Topic ClosedComplexity and enjoyment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 09:17
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

and your assumption is that everyone is blind to the psychic world out there ... and its colors and vibrations that emanate.

I haven't even talked about that.

I thought you did.

This is an area that I am specially attuned to, and while I do not think that I know it, and others don't, I do not ... ever ... doubt what I "see", in front of my eyes or vision ... which is two different things.

I'm a writer, and I come off all those visuals, a lot more than I do what my mind thinks or sees, and this is the case with more than half of the artists that we discuss ... but often do not like to talk about, because we can not figure out "where it came from" ... or ... "what it meant".

I have an example.

We had an exercise in the screenplay class ... and I had nothing. On the night before I went to sleep early and boom ... as I was falling asleep, I dreamt something ... and it woke me up ... I got up and wrote it down ... about 26 pages worth of a screenplay and took it to class in the morning! It ended with a scene of a woman entering a Docvtor's office, and on my notes describing the scene ... it said ... that on his desk there was a flower on a glass and it was in need of some water ... well ... the class spent an hour discussing the "symbol of death" ... and the screenplay did not exist yet! ... but what they did was put something in my mind ... that ended up being there, and I can not tell you if I wanted it or not, but the "dream/vision" was able to suit it. No to mention that the event also taught me another bit about dreams ... that is hard to understand ... I was able to "reset" the dream, in going back to sleep later, and this time I did not wake up when the character "had the accident" in the dream, and I went through all the tunnels and all that fun stuff and had a magnificent night of sleep and rest ... but the main part of the "screenplay" was now written.  It is somewhat similar to "Bad Timing a Sensual Obsession", the Nicolas Roeg film with Theresa Russell, Art Garfunkel and Harvey Keitel.

My thoughts are that you are confusing popular music ... with anything else ... and as such you are not giving the credit or the right for anything else to be done ... that you can not comprehend.

Where are you getting that from? I said exactly the opposite: Everybody has a right to make any music he wants to. Whereas you said people who you perceive as commercial and insincere don't have a right to make music.

If there is one thing that irks me, and I might have misinterpreted your comments, is that there are a lot of posters here that lovel "telling" an artist, what progressive is, and what prog is, or is not, when you and I would have a hard time finding anyone that is composing something ... "progressive" ... when most music is put together off one's feelings and a riff or something that one came up with.

But, then, of course, it begs the question ... how did Jon, and Rick and Steve, and Chris and Allan create TFTO? ... ohh use a little synthesizer in this passage under my voice, and then when I accentuate the word love, Steve has worked up to it ... etc? etc? ... and now the whole thing gets really fuzzy!

But, unlike many here, I am a mystic of sorts

That much I understood Confused
[/QUOTE]

See? ... the reaction alone, is sad. Because there is a side/sight, I have, that you do not approve, or think it has value ... and of course, you are going to state that I did not interpret that correctly, to defend yourself!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 14:43
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

So if 80s hadn't brought any of that, prog would survive for another decade? I don't think so.. You can't just imagine people could listen to the same genre for so many years. If you are a fan you can listen to it for your entire life, as we do, but other people will get tired. context changes, and so does the music, and this happened with metal, punk, grunge, gangsta rap or whatever you want..

I think it would have.. because the Prog artists would have still had the upper hand sonically with top shelf playing and great drumming that would have left other bands in the dust.
You have to consider that if people gets tired of a type of music, labels won't be interested in supporting those bands anymore. No labels money = no records. In fact, the prog bands who wanted to survive the 80s had to change their sound (take Rush, Genesis or Yes). I think that time just changes, nothing can last forever and all we can do is to continue supporting our music underground, like has been done with metal since 90s. I agree that digital surrogates are not comparable with acoustic istruments and the hardly trained musicians of the 70s, but not all modern music is bad, and is full of great musicians out there. 
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 15:33
It's a simple. If you don't adapt, you won't survive. The 1980's was the age of electric, the 1990's was grudge/guitar distortion. I think RUSH and GENESIS were the best prog bands to adapting a new sound from being in the 1970's originally. Amazing really.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 15:42
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

IThe 1980's was the age of electric, the 1990's was grudge/guitar distortion.

These are very very broad generalizations. Both metal and hip-hop had many classic eras through the 80's and 90's and a lot of important development happened then. You can't really make it that black and white.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 16:07
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

IThe 1980's was the age of electric, the 1990's was grudge/guitar distortion.
These are very very broad generalizations. Both metal and hip-hop had many classic eras through the 80's and 90's and a lot of important development happened then. You can't really make it that black and white.

Yup. Right you are. I was thinking on a more prog/rock level than anything else. Not other genres specifically.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 16:59

the 1990's was grudge/guitar distortion.

Really? Whom did they hold a grudge against? Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789