Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lizard
    Posted: November 03 2012 at 19:28
King Crimson's Lizard is one of the few supposed 'classic' prog albums that have never appealed to me. I'm curious as to what it is that makes people like it (and which I might be missing). So why do you like Lizard - or if you don't, why not? And please, if you can, avoid generalizations like "the compositions are great", "the musicianship is stellar" etc. All that may be true, but it tells us little about the specific qualities of the album.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 19:39
I think the arrangements give it a unique character, making is sound "weird", which I like.  Keith Tippett's piano, Marc Charig's cornet, the Mellotron, the... who's the drummer on that one?  Whoever. Jazzy drumming. Just a strange mix of sounds.   I think "Cirkus" is the standout track, and the one which encapsulates best why I like it.  Not my favorite Crimson, but easily in my top 5.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 20:10
Probably my second or third fav Crimson album (after the debut and tied with Islands.) As HolyMoly points out, Cirkus is the standout. I love the weird, creepy darkness that pervades the whole record. The textures are unusual and a little unsettling, and the use of jazz like motifs is very appealing to me. I find the album as a whole has a distant, dreamlike quality. It feels simultaneously Medieval and modern, and there is an indistinct haze around the songs that evokes the atmosphere of an old-fashioned night club very late when it's almost empty and the band is winding down. (I'm thinking of the trumpet entrance in Lady of the Dancing Water here.)

I don't know, it's just great.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 23:43
STAKE A LIZARD BY THE THROAT

also what Llama said

Edited by Triceratopsoil - November 03 2012 at 23:44
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 01:03
I always thought that the LP cover perfectly complimented the music!  Also, Jon Anderson's vocals on "Prince Rupert Awakes" indicate what might have been if Fripp had accepted Yes' offer to replace Peter Banks when it was first made! 

Not my favorite KC album, but a very good and strange creative effort. 

Edited by cstack3 - November 06 2012 at 00:05
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 03:57

Side A, my God its great, but its impossible to explain in words. Just one of the most wonderfull avantgarde album sides ever made.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 00:45
For me it's OK. Cirkus is nice, but it just sounds like it tries to be the new 21st Century Schizoid Man (just as Pictures of a City did on Poseidon) and just doesn't stand up to it. Lady of the Dancing Water is also nice, but it won't make the album. The rest of side A, I just don't really care about it. As for the title track, I liked the first two parts very much indeed, but I feel it doesn't really work as an epic because it really feels like 4 separate tracks, and parts 3 and 4 don't sound quiet so nice to me.
Aquiring the Taste View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 02:35
Lizard contains some true genius, but  I have found it to be a strangely inconsistant album, coming  as it did, on the heels of ITCOTCK.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 03:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For me it's OK. Cirkus is nice, but it just sounds like it tries to be the new 21st Century Schizoid Man
Thats funny how things can effect us diffrently, to me the only thing on Lizard that remotely sounds like anything they did before is "Lady of the ....", where the mood follows the trend from "Cadence and Cascade" and "I talk to the wind".
The one thing i would never accuse Lizard off, is to be too little development.
To me this is where fripp desides, not to continue the "symphonic" line, and go a lot more Jazz/Avantgarde.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 03:27
Lizard holds many traits of its own that never have been repeated elsewhere.  The elements with this album that I find fascinating are things like the woodwinds and brass (Miller/Charig/Evans/Collins), Andy McCulloch's style of drumming, Keith Tippett's tinkly piano stylings, Jon Anderson on vocals here is a treat, and the Mellotron sounds MASSIVE !!!  Gordon Haskell has a charming voice and a real crunching bass sound.  There's also humourous lyrics from Sinfield.  Beautiful cover art etc.  It didn't take me too long to 'nail' this album.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 08:40
For years I considered it a poor album, but after a friend raved about it and suggested I needed to give it another chance, I picked up the remaster (whichever one it was at that time, about 2003 or 2004).  Well, I was quite surprised at how good it is.  The extensive use of acoustic guitar was something that you just don't hear from Fripp, before or since.  The odd arrangements and creepy atmosphere of the whole thing.  Frankly, I think it's one of their finest albums, and totally unique in their discography.  Find me another prog album that is even remotely similar........there just isn't one.  It's thanks to the influence of that album on Steve Wilson that spawned Grace For Drowning, so for that alone I think it's a very valuable album.  One of Fripp's most interesting works, IMO.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 08:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Lizard holds many traits of its own that never have been repeated elsewhere.  The elements with this album that I find fascinating are things like the woodwinds and brass (Miller/Charig/Evans/Collins), Andy McCulloch's style of drumming, Keith Tippett's tinkly piano stylings, Jon Anderson on vocals here is a treat, and the Mellotron sounds MASSIVE !!!  Gordon Haskell has a charming voice and a real crunching bass sound.  There's also humourous lyrics from Sinfield.  Beautiful cover art etc.  It didn't take me too long to 'nail' this album.

The drumming is indeed really great, and I was surprised to find out that Andy McCulloch was uncomfortable with the style of music, as he sounds totally at home here.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 18:34
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

For years I considered it a poor album, but after a friend raved about it and suggested I needed to give it another chance, I picked up the remaster (whichever one it was at that time, about 2003 or 2004).  Well, I was quite surprised at how good it is.  The extensive use of acoustic guitar was something that you just don't hear from Fripp, before or since.  The odd arrangements and creepy atmosphere of the whole thing.  Frankly, I think it's one of their finest albums, and totally unique in their discography.  Find me another prog album that is even remotely similar........there just isn't one.  It's thanks to the influence of that album on Steve Wilson that spawned Grace For Drowning, so for that alone I think it's a very valuable album.  One of Fripp's most interesting works, IMO.

Indeed what I thought of Grace for Drowning was that at last someone picked up what Fripp began with Lizard. I must say I like Grace for Drowing better than Lizard, however, I like "Prince Ruppert Awakes" and "Bolero" better than anything on Grace for Drowining.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 18:37
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For me it's OK. Cirkus is nice, but it just sounds like it tries to be the new 21st Century Schizoid Man

Thats funny how things can effect us diffrently, to me the only thing on Lizard that remotely sounds like anything they did before is "Lady of the ....", where the mood follows the trend from "Cadence and Cascade" and "I talk to the wind".
The one thing i would never accuse Lizard off, is to be too little development.

To me this is where fripp desides, not to continue the "symphonic" line, and go a lot more Jazz/Avantgarde.

Yes, of course I also find "Lady of..." very similar to those 2 songs from the previous albums, but somehow it doesn't disapoint me as much as Cirkus. And indeed, Lady and Cirkus are the only 2 songs I would say have anything to do with previous albums, the rest of Lizard goes in a totally different direction than Crimson had done before (for good and for bad).
 Post Reply Post Reply