Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAndy Powell's Wishbone Ash To Tour The UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash To Tour The UK
    Posted: September 29 2012 at 17:59
September 29, 2012 - Danbury, CT - Classic rock legends Wishbone Ash, one of the most influential guitar bands in the history of rock, kicks off the UK leg of their tour on October 4, 2012.

The tour, which began in Europe early this year, celebrates the release of Elegant Stealth, the group’s latest studio album. 

Elegant Stealth represents a benchmark in the evolution of Wishbone Ash. Signature twin-lead melodies and a powerhouse rhythm section frame 11 new tracks that reflect a diverse realm of styles and moods.

Formed in 1969, Wishbone Ash has more than 20 original studio recordings and several live albums to their credit. On Elegant Stealth, the group coalesces around strong songwriting and serious chops. Founding member Andy Powell handles lead vocals and trades licks with Finland’s guitar wizard Muddy Manninen. Bassist Bob Skeat, a 15-year veteran of the band and in-demand studio musician, sets the pace with Joe Crabtree, one of the best of Britain’s new breed of drummers, having played with Pendragon and David Cross of King Crimson.

The band demonstrates its versatility on Elegant Stealth, from the pop/rocker “Reason to Believe” to the gentler vibe of “Give it Up” to tunes like “Warm Tears” and “Big Issues,” where the band gets to stretch out and flex its musical muscles.

Classic Rock Revisited ranked Elegant Stealth No. 8 in its Top 40 New Releases of 2011, and Classic Rock Revisited’s Jeb Wright called it “one of the best albums in Wishbone Ash’s 42 year career.”

Keith “MuzikMan” Hannaleck of MuzikReviews.com said, “This band is like a fine wine that just keeps getting better with age and this is one of their strongest studio releases in years.”

The songs are catchy, very technical, but there is a soul in what Wishbone Ash is doing!” said Mark Kadzielawa of 69 Faces of Rock.

Citing Wishbone Ash as an influence on their style, Thin LizzyIron Maiden, Southern Rock outfits like Lynyrd Skynyrd and, more recently, heavyweights like Opeth and some of the guitar-based Indie/Alternative bands, have all taken a little something from the legendary twin-guitar approach of Wishbone Ash. Truly, there is no other rock band on the planet that has done more with the twin guitar concept than the Ash.

Wishbone Ash UK Tour dates:

October 04 - The Guildhall - St Ives - St Ives, Cornwall
October 05 - Tivoli Theatre - Wimborne, Dorset
October 06 - Cheese and Grain - Frome, Somerset
October 07 - Exeter Corn Exchange - Exeter
October 08 - Swindon Art Centre - Swindon
October 09 - The Maltings - Farnham
October 11 - Huntingdon Hall - Worcester
October 12 - Pontardawe Arts Centre - Pontardawe
October 14 - Robin 2 - Wolverhampton
October 16 - The Flowerpot - Derby
October 17 - Newcastle O2 Academy - Newcastle-upon-Tyne
October 18 - The Ferry - Glasgow
October 19 - The Jam House - Edinburgh, Midlothian
October 20 - Lochgelly Centre - Lochgelly, Fife
October 21 - Lemon Tree - Aberdeen 
October 23 - Bootleggers Music Bar - Kendal, Cumbria
October 26 - Mick Jagger Centre - Dartford
October 27 - Floral Pavilion Theatre - New Brighton, Wirral
October 28 - The Lowry - Manchester
October 30 - The Stables - Milton Keynes
October 31 - King Edward VII Memorial Hall - Newmarket, Sulfolk
November 02 - Picturedrome - Holmfirth
November 03 - The Winding Wheel (AshCon!) - Chesterfield

Tour dates and more information can be found at www.wishboneash.com .

Press Inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158[email protected]

To download electronic press kit: www.wishboneash.com/epk
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 18:22
I saw this band play in the Chicago suburbs a few months ago, and I highly recommend this latest version of Wishbone Ash!  Andy Powell is in fine form & voice, and the band was very tight.  They play a very classic Ash set list, drawing heavily from "Argus."  Check 'em out!
WisdomBeginsInWonder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 03:21
i also heard that wishbone ash will play in Slovenija 
Life Can Be Hilariously Cruel.

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 04:40
Danbury CT is where Andy Powell lives. So he may have written this review! But good on him; WA have kept evolving thanks to Andy Powell's extreme hard work. I feel very disappointed that there is this conflict with Martin Turner and that he has another Wishbone Ash performing at the same time. It should not be.
I have followed WA for over 35 years and it is really Andy that has been there for the entire journey; he has never stopped performing as Wishbone Ash and so it is his legacy that I much admire. Go and see Andy and the boys.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 04:42
Not coming to Cardiff. What a shame.
tonyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2012 at 07:21
Went to the Newmarket gig. Played old stuff as well as new. Excellent gig, and well supported by Soulweaver.
grasshopperman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 17:51
My wife and myself saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash some time ago and more recently we had tickets to see the one with Andy Powell in it. My wife at the time was unaware of my bias towards Martin Turner and said during the Andy Powell gig, " I'm sorry, but I aint impressed with this, I preferred the other band, can we go now. Go on, I'll buy you a pint on the way home". Or words to that effect. I think I understand why people follow Andy Powell with enthusiasm. After all he is a good guitarist. But many people fit that description. Some of my friends do! I must say go and see Martin Turner and his band. The vocal harmonies are beautiful and of course so is the guitar playing. But most importantly: THE MIX. As with all Wishbone live performances over the years the sound is perfectly balanced and clear. There are no egos in this band unlike Powell's version. Don't take my word for it. Go and listen to both bands and see what you think.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 05:21
Originally posted by grasshopperman grasshopperman wrote:

My wife and myself saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash some time ago and more recently we had tickets to see the one with Andy Powell in it. My wife at the time was unaware of my bias towards Martin Turner and said during the Andy Powell gig, " I'm sorry, but I aint impressed with this, I preferred the other band, can we go now. Go on, I'll buy you a pint on the way home". Or words to that effect. I think I understand why people follow Andy Powell with enthusiasm. After all he is a good guitarist. But many people fit that description. Some of my friends do! I must say go and see Martin Turner and his band. The vocal harmonies are beautiful and of course so is the guitar playing. But most importantly: THE MIX. As with all Wishbone live performances over the years the sound is perfectly balanced and clear. There are no egos in this band unlike Powell's version. Don't take my word for it. Go and listen to both bands and see what you think.

Sorry, I don't buy this.

Andy Powell has never stopped touring as Wishbone Ash. Martin left Wishbone Ash in 1980 came back in 1987 and left again in the early 90s.

Andy Powell has been there throughout...never left......Wishbone Ash has released 6 studio albums since 1995...all with new material. The majority of these are above average and especially Illuminations, Bona Fide and their latest release Elegant Stealth. Just listen to them.

After over 10 years out of Wishbone Ash, Martin Turner for some reason decided he would form his own WA in 2004 and has still yet to release a studio album with any new material.

To put it bluntly, Andy Powell is the only one of the two that is going forward and not looking back.

Lord Jagged View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 05:45

I'd agree with that. The Powell version sounds more like ZZ Top than classic Wishbone Ash on the times I've seen them.
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 06:09
Originally posted by Lord Jagged Lord Jagged wrote:

I'd agree with that. The Powell version sounds more like ZZ Top than classic Wishbone Ash on the times I've seen them.

On the other hand, I don't agree with that (obviously Martin under a pseudonym) and they don't sound remotely like ZZ Top. Maybe you should actually buy some new Wishbone Ash albums and listen to them. Next move.
grasshopperman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 06:28
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Sorry, I don't buy this.Andy Powell has never stopped touring as Wishbone Ash. Martin left Wishbone Ash in 1980 came back in 1987 and left again in the early 90s. Andy Powell has been there throughout...never left......Wishbone Ash has released 6 studio albums since 1995...all with new material. The majority of these are above average and especially Illuminations, Bona Fide and their latest release Elegant Stealth. Just listen to them.After over 10 years out of Wishbone Ash, Martin Turner for some reason decided he would form his own WA in 2004 and has still yet to release a studio album with any new material. To put it bluntly, Andy Powell is the only one of the two that is going forward and not looking back.

Dear Sir
Whether you buy it or not is besides the point - I am well aware of the history of the band. I was giving a loose description of two separate live concerts I had seen. I can't help my wife's opinion! that's just how it is. And to my ear Martin Turner's band sounded the better of the two.
However, I take on board what you say about buying some of Andy Powell's new material. I will do that. And as for Martin not releasing new material - this is also true, but not what I was talking about.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 07:11

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Sorry, I don't buy this.Andy Powell has never stopped touring as Wishbone Ash. Martin left Wishbone Ash in 1980 came back in 1987 and left again in the early 90s. Andy Powell has been there throughout...never left......Wishbone Ash has released 6 studio albums since 1995...all with new material. The majority of these are above average and especially Illuminations, Bona Fide and their latest release Elegant Stealth. Just listen to them.After over 10 years out of Wishbone Ash, Martin Turner for some reason decided he would form his own WA in 2004 and has still yet to release a studio album with any new material. To put it bluntly, Andy Powell is the only one of the two that is going forward and not looking back.

Dear Sir
Whether you buy it or not is besides the point - I am well aware of the history of the band. I was giving a loose description of two separate live concerts I had seen. I can't help my wife's opinion! that's just how it is. And to my ear Martin Turner's band sounded the better of the two.
However, I take on board what you say about buying some of Andy Powell's new material. I will do that. And as for Martin not releasing new material - this is also true, but not what I was talking about.

No problems. We both obviously have a soft spot for Wishbone Ash. It is a real shame that there has to be this animosity between Andy and Martin. I hope that one day they can get together and smoke a peace pipe. But I really do like a good percentage of the new WA material that Andy is a part of. Martin was a fantastic composer in his day.......I wish he would release some new stuff and stop going over old ground.
 Post Reply Post Reply