 23:57
^Sounds good to me, Dennis!  You obviously have thought your response through, and I agree with your analysis!  

When I saw Jon Anderson's recent "The Voice of Yes" show, he gave us a treat by performing generous excerpts from "The Revealing Science of God," accompanying himself on a lovely polyphonic synth!  

Since I never saw the "Tales" tour (grrrrr, due to the oil embargo of that era!), I always enjoyed whenever the band would play some of it live.  However, I've only seen "Ritual" in concert, with Moraz as well as with Wakeman.  Here's Steve Howe playing "Ritual" on the "Relayer" tour, 14 August, 1976!  

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 14:50

^Sounds good to me, Dennis!  You obviously have thought your response through, and I agree with your analysis!  

When I saw Jon Anderson's recent "The Voice of Yes" show, he gave us a treat by performing generous excerpts from "The Revealing Science of God," accompanying himself on a lovely polyphonic synth!  

Since I never saw the "Tales" tour (grrrrr, due to the oil embargo of that era!), I always enjoyed whenever the band would play some of it live.  However, I've only seen "Ritual" in concert, with Moraz as well as with Wakeman.  Here's Steve Howe playing "Ritual" on the "Relayer" tour, 14 August, 1976!  

Haha, you are the ONLY one here who thinks I think anything through, thanksEmbarrassed

Isn't that the Steve Howe picture you posted during our picture wars?

You never saw Revealing Science live???  They played that in 1996 (I drove to SLO for that oneTongue) and they played in on the national tour in 1999 I think.  I saw that tour in upstate New York of all places....

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 17:31
Hi,

I always think that if the rock "idiot kiss the number one" press had not trashed this thing as they did, that Rick might have appreciated his work in it ... way more than he ever has. The fact that he is seeing the appreciation and fans discussion of that piece, has changed his words quite a bit and he is appreciating "the freedom" that he speaks of, and how much he had when he did that piece of music.

One more thing ... you know that one reason why Rick didn't like it, is because it was a nightmare to play live! You also know that Chris, Steve, John and Alan had no issues with it ... so it makes me wonder if his golden hair and long capes were more important than the music!

Few pieces of "progressive music" stand out for its 110% integrity ... and continuity  ... and work ... and this piece is such.

Sorry Rick.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 17:40
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Haha, you are the ONLY one here who thinks I think anything through, thanksEmbarrassed

Isn't that the Steve Howe picture you posted during our picture wars?

You never saw Revealing Science live???  They played that in 1996 (I drove to SLO for that oneTongue) and they played in on the national tour in 1999 I think.  I saw that tour in upstate New York of all places....

Yes, the same photo!  I thought it appropriate to toss it into the discussion.  

Sadly, on the very same day when Yes were playing in Chicago in 1997 (with Igor on keyboards), my wife and I were flying out of O'Hare Airport on our way to the Virgin Islands to get married!  We flew directly over the Rosemont Theater where Yes were playing, and I knew that several of my best friends were at that show!  What we must sacrifice for love! 

They did tell me that Yes played "Revealing Science of God" in that show, GRRRR!!  However, these days, there are many good recordings via YouTube, so at least I can see what I missed! 

And, Ginny more than made up for that missed concert by accompanying me to the 35th Anniversary show in Chicago (where they performed a blazing version of "Ritual").  The band members were attracted to Ginny as you can see!  We had a wonderful time at that one.  

Thanks Dennis!  We can't see every single concert we wish we could, but we can try!!    Cheers, Chuck 

p.s. Alan says "Hi!"  What a lovely chap he was!!  Squire, on the other hand....GRUMP-EE!!  

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 19:12

Sadly [...] my wife and I were flying out of O'Hare Airport on our way to the Virgin Islands to get married!

Must have been a bummer! LOLWink
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 19:29

Steve Howe looks like such a beast in that picture.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 00:17
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Sadly [...] my wife and I were flying out of O'Hare Airport on our way to the Virgin Islands to get married!

Tongue in cheek!!  However, I DID look at the theater's rooftop as we flew out (the place was right next to Chicago's O'Hare Airport).   

For your listening pleasure!  Hear angel Mellotrons and devil Rickenbackers. You are invited.

"The Revealing Science of God" starts at 0:41:18

"The Remembering" starts at 1:01:25 

"The Ancient" starts at 1:22:40

"Ritual" starts at 1:44:00

Edited by cstack3 - September 30 2012 at 02:02
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 02:54
I like YES, Im a fan, but this album is (IMO) complete balderdash.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 03:03
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I'm just listening to it for the first time right now, and enjoying it quite a bit.

ShockedBig smile
I'm finished with it now.  The Ancient is incredible.After finally listening to that, I think I better understand what one of the members of Yes (can't remember who) meant when he said that Yes was like what Stravinsky would have done as a rock musician.  The album is at the avant-garde end of the symphonic spectrum, really.

This was your first time? ... Shocked ... and thou shalt hear it again. Smile ... Headbanger

🙌 has your mind been blown by the technical wizardry?? Be in the right head space to drink that sucker in. Wow

It's not so much the technical wizardry as the music itself and the atmospheres I really dig.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 30 2012 at 03:04
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 11:56

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

For your listening pleasure!  Hear angel Mellotrons and devil Rickenbackers. You are invited.

"The Revealing Science of God" starts at 0:41:18

"The Remembering" starts at 1:01:25 

"The Ancient" starts at 1:22:40

"Ritual" starts at 1:44:00

This was a MASSIVE bootleg that was taken out of circulation by the YES management, btw ... and it was 3 LP's and I came close to getting it, but did not have the moolah in those days to spend $75 dollars on it! However, I never made it to Berkeley where I likely would have found this in any of the stores there. I was not, however, aware that a video existed of it ... and yeah ... I would love to get a copy of it!

The order appears incorrect since they played TALES first in its entirety, took a break, and then played the other stuff and I believe they did Close to the Edge as an encore at the Long Beach Arena ... don't quote me on that.

I was told that the quality of the recording was not great, as it appeared to have been a copy of a copy, but then that's like saying that "Bonzo's Birthday Party" or "Live on Blueberry Hill" had exceptional quality, which they didn't, but the energy and fervor in the music ... was totally out of this world! (that was Led Zeppelin, btw).

Edited by moshkito - September 30 2012 at 12:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 12:38
^Thanks for the details!  I wasn't aware of this boot until I found it on YouTube (and there is no video, just audio).  

Considering that Yes filmed "Yessongs" and had a decent box-office with both the movie and LP release, I'm surprised that there is no film of the Tales tour!  It had massive, Roger Dean sets, and played in huge venues, so it would have been an ideal subject for a documentary.  Same for "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway."  

Please take the clip as I presented it, as a snaphot of this band in their prime, performing one of the most remarkable compositions in the prog idiom!  
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 22:11

^Thanks for the details!  I wasn't aware of this boot until I found it on YouTube (and there is no video, just audio).  

Considering that Yes filmed "Yessongs" and had a decent box-office with both the movie and LP release, I'm surprised that there is no film of the Tales tour!  It had massive, Roger Dean sets, and played in huge venues, so it would have been an ideal subject for a documentary.  Same for "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway."  

Please take the clip as I presented it, as a snaphot of this band in their prime, performing one of the most remarkable compositions in the prog idiom!  
I was at a 74' show in Roanoke, VA and know they played the entire CTTE and TFTO suites along with a few of the hits of the times, but what I can't remember (seat location and too much youthful activities) is what the set or stage looked like.  I do seem to remember (I think) some moving/lighted colorful stage item over some of the band.  Does this sound familiar to the TFTO tour?

They played the CTTE stuff first, then the TFTO suite.  Amazing!

Edited by AEProgman - September 30 2012 at 22:14
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 23:03
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I was at a 74' show in Roanoke, VA and know they played the entire CTTE and TFTO suites along with a few of the hits of the times, but what I can't remember (seat location and too much youthful activities) is what the set or stage looked like.  I do seem to remember (I think) some moving/lighted colorful stage item over some of the band.  Does this sound familiar to the TFTO tour?

Youthful activities, eh?  GUILTY!  Me, that is!! 8-)

Rick's comments on Roger Dean's stage set are priceless:

'Take a left here, Rick, climb over that giant mushroom, past the spaceship and just behind, beyond that cloud, are your keyboards.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1045969/Yes-original-Spinal-Tap-says-Rick-Wakeman-Seventies-prog-rock-supergroup.html#ixzz2815Qde3j 

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 23:21

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Youthful activities, eh?  GUILTY!  Me, that is!! 8-)

Rick's comments on Roger Dean's stage set are priceless:

'Take a left here, Rick, climb over that giant mushroom, past the spaceship and just behind, beyond that cloud, are your keyboards.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1045969/Yes-original-Spinal-Tap-says-Rick-Wakeman-Seventies-prog-rock-supergroup.html#ixzz2815Qde3j 

That was funny and an insightful artilcle to that tour, thanks!  That must have been the tour I saw, glad I was half there...Cool

Edited by AEProgman - September 30 2012 at 23:21
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 08:14
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

"Getting over overhanging trees" (...)

Doubtlessly one of the most beautiful melodies progressive rock has ever produced.

Haha yeah, every time I hear that melody I'm completely astonished that the song could get SO much better from already being so awesome. I keep thinking that "this HAS to be the best song off the album, how can you beat this?". Then "The Remembering" kicks in, and with it the only part of the album better than above mentioned melody. This part would be the transition from the synth playing the melody of the "relayer" part directly over to the "Stand on hills of long forgotten yesterdays". There are much more parts on the album that are just mindblowing though, where I just cannot resist giving the music my complete concentration, no matter if I'm listening with one earphone plugged in at work or from the vinyl at home.
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>