Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Hackett - Genesis Revisited II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 10:22
I'm a Hackett fan but I'm not excited by this idea (nor the first "revisited" album). It sounds like a tribute band aiming to be as close to the original as possible . The singing is too anonymously representative and safely "tribute" oriented, and I don't like what I believe is the frequent use of auto-tune, because many vocal notes are perfectly straight in a way that doesn't sound natural.

I guess Please Don't Touch is my favourite.

Nice guitar solo on the Lamia. He "duels" with himself though.
the only sane man View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 13:16
I love it - can't stop playing it! :)

Musically I can't fault it, and it's a good mix of tracks too. I agree that it takes a bit of getting used to, vocal wise, but certainly in my case it's just because I know the originals so well and therefore to deviate in any way tends to throws you off balance somewhat. I'm not too keen on the female vocals on 'Ripples' - that's the only one where I think it's one step too far - but elsewhere I think there are some great vocal performances, with Francis Dunnery and Nik Kershaw doing the best jobs in my opinion.

And it's great to see him back in the charts again! :)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 13:54
I like it a lot, but don't love it - I prefer Watcher Of The Skies: Genesis Revisited. The problem with doing covers rather than versions or re-interpretations is everything now hangs on the vocalist especially when the music is a re-recording of the original arrangments. That means the main thing you have to compare is the original and new vocalists, and that's comparing people (however good they are) to Gabriel and Collins which is a always going to be a toughie. Revisisted I worked because everything was re-done so the new arrangement of the music now fitted the new singers, the need to compare say Colin Blunstone with Phil Collins never arose (for me anyway).
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 13:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I like it a lot, but don't love it - I prefer Watcher Of The Skies: Genesis Revisited. The problem with doing covers rather than versions or re-interpretations is everything now hangs on the vocalist especially when the music is a re-recording of the original arrangments. That means the main thing you have to compare is the original and new vocalists, and that's comparing people (however good they are) to Gabriel and Collins which is a always going to be a toughie. Revisisted I worked because everything was re-done so the new arrangement of the music now fitted the new singers, the need to compare say Colin Blunstone with Phil Collins never arose (for me anyway).

I think this is a very reasonable point. The new album is far more of a cover than re-interpretations. Basically, he has tried to record this as if Genesis were recording them now with modern technology.

I find the vocal interpretations to be very much similar to Collins in Seconds Out (not necessarily a bad thing, as I love that album), but, to be honest, the source material is so good, and the musicianship so exceptional that I, for one, can easily forgive the fact that Gabriel or Collins are not singing.

All in all, I find this album hugely enjoyable.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 09:40

A link to a podcast interview.

Help me I'm falling!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 10:13
And a YouTube recording of Steve, his brother John, and keyboardist Roger King playing a short acoustic set at the album launch event which was held last month:

Smile

Edited by yam yam - November 14 2012 at 10:14
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 23:20
Thanks for both of these. Precious.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 06:07
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Agree, though there are a few subtle changes here and there to the music, these are fairly faithful renditions of the original material. Overall, I do enjoy the project as it is nice to hear these songs done with modern recording quality and this is a fine selection of great Genesis material. The vocals are definitely the thing that takes getting used to, and for me, in some cases I may never get used to them. While I liked Neal Morse in Spock's Beard, his Giant Hogweed is lacking.  I am not a fan of Nad Sylvan at all and have a hard time with any of his vocals  on this. I think it would have been nice to hear Steven Wilson on more tracks-he does an excellent job on Can-Utility and the Coastliners, the same can be said for John Wetton. He was on the first Genesis Revisted and has toured with Hackett. He does a good job with the Genesis material he has done and he should have sung more than just Afterglow. 

All that said, I still find this an enjoyable project overall and will listen more.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 18:36
I got this album over a month ago, and I actually enjoyed it very much. I must say that I was never much of a fan of Gabriel's singing, so the change of vocalist didn't bother me. As a matter of fact, I was looking forward to it. And I must say in many cases I did find it an upgrade from the originals. Perhaps the most notable case for me was Can-Utility, in which I found the original vocals rather painful, and now it sounds delightful, and in general the song flows much nicer... I was surprised to find that it was Steven Wilson singing there, it would seem he is able to do much more than he has showed us with Porcupine Tree and his solo albums, I think he should make better use of his voice in his own projects. I also liked The Lamia very much, and that bit of extended guitar solo at the end seems to be just what the song lacked for my apreciating it better (plus getting some not so rough new singing). Another song I actually enjoyed with it's new singer was "Musical Box", but I guess now I'm bordering on heresy here    Now, the song I was a bit disapointed about was Supper's Ready. Of course, the playing is flawless, but I don't think getting so many singers was the best idea, and I found that many times they got a stronger singer (Akerfeldt, I think) singing the softer parts, and the stronger parts were sung more softly than it would have benefited them; I would have liked this one sung by Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson mainly, Wilson singing the softer parts and Akerfeldt the stronger more emotional ones, I think that would have worked wonderfully, and the middle "funny" section left just as it was (I think here it was sung by Hackett himself, and I think he just nailed it, unlike other live versions I've heard played by Genesis themselves, where they just destroyed that part).

Some other songs I might like to discuss, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight I did find a bit lacking, specially comparing it with the live version from Live at the rainbow, where the band was really on fire, specially Collins drumming, and I actually rather liked Gabriel's Sheepy singing. And Shadow of the Hierophant also kind of lacks something, which I can't quiet describe; the performance is great, perhaps I should say better than the original, and the guitar is much clearer, but something of the mood was lost, something eery. The singing on the new one was nice too, but once again, there was kind of somethin speciall about the frail voice of Sally Oldfield. Now, I hope a good new live album or DVD may come out for our delight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12