Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSwans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Eh? José Cid only has one album listed here because no one has bothered to add the others - if you feel like adding more José Cid  albums then please, be my guest.

Even the poppiest, cheesiest ones? Tongue

"Those who are not shocked when they first come across Prog theory cannot possibly have understood it." - Niels Bohr

"If you think you understand Prog, you don't understand Prog." - Richard Feynman
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:54
Originally posted by ArturdeLara ArturdeLara wrote:

Eh? José Cid only has one album listed here because no one has bothered to add the others - if you feel like adding more José Cid  albums then please, be my guest.

Even the poppiest, cheesiest ones? Tongue

The rule is "the whole discography", so yes, even the poppiest cheesiest ones.
What?
ArturdeLara View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 13:02
Alright then!!! 
I'll start adding more albums right now Wink

Headbanger
"Those who are not shocked when they first come across Prog theory cannot possibly have understood it." - Niels Bohr

"If you think you understand Prog, you don't understand Prog." - Richard Feynman
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 15:22
Let's do it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 15:25
Hold on a minute. First you bring me flowers and then we'll go from there
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 15:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

LOL

Congratulations, you just made my day.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 15:54
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Let's do it.

1 - Go to José Cid's PA page
2 - Move the mouse cursor to "Discography"
3 - Close your eyes
4 - Press the left mouse button
5 - Prepare for a bittersweet surprise
6 - Open your eyes

Oh btw,   Back to topic

Edited by ArturdeLara - February 27 2013 at 15:55

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 16:01

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">LOL</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>

Glad to be of service.

BTW do you know of Quarteto 1111 - Jose Cid's prog band? Their second album is a real beauty
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 16:11

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">LOL</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>

Glad to be of service.

BTW do you know of Quarteto 1111 - Jose Cid's prog band? Their second album is a real beauty

Yes, I haven't listened to their other albums yet, but i love that one. Actually, I bought it on CD about three weeks ago, so I had the chance to hear it properly, and it's f***ing gorgeous. With some beautiful lyrics as well (luckily enough i'm portuguese, so I can understand them LOL).

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 16:17
Well I'm not, but I still think Portuguese along with Italian are some of the most beautiful languages in the world. I especially adore the Brazilian version of Portuguese.

BTW we better wrap this up now, since this is a thread concerning Swans

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 27 2013 at 16:18

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 17:13

Let's do it.

3 - Close your eyes
6 - Open your eyes

Oh btw,   Back to topic

Clap Nice work. Thank you. Approve
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 21:41

We've had this discussion a couple of times before, but what perhaps is one of the key reasons(and probably also one of the hardest to grasp really) for not including an act like Swans, is not that they aren't progressive, because they are, but because they aren't prog. There is a difference.
I don't know what to stamp The Seer with, other than it was my pick of the year for 2012, but in regards to PA - I haven't got a clue.

Sometimes bands can be extremely progressive and foreseeing, yet still they don't seem to fit in at PA. That's the truth, and also the reason why some folks get their panties in a twist, because the likes of Boris, Future Sound of London, Pharoah Sanders and fellow minded pioneers aren't included.

Great point man. I mean, I don't want to get too fancy over this whole situation, in the end it's all good music of course. But take a band like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Boredoms. These bands, much like Swans, are contemporary "progressive", experimental, innovative acts, but are not typically considered "Prog", but they happen to be on PA. Godspeed being very much similar to Swans, in my opinion. So if these bands are on here, why can't Swans?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 21:42

Let's do it.

3 - Close your eyes
6 - Open your eyes

Oh btw,   Back to topic

LOL That's fantastic.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 15:28

Let's do it.

3 - Close your eyes
6 - Open your eyes

Oh btw,   Back to topic

LOL That's fantastic.

Thanks Embarrassed   I finished it today, it's practically complete now.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 16:10

We've had this discussion a couple of times before, but what perhaps is one of the key reasons(and probably also one of the hardest to grasp really) for not including an act like Swans, is not that they aren't progressive, because they are, but because they aren't prog. There is a difference.
I don't know what to stamp The Seer with, other than it was my pick of the year for 2012, but in regards to PA - I haven't got a clue.
Sometimes bands can be extremely progressive and foreseeing, yet still they don't seem to fit in at PA. That's the truth, and also the reason why some folks get their panties in a twist, because the likes of Boris, Future Sound of London, Pharoah Sanders and fellow minded pioneers aren't included.
Great point man. I mean, I don't want to get too fancy over this whole situation, in the end it's all good music of course. But take a band like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Boredoms. These bands, much like Swans, are contemporary "progressive", experimental, innovative acts, but are not typically considered "Prog", but they happen to be on PA. Godspeed being very much similar to Swans, in my opinion. So if these bands are on here, why can't Swans?

Thanks man!

First of all, I am no expert on this, I don't believe anyone can be, this is all made up things we say about music in order to get at least some bearing on what we hear, so we can better navigate and locate.
Personally, even if I seem like I speak against it in a lot of these threads, I am in favour of being inclusive, though not in the way of opening the door to Dire Straits and U2... I do however believe Future Sound of London should be here in prog electronic, and I think Swans should as well. Where? Prog related seems like a real opportunity, I mean these guys have been hugely inspirational all through the 80s and up to now, add to that flick flacking round in different genres - continuing to evolve and experiment. They certainly left a trail behind them, and I hear a lot of the avant bands that sound strangely influenced by them.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 05:31

Thanks man!

First of all, I am no expert on this, I don't believe anyone can be, this is all made up things we say about music in order to get at least some bearing on what we hear, so we can better navigate and locate.
Personally, even if I seem like I speak against it in a lot of these threads, I am in favour of being inclusive, though not in the way of opening the door to Dire Straits and U2... I do however believe Future Sound of London should be here in prog electronic, and I think Swans should as well. Where? Prog related seems like a real opportunity, I mean these guys have been hugely inspirational all through the 80s and up to now, add to that flick flacking round in different genres - continuing to evolve and experiment. They certainly left a trail behind them, and I hear a lot of the avant bands that sound strangely influenced by them.

Some people don't undestand that "experimental" or "avant-garde" does not necessarily mean "prog". Take Industrial, Noise, Free Jazz or even Post-Punk for example. U2, for instance, are an experimental rock band, but by no means Prog (Although Dire Straits would fit just fine in prog related IMO). However it is my understanding that Swans do incorporate prog traits in their sound.  

Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 20:00
^They absolutely do, just like most of the Post Rock bands listed on PA. All I think is that if bands like Godspeed (like Max mentioned), or Sigur Ros are here, then why shouldn't Swans be here? I'd say Prog-Related without a doubt. 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 20:28
Per your signature, what are you willing to pay?
LOL
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 20:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Per your signature, what are you willing to pay?
LOL

let's just say, Holy Money
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 01:55
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

^They absolutely do, just like most of the Post Rock bands listed on PA. All I think is that if bands like Godspeed (like Max mentioned), or Sigur Ros are here, then why shouldn't Swans be here? I'd say Prog-Related without a doubt. 
Because we absolutely do not play "If Band X are here then Band Y should be here" games.

That argument has never worked and it will never work.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>