FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhite Stone-Psych' rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Stone-Psych' rock
    Posted: October 24 2012 at 16:08
We recently listed White Stone as a new and unsigned band.Their music is for the most part instrumental with prog' influences/overtones.Their best seller to date is JOURNEY INTO TIME which can best described as neo-psychedelic rock.For fans of  old-school prog' and bands such as:Amon Duul 2,Robin Trower,Steve Hillage and early Pink Floyd.

Here are a couple of reviews:

TONE CLUSTERS MAGAZINE
"Interesting turn for this artist from his 2001 debut CD'S John Mellencamp-like tales of the regular guy's up's and down's to this, a series of nice moody instrumentals built on ANIMALS-era Pink Floyd chord changes and featuring some slow-burn droning and a bit of guitar flash recalling Dave Gilmour or The Church's Peter Koppes.The tempos are all medium to thereabouts,and I like the Robin Trower twist to 'Tomorrow's Song' and the atmospheric 'Space Station Blues.'I think a few more days on the work bench for the next set of tunes will make the follow-up music to fill the mind as much as this does the room.A good start." -K.E./2003

INDIE MUSIC STOP
"Ambient music is traditionally defined as a style of music that can envelop the listener without drawing attention to itself. As Brian Eno noted in his discussion of this particular style, ambient music can be "actively listened to with attention or as easily ignored, depending on the choice of listener." And while ambient music, as we have come to know it, is often highlighted by a minimal electronic sound, White Stone's instrumental psychedelic outing Journey Into Time very much captures the passive ambient spirit.

Indeed, I would argue that Journey into Time is much better suited for the passive listening experience, to be set as background music while engaging in other tasks such as reading, studying, cooking, or cleaning. In this context, all of the songs flow well into one another, creating a unified and coherent barrage of relaxed reverberated guitars that are peppered with occasional random sounds and effects, a sound that leans in the direction of Krautrock bands like Guru Guru and Amon Düül II.

Conversely, the album is not as well-suited for active listening. That is, it is not really album to jam out to, as all of the songs maintain the same relaxed tempo and have similar guitar sounds and progressions. In this respect, the album is rather monotone and does not have enough variation from one song to the next to keep things exciting and maintain the listener's attention. For example, while "Space Station Blues" begins with a very interesting experimental guitar part that had me ready for a Fred Frith like freak-out jam, it quickly descended into a very formulaic blues jam that has been done already on 800 other albums since 1945. On the other hand, "Future Tale," the lead-off track, is probably the best song on the album with some very good guitar work that says, "I really know how to play, but I don't need to show off." Ultimately, the concept of 8-minute-plus psychedelic instrumentals works well for a few songs here and there, but not so much for an entire album." -Michael Grillo/April 2007

Available for purchase at:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/journey-into-time/id64770214

Artist page:
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/WhiteStone1

Thank you for supporting indie music,all feedback is appreciated  :  )

Edited by Lifeofprog - December 26 2012 at 11:30
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 18:37
Thanks for your recommendation.

Anyway, they've not been added in Progarchives Library yet, so this thread has been moved into "Get The Word Out" section.

Good luck. Thumbs Up
Lifeofprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 19:40
That's sounds good to me,much thanks~
 Post Reply Post Reply