Topic ClosedHow to build a primitive drum set

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to build a primitive drum set
    Posted: September 29 2012 at 14:01
Hi there,

here's a kinda whimsical question. Smile In my free time I enjoy composing a little bit, and after many years of fruitless demoing I'd like to finally get a tight multi-track recording done at home.

I've got all that I need but a drum set - this would be too huge, too expensive and too loud for the place where I live. Programming drums isn't what I wanna do, and a cajon gives it the wrong sound, in my opinion.

This is why I'd like to ask you if anyone has already built some primitive drums or percussion instruments which sound good. Are there any household objects from which I could build drum skins and a frame? Of course I could try out different cans and cartonages, but perhaps someone here has made some concrete experiences with a project like that.

Best wishes,

Einsetumadur Wink

Edited by Einsetumadur - September 29 2012 at 14:01
All in all each man in all men
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 01:48
I once built a square container with four pieces of wood left open on opposite ends. On one of the open ends I stretched a canvas with a staple gun just like one would stretch a canvas for an oil painting. Let me know if you're not sure how to do this. After it was stretched I coated both sides of the canvas with gesso. Acrylic paint might work as well, but I didn't actually try that. Then I hit on it with drumsticks. It wasn't half bad. I'm a guitar player not a drummer, though.

I've also saved poster tubes in the past. I cut them to different lengths. On one of the openings I glued a quarter inch piece of plywood already sized to fit.
I've
 Post Reply Post Reply