Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy classic prog faded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 26>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 17:43
^ To be honest Dean, I'm really not the 'Star Struck' kind of guy. If I met any of the greats I'd shake their hand and say how appreciative I am of their music, have a nice day. That sort of thing. I'd keep it real simple, so I wouldn't be disappointed with any attitude given. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 17:51

^ Until you do meet your heroes you can't really predict how you'll react.

What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 19:44
Tetchy's one thing, utter contempt is another.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 19:46
I once met Carl Palmer in an hotel at breakfast, went to tell him I was a big fan of him and he was rather cold and impolite, nearly rude. Maybe he had not have a good sleep but I was disappointed.
Aquiring the Taste View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 21:05
Some CD releases have a bonus track, The Power And The Glory. Ray Shulman, in Trans-Oceanic Trouser Press (April/May 1976), tells the story:

"WWA said, 'Now boys, you've got to be commercial, you've gotta make singles. Now you run away and write us a single.' So we did three atrocious numbers. This song's the worst--'You've got it lads!'--and we went into the studio and handed over the tapes when we came out. They put it out, we yelled at them, and they gave it back--took it off the market."

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
    Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, 1905
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 23:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Nah, take it from me, when you meet 'em, you find your inner prog awareness!  Look at the smile on my face!   I have no doubt that everyone posting here would be appropriate & share meaningful moments with your own heroes!  

Follow your dreams and enjoy! 

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 00:04
Ehn, I have no desire to meet my musical heroes, let alone deliberately place myself within a 100 mile radius of them. Along with the aforementioned snobbery, they'd probably bore me.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 00:08
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Ehn, I have no desire to meet my musical heroes, let alone deliberately place myself within a 100 mile radius of them. Along with the aforementioned snobbery, they'd probably bore me.

Don't go to many concerts, then?
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 00:13
I wouldn't mind seeing them perform. I just don't want to go up and talk to them.

And I just contradicted the 100 mile radius part of my statement.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 09:11
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I once met Carl Palmer in an hotel at breakfast, went to tell him I was a big fan of him and he was rather cold and impolite, nearly rude. Maybe he had not have a good sleep but I was disappointed.

did it effect your love for their music? For example, when you put on an ELP record do you think about that moment or are you just locked into the music and forget it all together? Just curious.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 10:40

I haven't met a prog artist up close but I met the jazz guitarist Russell Malone after he had finished his set and took a front seat for Igor Butman's set in the second half.  I said it was a great show and he kind of repeated it perfunctorily, as if without sincerity.   Anyway, once Butman's show began we forgot about Malone's set, which WAS very good, pretty soon.  Maybe he already knew that would happen hence the cold attitude.  LOL
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 10:47
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

did it effect your love for their music? For example, when you put on an ELP record do you think about that moment or are you just locked into the music and forget it all together? Just curious.

No it did not affect my love for his music, ELP will always be one of my fav bands and Carl one of my fav drummers. I guess we are all humans and we are not always in our best mood.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 11:17
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Nah, take it from me, when you meet 'em, you find your inner prog awareness!  Look at the smile on my face!   I have no doubt that everyone posting here would be appropriate & share meaningful moments with your own heroes!  

I've met Rick, he didn't look quite so happy then - but I was wearing a Tubular Bells T-shirt so that's understandable. Coolest prog guy I've ever met was Jon Oliva of Savatage, Pain and TSO - bloody nice chap too. I had I really long chat with Nick May of Whimwise once, but he initially thought I was Clive Nolan at the time so that could explain it. I have never met any artists who I thought were stand-offish or rude - some were inevitably tired and seem to wish they were somewhere else and I think that is to be expected too sometimes, after all how many times can you hear the same question without internally sighing to yourself - not letting that show externally can be difficult.

The point I was making is when you meet your idols you cannot be 100% certain how you will react - most of the time you try to be cool yourself and that can come over as indifferent, other times you cannot control your wide-eyed fan-boyish emotions and end up grinning like an idiot, or become completely tongue-tied, forgetting the carefully rehearsed questions you planned and blurt out "Oi fink your grate - hahahahaha" before flushing crimson and running away as quickly as possible.

I have to say that I'd only approach artists who put themselves in a situation where they want to chat - at a signing session or in the bar before, after or during a gig. If I recognised someone "in public" I'd not intrude on their privacy.

Back to Bruford - I know a guitarist who was tutored by him at the Guildford Academy of Contemporary Music, by his account Bruford was a decent bloke and was more than happy to talk about his previous work with Crimson and Yes.
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 14:36

Not sure about that ... depends on them and what they do and how they communicate. Or what their work is about!

Ex: I already knew from the early days, when Daevid was hiding out in Santa Barbara that he was aproachable and a friendly guy ... but it was hard to have a conversation with him, when he was in public ... because he has to be nice and say hello to everyone ... and be his "Zen" self. But if you got him, up close and personal, away from the public, either on the bus, or on the hotel room, or sitting on the sidewalk in Portland watching the river go by ... it changes ... he's very open and will talk about anything you can think of ... and humerous ... even in his guitar shops, doing meditation music, he wanted people to do fun stuff also!

Then you go meet Gilly ... earthy as all earth ... and nice. And it was fun walking around Fred Meyer and watching her make comments about Halloween in America ... something that is not foreign to her at all ... but a "fun" holiday in America that is used to disguise the hatred for all internal and spiritual paths -- by making them all look bad and evil.

Many others I have had a chance to sit and talk to ... and probably the one person that was the toughest to talk to, and I think he felt he had an image to live by, was Damo Suzuki, so far, the only person and artist I have met, that was very disappointing. He would not talk about his artistry, which would be a welcmoe treat to give what he did some credit, instead of showing it get old and die!

Writers, at our house, and other artists, were more interesting, though discussing these here is crazy and some folks don't get it ... because they are too infatuated with fame. To hear Hemingway swear at American publishers, to have Aldous look you in the eye and ask "what you thinking little boy", or to have Sartre not like kids and always look like he thought they were the devil disturbing his concentration, and many others from Latin America and Brazil ... is very different ... maybe I was too young to "know" about the fame thing ... and thus the whole top ten and fame, and blah blah thing was never important for me.

The way the media is setup, it is all about the biggest numbers and the fame ... and you are supposed to support it, or you are not cool ... and I already knew since my kid days, that this was the pressure of the commercial world and its advertising ... but it's really hard to show people, and tell them that many of the artists that we love here, went against the grain of the social populism, to try and create change ... but years later, we're not capable of accepting that reality and realize that the hope we had, died ... but then, I agree to an extent with Dean, that it was a nice idea, but in the end, we all fell just like Revolution and the Beatles and then John Lennon ... selfish motives won out, and a month or year later we had the greed is good folks show up with flowers in their hair (so to speak -- more advertising!) ... and that was that ... life goes on!

Impressionable youth --- but some of that music was awesome! We still discuss it! We can compare it to some rap folks in 20 or 30 years ... hopefully!

Edited by moshkito - December 01 2012 at 14:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 15:38
My dad played sax on the Phil Collins Big Band tour (We only stopped getting Christmas cards from him in 2009, I believe). My family went to see a couple of shows and I got to meet Phil. I was three years old and I hardly remember anything, but I do remember that my brother (the things kids say!) told Phil that he "talked too much."

Anyways, from what everybody else said, he was actually a very warm, friendly person.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 10:00

Think of it this way ... you can't even have breakfast without someone bothering you ... specially when you are looking for a bit of quiet time so you can go over (in your head) the bit on that song, you messed up last night!

I can understand it from the point of view of a fan ... but sadly ... that usually precludes ... a person!

But, it is a tough price to pay for fame, and Carl should have known better! That is not good PR at all ... and hurts in the end, more than it will help!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 10:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

BINGO

It's really hard to explain this to folks ... but you end up learning more than you think, if you were not there for the fan thing ... sometimes it's a pull of sorts, and these people are your "teachers" ... even inadvertantly!

To me, it was not about "learning" or "follow" my heroes, since I had met many folks that were way more famous and a part of history of the arts, than almost ALL of the rock musicians you can mention ...and the effect of their artistic work, was much more visible, past the "favorite" attitudes and reasons.

But, by the time I met some "big names" they also had heard of me, and were aware of my poetry, film reviews, music reviews and photography. I didn't exactly meet them because I wanted to meet a star, because I already knew that many of them were so vain as to be the most boring idiot you ever met! And I am too stuck up to put up with that vanity ... a massive waste of time! ... I've been known to give some folks a mirror and tell them they need make-up! And I did NOT photograph that band!

Edited by moshkito - December 03 2012 at 10:27
www.pedrosena.com
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 01:43
So maybe classic prog faded because most of the prog gods were too pretentious and full of themselves to embrace the fans that ultimately paid for their castles and Ferrari's?

When I met Jon Anderson, he was smoking a cigarette and eating meatballs backstage... not tucked away in his crystal shrine repeating his Tibetian mantras like most would have been led to believe.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 11:19
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

So maybe classic prog faded because most of the prog gods were too pretentious and full of themselves to embrace the fans that ultimately paid for their castles and Ferrari's?When I met Jon Anderson, he was smoking a cigarette and eating meatballs backstage... not tucked away in his crystal shrine repeating his Tibetian mantras like most would have been led to believe.

I never could figure out how some great vocalists of our time could be smokers. I mean if yor a vocalist that's your main instrument, so why the hell are you smoking?? Even GEOFF TATE was a smoker and he could sing like a mad banshee and still does. Anyway, it's such a contradiction. I don't know they get away with it because if I had a cigarette and you asked me to sing if would be god aweful. My voice would crack. Cigi's are nasty.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 18:43
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

So maybe classic prog faded because most of the prog gods were too pretentious and full of themselves to embrace the fans that ultimately paid for their castles and Ferrari's?When I met Jon Anderson, he was smoking a cigarette and eating meatballs backstage... not tucked away in his crystal shrine repeating his Tibetian mantras like most would have been led to believe.

I never could figure out how some great vocalists of our time could be smokers. I mean if yor a vocalist that's your main instrument, so why the hell are you smoking?? Even GEOFF TATE was a smoker and he could sing like a mad banshee and still does. Anyway, it's such a contradiction. I don't know they get away with it because if I had a cigarette and you asked me to sing if would be god aweful. My voice would crack. Cigi's are nasty.

Well he doesn't really get away, it's just that he doesn't sound too bad in spite of cigarettes.  He hasn't aged as well as the late Dio who sounded very close to his 70s records right till his last gigs.   Certainly, if you want to hit an open, powerful "Take hold of the FLAAAAME", cigarettes don't help. The throat should be relaxed and 'neutral' at all times; though I am not a smoker, I imagine it would cause inflammation?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 26>