Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSupper's Ready Ultimate Poll!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: What's your relationship to this Epic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [68.42%]
17 [17.89%]
5 [5.26%]
2 [2.11%]
6 [6.32%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 00:34
I'd say it's somewhere between "quite decent" and "I like it", but since there are quite a few weak spots on it, I'll go with the former. It's not "like nothing I've heard before". I've heard a lot of songs in my life, but I've never heard songs that were so awkwardly put together. Any person can stick bits and pieces together. And the music itself is not powerful enough to drown out the weakness of the lyrics.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 15 2012 at 00:35
deckard33 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 16:19
Supper !!
The best rambling patchwork of all times !
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 02:51
The first "SIDE-LONG" suite I ever encountered was Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" suite (around 1987).  Then it was 'Supper's Ready', followed by 'Close To The Edge'.  They were all KNOCK-OUT !!!  More than 20 years later, they are still amazing works,and there's still so much more quality Prog conceived and yet to discover....
SUPPER'S READY, to me, signifies all things Prog.  Whatever I've listened to and discovered since, is measured alongside this incredible composition.  I often think of the commercial successes of GENESIS during 1986, with most of their 'Invisible Touch' album dominating the charts.  This is a valuable experience, as it opened me up to the priceless GENESIS back-catalogue, and led me on to YES, CRIMSON, ELP, and close associates (Nice, Atomic Rooster, Ant Phillips etc.).  SUPPER'S READY is THE BLUEPRINT of future prog comps.  I also love Yes' 'Topographic Oceans' extravaganza....................as unreal as Anglagard, Transatlantic, IQ, Phideaux or Gosta Berling's Saga have been since......
I was just listening to IQ's 'Subterranea' and it often reminded me of Genesis' 'Lamb' creation, and how important our beloved Genesis are for all and sundry.  Even PhilCo's solo career steered Genesis into those commercial realms, but at least there was an amount of musical integrity involved.......Most folks I speak with think Peter Gabriel was stoned out of his mind.......  I'm sure most of us prog-lovers have taken more dodgey substances than Pete........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234