10 [52.63%]
5 [26.32%]
4 [21.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 20:19
Been listening to them ever since my mom first drove me to the supermarket when I was 5 years old. Been with me ever since.

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I love them in the 60's, hate them from Sticky Fingers and onwords. I simply couldn't believe my ears the first time I actually heard the legendary Exile on Main Street. Bluesy country rock... same half assed and sloppy tune over and over something like 20 times. Not even punkrock is as dull as that.
Pretty much this.

To understand how great they were in the 60s, get the 3 disc "London Years" box set, compiling all of their singles, b-sides, and stray tracks from the beginning through Sticky Fingers.  It is beyond cool.  The coolest stuff came during the "pop" and "psych" years, represented by "Between the Buttons" , "Aftermath", and "Satanic Majesties".  Just real interesting stuff.

Still not as great as the Kinks or the Beatles, but hey.  Probably better than the Who, which is still saying a lot.

But when they decided to be an American roots rock band, I cry foul.  It pains me that so many people are suckered in by that "authentic" sound.  Throw a little twang in it and suddenly everyone remembers their youth back on the farm. Give me a break.  Of course, they'd assimilated American roots sounds since the early days (that's what the blues is), but it just seemed more, I dunno, "hardcore" then, for lack of a better word.  RIP Brian Jones.

^ Kind of mixed about that opinion. I'm quite fond of the band's 1968 - 1972 out, but not because of the whole roots rock thing the critics fall head over heals over. I like them because they're well written. So yeah, I never understood that mentality that American Roots Rock is more "authentic" .
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 20:22
I can't say I'm a fan, but I respect them, as I respect The Beatles and The Kinks and The Beach Boys. Although all very different, they contributed their own to a lot to what became and is rock. (I didn't mention The Doors, Who, and others, cause I'm fan of those)

Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil are killer. 

Edited by The Quiet One - October 02 2012 at 20:23
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 21:05
I respect them too and love some songs. Want it or not, they are one of the greatest rock bands ever. And back then, in the early 60s, they were revolutionary. Like someone said: "The Beatles want to hold your hand, but the Stones want to burn down your town."

By the way, Ron Wood's autobiography simply titled "Ronnie" is one of the best rock bios I've ever read - good language and great sense of humour. When I finished reading and closed the last page it was like saying goodbye to good old friend. 
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 02:54
In some cases, I find the comparison of the Beatles and the Stones to have a lot of good/classic songs, and a lot of fillers. I've always enjoyed the Beatles when I was young, but could never get into their albums. But maybe that's just me. I do like the Beatles though. 
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 03:04
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

I've never been much into the Stones - although I do like a few individual songs of theirs ("Sympathy For the Devil", "You Can't Always Get What You Want", "Paint It, Black"), I've never felt the need to own a Stones album.  You ever notice that about half their stuff sounds like they just made it up on the spot?  I'm looking at you, "Shattered".....

Pretty much sums up my opinion of them - I do own a couple of albums; Sticky Fingers is a rock classic IMHO, Exile On Mainstreet's pretty good & their (fairly) recent(ish) live one 'Stripped' is worth a listen too...

Sticky fingers, though, is worth is just for Billy Preston's Hammond solo on 'I Got The Blues'

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 03:57
hey Shattered's a great little tune, the only thing I'd really fault them for is that 1-2 beat they always end up in

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 19:10
Satanic Majesties Big smile !!!  The only one I still own. Stuffed with inventive arrangements, stacks of mellotrons and other interesting keyboards and an all 'round Psych classic - brilliant psych artwork to boot.  I've owned many albums (from High Tide, Green Grass to the 80's album with Harlem Shuffle) and found they have some decent cuts on most of them.  'Goats Head Soup' had some great things on it, 'It's Only Rock and Roll' too (Fingerprint File).  Tattoo You has a great song with 'Heaven'. The Stones can come up with some good material for sure.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 20:10
When I was in college, there was this local eccentric guy who lived in the town and came to all our school's soccer games.  He always carried this one book with him, a book he was writing, apparently.  His name was Jackie, and he would frequently chat up the students with some odd dialogue that usually went something like this (I am not making this up):

"Hey man, are you shattered?"
"Sorry?"
"Are you shattered?"
"Uh... what do you..."
"No, no, when I say 'are you shattered' you're supposed to say 'shedoobie'."
"Well,...ok"
"Are you shattered?"
"Shedoobie"
"Kayobie!"
"...yeah..."
"And then when I say kayobie, you say 'shabralski'.  Are you shattered?"
"Shedoobie"
"Kayobie"
"Shabralski"
"That's it!  It's like, I'm asking you if you're shattered, and you say "shedoobie" which means 'yes I am shattered', and then I say 'kayobie' which means I'm shattered too... and then you say 'shebralskie' which means we're both shattered, we're as one, man..."

Edited by HolyMoly - October 06 2012 at 20:12
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 20:36
^My head just exploded.
Magma America Great Make Again
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 07:08

When I was in college, there was this local eccentric guy who lived in the town and came to all our school's soccer games.  He always carried this one book with him, a book he was writing, apparently.  His name was Jackie, and he would frequently chat up the students with some odd dialogue that usually went something like this (I am not making this up):

"Sorry?"
"Are you shattered?"
"Uh... what do you..."
"Well,...ok"
"Are you shattered?"
"Shedoobie"
"Kayobie!"
"...yeah..."
"Shedoobie"
"Kayobie"
"Shabralski"
"That's it!  It's like, I'm asking you if you're shattered, and you say "shedoobie" which means 'yes I am shattered', and then I say 'kayobie' which means I'm shattered too... and then you say 'shebralskie' which means we're both shattered, we're as one, man..."

They always do the "shadoobie" thing on the Bob & Tom radio show.  Cop Shoot Cop did it in "Got No Soul" as well.

Weirdly, I always heard it as "shayloombay".  Whatever the hell that means.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 07:55
Can't believe we're even discussing the merits of the Stones....they ARE rock 'n roll.  Everything from their first album right up to Tattoo You , from the early 60s to the early 80s, is groovy....are there any other rock acts that have sustained like the Stones?  

Edited by Intruder - October 07 2012 at 07:56
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 08:21
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

"Sorry?"
"Are you shattered?"
"Uh... what do you..."
"Well,...ok"
"Are you shattered?"
"Shedoobie"
"Kayobie!"
"...yeah..."
"Shedoobie"
"Kayobie"
"Shabralski"

They always do the "shadoobie" thing on the Bob & Tom radio show.  Cop Shoot Cop did it in "Got No Soul" as well.

Weirdly, I always heard it as "shayloombay".  Whatever the hell that means.

Those spellings are my own phonetic approximations.  I'm sure they have some deep cosmic meaning that unlocks the mystery of the Stones, but if so, it eludes me.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 08:35
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Can't believe we're even discussing the merits of the Stones....they ARE rock 'n roll.  Everything from their first album right up to Tattoo You , from the early 60s to the early 80s, is groovy....are there any other rock acts that have sustained like the Stones?  

So what it they ARE rock 'n roll? That doesn't mean anything to me. Weather Report ARE fusion, but I still stay clear of all their post 1972-albums. I hate practically everything I've heard of The Stones post 60's outings because sloppy blues rock, country rock, americana, roots or whatever you like to call it either bores or annoys me so much I start to itch whenever I'm exposed to it. 
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 16:05
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I don't like them much. Only a few songs.
only a few songs for me as well. But I am far from knowing their whole discography...
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12