Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy classic prog faded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 26>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 20:09
There was an avant guard music scene in Seattle post grunge era that thrived for a time.. but lacked chops and virtuosity.
Jazz players often have the chops but keep cooking the same ol kettle of beans. 

It's the Fripp's and Zappa's of the world that really embrace both.. and is really at the heart of progressive rock music... creativity and virtuosity. 

Where does creativity come from?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 20:23
Confused eh?
What?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 20:31
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

There was an avant guard music scene in Seattle post grunge era that thrived for a time.. but lacked chops and virtuosity.Jazz players often have the chops but keep cooking the same ol kettle of beans.  It's the Fripp's and Zappa's of the world that really embrace both.. and is really at the heart of progressive rock music... creativity and virtuosity.  Where does creativity come from?

Really not sure what you mean here? Creative in the virtuaso sense. Like where did the virtuaso movement start?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 20:47

There was an avant guard music scene in Seattle post grunge era that thrived for a time.. but lacked chops and virtuosity.

It's the Fripp's and Zappa's of the world that really embrace both.. and is really at the heart of progressive rock music... creativity and virtuosity. 

I get your meaning....for example, what motivated Bob Fripp, who was formally trained in "trad jazz" in the British style, to form something as wild as Giles, Giles & Fripp, and then King Crimson?  You can always hear his traditional jazz background in his guitar playing if you listen for it.  

And I hear you about the "same kettle of beans" of the trad jazz crowd!  Seems like, when a leader within the culture like Fareed Haque goes off & becomes progressive, he or she gets dissed by their fellows in the jazz community.   The classical music crowd are far, far worse.  This peer pressure probably dis-incentivizes many musicians from taking a progressive path.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 02:23
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I get your meaning....for example, what motivated Bob Fripp, who was formally trained in "trad jazz" in the British style, to form something as wild as Giles, Giles & Fripp, and then King Crimson?  You can always hear his traditional jazz background in his guitar playing if you listen for it.  

And I hear you about the "same kettle of beans" of the trad jazz crowd!  Seems like, when a leader within the culture like Fareed Haque goes off & becomes progressive, he or she gets dissed by their fellows in the jazz community.   The classical music crowd are far, far worse.  This peer pressure probably dis-incentivizes many musicians from taking a progressive path.  
As far as I am aware Robert Fripp wasn't formally trained in trad jazz. Sure he had guitar and music lessons but those were the standard UK high-school level. Very few of the "classic era" musicians were ever formally trained in music, be that classical or jazz
What?
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 06:43

In Prog, generally speaking, you have this idea of a virtuoso at each position in the band.  Would any anyone really argue that Prog drummers are typically much better trained drummers who can play and solo in odd meters etc compared to a typical rock drummer who is just driving the down beat in 4/4 time? 

The Prog bassists were almost always playing more melodically, and much more interesting note selections than someone banging on the E string for 20 minutes. 

The presence of classically train or Jazz trained keyboards are much more prevelant in Prog that pop rock or straight up rock.

The guitar players were usually to some degree classically trained or player much more artfully than just learning a couple of blues scales and repeating the same sequences over different chord changes which was pretty typical. 

If you went to see Robin Trower (whom I love) you basically went to see Robin play blues music.  Two other guys in the band doing nice contributions.. but it was the Robin show.  Same for UFO... I mean it was the Micheal Schenker show.  Even a Progger could appreciate Schenker shredding his epic guitar solo in Rock Bottom or Lights Out.

But in Prog... you might have 5 people there to see and get off on any of the guys in the band.  I have a bassist friend who just worshipped Squire and bought his ticket based upon which side of the stage he was likely to be set up on.
Same for Wakeman and all his caped fans... and the Bruford fanatics, and Steve Howe was God to the technically minded guitar players.  I took a guitar class in University as an easy elective and the entire class was required to learn excerpts from "Mood for Day".  This was in 1983.

ELP... there would be arguments about each one of them being the best in the world at what they did individually.

So what really separated Prog from other genres of rock was the complete virtuostic nature of each position in the band being filled by a real expert.  I remember even Roger Waters being voted "bassist of the year".  

It was the super group mentality..... and on top of that.. the notion that the sum would STILL be greater than the parts...
and this ideology was supported perfectly by the "YES" solo albums.  "Fish out of Water" good, but not YES.  Howe's Beginnings "excellent but don't let him sing another note please!"  "Olias of Sunhillow", spiritual, but definitely missing the other guys virtuostic touches. 

But as drum machines came into vouge, and the silly quest for perfect digital production.. it enabled any band to sound "perfect" using quantization and so on.  These perfect sampled sounds, and midi and all that sounded amazingly tight to the public ear, and it really was a big smoke and mirrors job.  People liked those clean tight sounds, drum machines and so forth.. and that really killed prog.  The Prog bands felt they needed those sounds too.. and they all explored them to their demise.  Then you had the metal scene that said nonsense to those sounds and just went heavy on the low end with lots of flashy guitar solos and hairspray... and they picked up some Prog fans because of the slick solos and such.  Nirvana called them out on that and basically just did Dylan with distortion and fast drumming.  Then the whole coffee house hippie girl with a guitar stuff... Jewel.. etc.  then all the techno and rap and blends of R and B and just rehashing everything from the last 30 years. 

So I will give the Dream Theater has the everyone is a virtuoso thing.. it is Prog Metal and not Prog as a classic genre.

But what the Classic Prog bands did so well was work together... and put the music first and foremost.  Genesis was every bit as much about Collins as it was Hackett.  Crimson was never about Fripp posing as a rock God playing epic solos while standing in a white hot spotlight.  The Classic Prog offerings were much more based upon the idea of an orchestra than a bunch of flashy jazz musicians trading solos. 

The great Prog bands always felt to me a bit understated in what they actually could be doing.  It was about being tasteful, experimental but also very stylish.. which is the main thing that has been missing from most Prog for a long time.
what comes spontaneously to ask is, how many modern prog bands you listened to? because it is full of modern prog bands out there who share the same mentality of the classics, of course with a modern sound. the music changes, and classic prog is not the only type of prog. modern bands ain't only epic solos while standing in a white hot spotlight. Take The Flower Kings, Anglagard, Spock's Beard, IQ, or Dream Theater. DT's members are all perfectly trained, they are some of the greatest musicians in the world, and their music is the result of these skills combined like an orchestra. why can't they be considered prog?
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 13:20
The Flower Kings, Anglagard, Spock's Beard, IQ, or Dream Theater. DT's

Dream Theater is Prog Metal.  I prefer just the metal part and the prog aspect makes no sense in metal.  Metal is meant to be heavy and driving.  Bill Ward is all I need from a heavy drummer.  Keep the Prog drummer in the Prog band.. not in a metal band.  That is like putting Portnoy in a Reggae band. 

I have seen Dream Theater and Spocks live several times..  Spocks was a very good band early on..but too derivative from the 70's prog bands.. not enough originality for me.  The great Prog bands were all so original in their sound.. while using the same paint pod colors.  No different than 10 artists dipping into the paint and creating something totally different.  My argument is that you don't need to keep changing the actual paint itself to be progressive. ... which is essentially what the digital age has done.  My own sister went from being a masterful painter on canvas to a computer graphics artist... photoshop all that silly stuff.  Good for some things.. but not for fine art. Same with music.  Keep the computers in your office and out of your recording studio.

I have heard Flower Kings and Anglagard, and I like both those bands a lot... their earlier stuff at least.  I subscribe to Progression Magazine, but don't find much of great interest there too often.  There are things I like.. don't get me wrong.. but compared to the great Prog bands like Yes, ELP, Crimson, Tull, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Camel, Floyd, Rush, I don't see anything anywhere in the ball park of that stuff.  Where is it?

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 14:11
Have you seen Echolyn live?

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 15:51

There are things I like.. don't get me wrong.. but compared to the great Prog bands like Yes, ELP, Crimson, Tull, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Camel, Floyd, Rush, I don't see anything anywhere in the ball park of that stuff.  Where is it?

pretty much how I feel, but looking back on history and cycles i think another great cycle of music is right around the corner. i feel like for a while everyone's just been focusing on the technology and sh*t like that but i think soon we'll start seeing people who grew up with it and so are very familiar and comfortable with the new devices we have but will also have the passion and creativity to make something interesting. if you look at some of the underground electronic stuff you can already see it moving away from standard dance music to something more ambitious.

i also decided to kinda try and take things into my hands in some ways which is why I'm focusing on music tons now. it might be silly dreams or too much confidence but I think that if all goes well I could play a role in ushering in a new era of music that's both progressively interesting and genuinely expressive. of course like i said i admit the possibility of this just being wishful thinking but hey it's possible. i'm only 18 and i think my current works show a lot of potential, once i get a full band of similar minded people i think it'll really start coming together
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 17:21
I enjoyed that. Thank you.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 19:45
Sumdeus...

You have already made a difference just thinking that way.  It's not wishful thinking.  Make it happen.  Keep it interesting at every level and keep it real and you will not go wrong.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 23:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

As far as I am aware Robert Fripp wasn't formally trained in trad jazz. Sure he had guitar and music lessons but those were the standard UK high-school level. Very few of the "classic era" musicians were ever formally trained in music, be that classical or jazz

Not "formally," as in a university education, but as in being taught the fundamentals of jazz theory, mechanics of playing the instrument, theory & composition.  From Wikipedia:
Fripp began playing guitar at the age of eleven.[24] When he started, he was tone deaf and had no rhythmical sense, weaknesses which led him later to comment "Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice."[25]

While being taught guitar basics by his teacher Don Strike,[26][27] Fripp began to develop the technique of crosspicking, which became one of his specialties.[26] Fripp teaches crosspicking to his students in Guitar Craft.[28]

Fripp has also mentioned in interviews that his first guitar had such a high string action that it gave him a "musculature that was difficult to control" in later playing on the Les Paul.   His cross-picking allows him to play things that none of his peers even attempt ("Fracture" from SABB for example).   

More on Bob's early guitar lessons are at this link: 

http://www.elephant-talk.com/wiki/Interview_with_Robert_Fripp_in_Rock_and_Folk

Don's teachings were based on the Big Bands of the 20's. A multi-instrumentalist, he also mastered Hawaiian guitar, banjo...His wife would often appear in a flashy skirt to do a little hula-hoop...A real character who taught me a great deal by connecting me to tradition. 

....An old-time jazz purist like Joe Pass would've been able to play "Fracture," but not many rock guitarists.  I'm fairly certain Howe couldn't pull it off. 

Edited by cstack3 - November 12 2012 at 23:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 00:11
Howe plays things no one else can play... Fripp oddly enough is a huge Robin Trower fan.. and commented on his amazing ability to use vibrato far beyond his contemporaries.

Who is the "Robin Trower" of today?  John Mayer?  Is that where Blues has progressed?... because things change and this is the new sound people want to hear?

Where is Bob Marley? Joni? Jaco? Miles?
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 00:49
I think massive analog to digital transition circa 1980 played the crucial role. Keyboards-based bands had hard time adjusting their sound to those trite and superficial early digital synths. Some time had to pass for a compromise form to emerge (neo prog). 

BTW, I think that decline affected almost exclusively the Key-based bands. The major guitar-dominant went through this time quite unaffected (King Crimson) some even having their best moments (Rush and emerging arena rock NWOBHM scenes, that shared something with prog).

On the contrary, punk rock influence seems totally overhyped to me. I don't think it did much to progressive rock per se. From the late '76 to '78 there were a string of classic releases from classic prog bands and most were commercially the most successful for them. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 01:02

Who is the "Robin Trower" of today?  John Mayer?  Is that where Blues has progressed?... because things change and this is the new sound people want to hear?

Well, there is the excellent guitarist Derek Trucks. And oddly enough, the amazing Stevie Ray Vaughan was active in the 80s...the very decade you seem to loath so much.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 01:11
Originally posted by Thandrus Thandrus wrote:

I think massive analog to digital transition circa 1980 played the crucial role. Keyboards-based bands had hard time adjusting their sound to those trite and superficial early digital synths. Some time had to pass for a compromise form to emerge (neo prog). 
BTW, I think that decline affected almost exclusively the Key-based bands. The major guitar-dominant went through this time quite unaffected (King Crimson) some even having their best moments (Rush and emerging arena rock NWOBHM scenes, that shared something with prog).<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">
On the contrary, punk rock influence seems totally overhyped to me. I don't think it did much to progressive rock per se. From the late '76 to '78 there were a string of classic releases from classic prog bands and most were commercially the most successful for them. 

Is about survival. RUSH is a great example by how they rode the coat tailes of synth in the 80's electric circa which for them began in 1981 and lasted till 1987. Went back to a more guitar based rock sound in 1989 with Show and tell. Rush did a great job adapting with new sound movements. Personally, my favourite albums of Rush's are all from the 80's. Amazing stuff indeed. It was fight or flight because there is noway RUSH would have remained popular if they kept releasing albums like HEMISPHERES. It's true.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 02:37

Not "formally," as in a university education, but as in being taught the fundamentals of jazz theory, mechanics of playing the instrument, theory & composition.  From Wikipedia:
Fripp began playing guitar at the age of eleven.[24] When he started, he was tone deaf and had no rhythmical sense, weaknesses which led him later to comment "Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice."[25]

While being taught guitar basics by his teacher Don Strike,[26][27] Fripp began to develop the technique of crosspicking, which became one of his specialties.[26] Fripp teaches crosspicking to his students in Guitar Craft.[28]

Fripp has also mentioned in interviews that his first guitar had such a high string action that it gave him a "musculature that was difficult to control" in later playing on the Les Paul.   His cross-picking allows him to play things that none of his peers even attempt ("Fracture" from SABB for example).   

More on Bob's early guitar lessons are at this link: 

http://www.elephant-talk.com/wiki/Interview_with_Robert_Fripp_in_Rock_and_Folk

Don's teachings were based on the Big Bands of the 20's. A multi-instrumentalist, he also mastered Hawaiian guitar, banjo...His wife would often appear in a flashy skirt to do a little hula-hoop...A real character who taught me a great deal by connecting me to tradition. 

....An old-time jazz purist like Joe Pass would've been able to play "Fracture," but not many rock guitarists.  I'm fairly certain Howe couldn't pull it off. 

That doesn't indicate that he was formally taught trad jazz, this is from Fripp's diary:

"I clearly remember the moment of insight into cross-picking while practicing Dick Sadleir’s Study In 3/4 in the homework / study room at our home above the Welch & Lock office, 14, Leigh Road, Wimborne. I had recently begun guitar lessons with Don Strike at Westbourne Arcade & this was my set piece for the week. Age, probably thirteen. Rather than plonk away at the chords, there it was – arpeggiating them by cross-picking. This was the beginning of my right hand."

Don Strike Music is a small musical instrument shop in Westbourne, Dorset, (it's still there, unchanged since the 1920s), Dick Sadlier wrote dozens of books on learning a musical instrument, (still in print), none of them "Trad Jazz". Fripp had guitar and music lessons, that's all documented in his biography where he had lessons from Kathleen Gartel, Don Strike and Tony Alton, who taught  the mechanics of playing the instrument, theory & composition and that would have covered many styles of music, none of them were specifically Jazz oriented.

Edited by Dean - November 13 2012 at 02:37
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 09:50

I'm not sure this is true, or correct. Robert is versed a lot more in the experimental traditions that break down music, and are NOT jazz oriented. Those traditions, tend to break down all music to its "nothing-ness", which is a very Gurdgieff'ian idea ... which Robert would be familiar with. Gurdgieff's exercises and ideas, have been usd in film and theater (Peter Brook) and many musicians, who have not mentioned it, or, perhaps, it is just too difficult to explain, and not worth the time and effort -- specially in a place like this, where popular ideas and culture rule!

Robert's experiments, specially with ENO are interesting and quite free form ... however, you and I might conclude, since you can see it on his website, that this man is so note conscious, that he needs ENO to simply get ... something else conscious, instead of not! But to me, the "clinical" side of the notes in KC is what it became after the first album! Rinse and repeat! Rinse and repeat!

English improvisational styles are very theater oriented -- for lack of a better term -- and that would mean in my own words, that it would be based on an idea, or concept ... and you work your way all around it ... sort of ... there is a table here on the stage, and you walk around it 50 times and then find which spots, or details you can do with the table make it easier to deliver your lines ... sit, spit, hands on, off, kick the chair ... numberless moments you can play with during the time you have to deliver your lines! ... you can not tell me that this can not be done with music ... unless the musician is not a musician, in which case that person would like do even more, up to and including hammering the instrument on the table! What the National Theater and the Royal Shakespeare Company were doing in the late 60's and early 70's was MASSIVE ... and for anyone here to say that musicians are blind, stupid, and do not know what happens in their backyard ... is nuts! C'mon ... even Marianne Faithfull did a couple of things in those theaters! And Julie Christie ended up spending time with Brian Eno ... and she was also around the house of the Beat Poets, and many others ... all of whom show up in "Tonite We All Love in London" ... (Soft Machine's turn was taken out! -- but was the one moment that would have been more important!) ... and yet ...we sit here ... and ignore the time and the place!

It's hard to compare the literary status of that group ... with ... let's say ... Dream Theater and its thing ... sorry ... doesn't make DT bad ... but the literary content is ... not really good by comparison, and at times could be considered ... "pedestrian" as so many upper class snobs love to call stuff that they don't like.

If you get the chance ... sit down and compare the experimentations and designs of the music ... between English, French and German ... and those are 3 completely different, far out ... and totally different ways of doing things ... but it's hard not to say that Robert Fripp is too note conscious ... to go more freeform ... oh his own ... btw ... he is quite different as a solo artist and one great reason why some of his stuff is so good for meditation ... he knows that a "chord" should not be used and makes a point of not worrying about "his fingers" and their placement ... but that would be hard, when you are a hard coded guitarist and one of the most intelligent note-writing musicians out there in the business!

How do you de-code that? ...

Edited by moshkito - November 13 2012 at 12:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 10:40
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I'm not sure this is true, or correct. Robert is versed a lot more in the experimental traditions that break down music, and are NOT jazz oriented. Those traditions, tend to break down all music to its "nothing-ness", which is a very Gurdgieff'ian idea ... which Robert would be familiar with. Gurdgieff's exercises and ideas, have been usd in film and theater (Peter Brook) and many musicians, who have not mentioned it, or, perhaps, it is just too difficult to explain, and not worth the time and effort -- specially in a place like this, where popular ideas and culture rule!

LOL You should have followed the link in cstack3's post:
Rock & Folk >> Krishna-Murti, Gurdjieff...?

Fripp >> I don't know any of these people, their names say nothing to me...

Rock & Folk >> Of course, of course...Has the gurdjieffian theory of multiplicity not modified the question of harmonic intervals, and your scales in half key?

Fripp >> If the question is to know if I have a discipline of life, the answer is yes. But I don't see things in categorical terms...

Wink
What?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 11:24

Howe plays things no one else can play... Fripp oddly enough is a huge Robin Trower fan.. and commented on his amazing ability to use vibrato far beyond his contemporaries.

Where is Bob Marley? Joni? Jaco? Miles?

The classical ages of blues, jazz, fusion, rock, punk, and prog have all passed. It's now the middle of (or perhaps the tail-end of) the classical age for hip-hop, techno, and related genres. Digital music for a digital age.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 26>