Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAm I reading this correctly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 01:34
Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

How one feels about ELP can really depends on whether you are a keyboardist first and prog fan second, or perhaps the other way around. I'm a keyboardist first and so I was always a KeithEmerson/ ELP fan. 

But musically, I feel ELP was at times as much a victim of Keith's playing as it was defined by it. Unfortunately, he was more of a showman than an intellectual. Sometimes, virtuosity gets in the way of how others relate to your music. You want them to connect emotionally to it, not just go "Oh wow - can he play".

Anyway, I spent weeks learning to play Tarkus on the piano when I was 18. I was totally absorbed and awestruck by Keith for years. That he flashed and burned more noticeably than others takes nothing away from the brilliance of his unique approach to playing and his harmonic language. I only wish he had shown a little more restraint and crammed a little less of his cranial matter into his fingers. Sometimes, a band needs another member who can step back and play John Lennon alongside Liberace. Showmen by themselves can't always be relied upon to make artistic decisions regarding taste, etc.  

But I never like to see people trash anyone who went his own way rather than played it safe an imitated others. Keith just did what felt right to him. Whether ELP was "pure prog" or not is not even worthy of contemplating.  And ELP's legacy as a prog band doesn't matter to me as much as Keith's legacy as a keyboardist. Non keyboardists may shrug today when they listen to ELP. But I know young keyboardists really dig him still and want to learn how to play Tarkus, etc like I did. He is and always will be a legend to us. The problem is though that the most imitated bands set the standard by which young ears judge other music today. So that if it doesn't sound like King Crimson, Genesis or Pink Floyd, it sounds "funny" to them. Truth be told though - the ELP sound is less imitated yes - in part, due to poor artistic decisions they made at times, but also - it is less imitated because its so friggin' difficult! I do hear Keith imitators playing prog that otherwise sounds very little like ELP. Thats kind of what happens now, and while it sounds tame and watered down by comparison, it also is devoid of the excess and the filler songs that ELP detractors always bring up whenever they are comparing prog bands. I dunno - but Keith should have started a school where he taught others how he does it. And then maybe they could carry on that tradition, build on it and refine it. It beats us guys still trying to pic it all out note for note from listening (yeah, I know, you can buy Tarkus/ELP song books today, but anyway)...

aldri7

I would make a couple of points regarding the paragraph I have highlighted.

Firstly if Keith Emerson had shown 'restraint' then presumably the music would have been very different? I think fans love the ELP sections where they cut loose. For instance the Bab Yaga section on the Pictures from Lyceum is just one of the most wonderous things I ever heard. ELP in full throttle mood were awe inspiring at that time. Sorry but I don't want restraint!

Also I believe Greg Lake was the rudder in the band and helped make steer the band on making artistic decisions. He put his stamp on much of ELP's music although people for some reason will believe that he was a 'bit part' player in the band. ELP made music that was heavily weighted towards symphonic classical and keyboards orientated music because that was different and unique and put then apart from others. I don't see a problem. In general I think this kind of music fairs badly on the PA charts. Where are Rick Wakeman, Par Lindh, Glass Hammer, Greenslade and Refugee in the top 100. Answer - nowhere! ELP debut is probably the only keyboard based album in the top 100 so I believe this type of music represents a niche market and that the lack of ELP albums in the top 100 is not down to Keith Emerson making poor artistic choices at all.
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 03:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Firstly if Keith Emerson had shown 'restraint' then presumably the music would have been very different?

somewhat different, maybe, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. I think ELP could have been an even better band given the talent that they had. 

But if it was me voting, the ELP album, Tarkus, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery would all be ranked in the PA top 50. Tarkus would be in my top 10. 

I can be really hard on my beloved geniuses, but I will rally around them without fail when others criticize them, so I'm really more in your camp...

aldri7

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 06:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

How one feels about ELP can really depends on whether you are a keyboardist first and prog fan second, or perhaps the other way around. I'm a keyboardist first and so I was always a KeithEmerson/ ELP fan. 

But musically, I feel ELP was at times as much a victim of Keith's playing as it was defined by it. Unfortunately, he was more of a showman than an intellectual. Sometimes, virtuosity gets in the way of how others relate to your music. You want them to connect emotionally to it, not just go "Oh wow - can he play".

Anyway, I spent weeks learning to play Tarkus on the piano when I was 18. I was totally absorbed and awestruck by Keith for years. That he flashed and burned more noticeably than others takes nothing away from the brilliance of his unique approach to playing and his harmonic language. I only wish he had shown a little more restraint and crammed a little less of his cranial matter into his fingers. Sometimes, a band needs another member who can step back and play John Lennon alongside Liberace. Showmen by themselves can't always be relied upon to make artistic decisions regarding taste, etc.  

But I never like to see people trash anyone who went his own way rather than played it safe an imitated others. Keith just did what felt right to him. Whether ELP was "pure prog" or not is not even worthy of contemplating.  And ELP's legacy as a prog band doesn't matter to me as much as Keith's legacy as a keyboardist. Non keyboardists may shrug today when they listen to ELP. But I know young keyboardists really dig him still and want to learn how to play Tarkus, etc like I did. He is and always will be a legend to us. The problem is though that the most imitated bands set the standard by which young ears judge other music today. So that if it doesn't sound like King Crimson, Genesis or Pink Floyd, it sounds "funny" to them. Truth be told though - the ELP sound is less imitated yes - in part, due to poor artistic decisions they made at times, but also - it is less imitated because its so friggin' difficult! I do hear Keith imitators playing prog that otherwise sounds very little like ELP. Thats kind of what happens now, and while it sounds tame and watered down by comparison, it also is devoid of the excess and the filler songs that ELP detractors always bring up whenever they are comparing prog bands. I dunno - but Keith should have started a school where he taught others how he does it. And then maybe they could carry on that tradition, build on it and refine it. It beats us guys still trying to pic it all out note for note from listening (yeah, I know, you can buy Tarkus/ELP song books today, but anyway)...

aldri7

I would make a couple of points regarding the paragraph I have highlighted.

Firstly if Keith Emerson had shown 'restraint' then presumably the music would have been very different? I think fans love the ELP sections where they cut loose. For instance the Bab Yaga section on the Pictures from Lyceum is just one of the most wonderous things I ever heard. ELP in full throttle mood were awe inspiring at that time. Sorry but I don't want restraint!

Also I believe Greg Lake was the rudder in the band and helped make steer the band on making artistic decisions. He put his stamp on much of ELP's music although people for some reason will believe that he was a 'bit part' player in the band. ELP made music that was heavily weighted towards symphonic classical and keyboards orientated music because that was different and unique and put then apart from others. I don't see a problem. In general I think this kind of music fairs badly on the PA charts. Where are Rick Wakeman, Par Lindh, Glass Hammer, Greenslade and Refugee in the top 100. Answer - nowhere! ELP debut is probably the only keyboard based album in the top 100 so I believe this type of music represents a niche market and that the lack of ELP albums in the top 100 is not down to Keith Emerson making poor artistic choices at all.
Nice to see somebody else recognising keyboard wizardry beyond Emerson....Greenslade IMHO - produced the finest ever doom-laden depresso-kill hammond organ solo ever in Drum Folk......Par Lindh has produced one of the finest keyboard oriented albums ever (Gothic Impressions) Glass hammer is teeming with keyboard's ...interestingly not heard any refugee.....and seeing as you must have similar tastes to me - have you heard any Nexus - coz these are my current fave.....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 01:50

^Not heard Nexus. Also not heard Flash another band recommended on a different thread. Thats two I need to check out.Smile

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 05:10
Im not a keyboard player, but i totaly love, Chopin, Bethoven, Chick Corea, Éric Satie, Yes
Nothing against a good keyboard player, but in my ears, ELP is just  boring music.  
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 06:39
In defence of ELP, they produced true moments of sublime symphonic prog - everybody who likes Yes/Genesis/Floyd/Camel must surely appreciate some of Tarkus, KE9 - PAAE. Incidentally - I would also recommend  Jordan Rudess' rendition of Tarkus -absolutely fantastic.......
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 02:43
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

In defence of ELP, they produced true moments of sublime symphonic prog - everybody who likes Yes/Genesis/Floyd/Camel must surely appreciate some of Tarkus, KE9 - PAAE. Incidentally - I would also recommend  Jordan Rudess' rendition of Tarkus -absolutely fantastic.......
Ars Nova have done my favourite tribute version of Tarkus adding a nice Japanese flavour to it (can be found on The Keyboards Triangle tribute to ELP, Trace, Rick Wakeman, PFM and Banco)
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 06:14
^ I agree with the positive comments on ELP, although  . . .

Par Lindh's work is interesting, but the vocals sound awful to me (unless I've heard the wrong tracks);

Ars Nova are a Japanese all-female rock band that sound like ELP, but I don't think they have vocals - or do they?

Edited by Big Ears - January 26 2013 at 06:16
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:21
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

Par Lindh's work is interesting, but the vocals sound awful to me (unless I've heard the wrong tracks);

Ars Nova are a Japanese all-female rock band that sound like ELP, but I don't think they have vocals - or do they?
Ars Nova is also a RPI band with vocals. Both are on PA
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:27
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I assumed the Keyboards Triangle was the Japanese Ars Nova.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 09:58

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I assumed the Keyboards Triangle was the Japanese Ars Nova.
It is. There are vocals are sort but not words. Its very cleverly done imo

Par Lindh Porject - Gothic Impressions was mostly sang by Par Lindh himself going for a singing Monk sort of approach. The next two studio albums had the wonderfull Magda Hagberg singing (now sadly passed on) and those are the best PLP albums imo. The recent album Time Mirror is a completely different line up and pulls more inspiration from ELP although is not as symphonic in approach. That may sound like a contradiction but you would need to hear it to understand what I meanSmile
Daggor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 17:54
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

Wait and Viljans Oga will drop. It's the massive high votes of the fanboys that get it there. It normally drops after a while. Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning peaked at 12, Anathema's Weather Systems got at least in the top 30, so it's a regular pattern.

Grace for Drowning only dropped because people went crazy with 1/5 scores on it.
How weather systems dropped off the top 100 baffles me as well. 
I also have no idea why my posts result in a flood of code. Mods? 
< ="text/"> #inlineTextHighlight{background:none repeat scroll 0 50% transparent;text-decoration:underline;display:inline;visibility:none;color:blue !important;font-family:Arial;cursor:pointer;line-height:1.5em} #slider_header{height:26px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_header.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-top:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;display:block} #slider_body{height:90px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_body.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-top:1px #438ECE;border-bottom:1px #438ECE;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;display:block;cursor:pointer} #slider_footer{height:30px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_footer.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;border-bottom:1px #1A5189;display:block;cursor:auto} #bt_learn{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/btn_learn.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;height:90px;margin-right:5px;width:112px;margin-top:60px;left:auto;right:0;top:0;position:absolute;} #icon_alert{height:16px;width:16px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_alert.png);padding:5px} #icon_close{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_close.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;display:block;float:left;height:16px;width:16px;} #favicon{background-position:center top;background-repeat:no-repeat;height:90px;margin-left:5px;margin-top:5px;width:16px;float:left;position:relative;} #ad_title{font-family:Helvetica;font-size:13pt;font-weight:700;color:#000;text-decoration:underline;margin-right:122px;text-align:left} #ad_body{font-family:Helvetica;font-size:11pt;color:#333;padding-top:5px;margin-right:125px;text-align:left;} #ad_url{color:#FFF;float:left;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:10pt;margin-right:10px;margin-left:10px;padding-top:6px;cursor:auto} #snd_logo{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/logo.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;height:17px;width:65px;cursor:auto;float:left;margin-right:10px;margin-top:1px;} #notification_message{color:#FFF;float:left;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:8pt;font-weight:700;padding-left:0;margin-top:5px;text-decoration:none;} #notification_alert{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_alert.png);background-position:center center;background-repeat:no-repeat;float:left;height:16px;padding-left:10px;padding-top:5px;width:16px} #slider_container{width:510px;height:146px;display:none;position:fixed;left:50%;bottom:0;margin-left:-255px;z-index:9999999999;border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-webkit-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-moz-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-moz-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151} #Nx_slider_container{width:510px;height:26px;display:none;position:fixed;left:50%;bottom:0;margin-left:-255px;border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-webkit-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-moz-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;z-index:9999999999;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-top:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-moz-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151}

Edited by Daggor - February 05 2013 at 17:57
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 18:25
^^^ That is odd! Those HTML codes are showing up usually when one tries to post a picture or youtube clip. It means that the post is not compatible with the message codes and is trying to make sense of it by posting HTML codes in place of the picture. Do you have any pictures in a sig that do not have a compatibility with the forum? If so delete it. Also you can delete codes after the message is sent if that helps

This may not help so:

Message the admins here to find out more
http://www.progarchives.com/all_collaborators.asp

Report bugs here
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=5 

Be interesting to find out what the problem is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819