Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 26>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:25
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^No. That is from Union

Thank you friend.

Some other notable popper YES songs that are great. RHYTHM OF LOVE, IT CAN HAPPEN, LEAVE IT( huge guilty pleasure) and Show me.

Should I be taken out back and shot in the head for having an appreciation for these tracks? You could argue that YES 80's music is better than GENESIS's, but I would disagree.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 09:25
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^No. That is from Union

Thank you friend.

Some other notable popper YES songs that are great. RHYTHM OF LOVE, IT CAN HAPPEN, LEAVE IT( huge guilty pleasure) and Show me.

Should I be taken out back and shot in the head for having an appreciation for these tracks?

Not a bit, I also love those tracks!  "It Can Happen" is my favorite Yes song from the Rabin era.  

Maybe we make too much of the "classic prog faded" phenomenon...disco faded, punk faded, rap is now fading etc.  All music seems to ebb & flow, but really strong composition seems to last.  

Look at the interest in the 40th anniversary of CTTE for example.  This is a brilliant interview with Yes (excluding Squire for some reason) that I posted elsewhere.  http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards-blog/yes-close-edge-40th-anniversary/

If marijuana becomes widely legalized in the US, I'll bet we will see a rebirth of classic prog!  Smoke
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 10:13
Such a great interview--Bill confirming what we all know about the group----and Squire missing in action--or maybe just very late.Smile
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 11:46
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 15:10
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Such a great interview--Bill confirming what we all know about the group----and Squire missing in action--or maybe just very late.Smile

I wonder if Squire wasn't pissy about being in the same room with Jon Anderson?  

Yeah, I thought it was a very insightful interview!  I'd love to hear an interview with Eddy Offord some day, I'm sure he'd have some amazing stories about that era!  
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 17:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Aquiring the Taste Aquiring the Taste wrote:

The songs were getting simpler in an attempt to grab a wider audience - though, as John Weathers admits, 'the died-in -the wool fans seemed to like if as intricate as possible.' It was a gamble that failed to pay off here as Genesis - the band so often racked alongside them in the shops - got the vote. 'It was going to be them or us - we were pulling the same size crowds in America and Britain, the same people were buying our records as theirs, and they cracked it because the went commercial about two years earlier.'

Of the five Giant members featured here, only Weathers - who replaced Dire Straits-bound Terry Williams on the drum stool for Man - is still on the road. Yet 'The Power and the Glory', a more rounded and consistent album than its predecessor if a degree or two less intricate, stands proudly in its own right as a rewarding piece of progressive rock from one of the genre's master groups.

- Michael Heatley. Many thanks for their assistance to John Weathers and Alan Kinsman.
I either don't get this or I have misunderstood... The Power & The Glory was 1974 - which would make Foxtrot Genesis's "commercial" album - neither band went "pop" until much later.

I think he(John Weathers) was referring to a little later on in the decade. I'm not sure exactly when he thinks Genesis "went commercial" but I would guess around "trick of the tail" or "Wind and Wuthering." I think he's referring more to a band's sound than commercial success by itself. Free Hand from 1975 was number 48 on the charts while Selling England from about a year and a half earlier was number 70 so that would rule chart success out. However, by 77/78 GG were becoming more commercial sounding while sales started to plummet while Genesis were gradually becoming bigger with increasing sales and a more commercial sound. Maybe around 71-75 they both had approximately the same popularity but by the time Phil Collins became Genesis' lead singer they were clearly the winners with big arenas and gold albums right around the corner.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - November 28 2012 at 17:10
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 18:13
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Aquiring the Taste Aquiring the Taste wrote:

The songs were getting simpler in an attempt to grab a wider audience - though, as John Weathers admits, 'the died-in -the wool fans seemed to like if as intricate as possible.' It was a gamble that failed to pay off here as Genesis - the band so often racked alongside them in the shops - got the vote. 'It was going to be them or us - we were pulling the same size crowds in America and Britain, the same people were buying our records as theirs, and they cracked it because the went commercial about two years earlier.'

Of the five Giant members featured here, only Weathers - who replaced Dire Straits-bound Terry Williams on the drum stool for Man - is still on the road. Yet 'The Power and the Glory', a more rounded and consistent album than its predecessor if a degree or two less intricate, stands proudly in its own right as a rewarding piece of progressive rock from one of the genre's master groups.

- Michael Heatley. Many thanks for their assistance to John Weathers and Alan Kinsman.
I either don't get this or I have misunderstood... The Power & The Glory was 1974 - which would make Foxtrot Genesis's "commercial" album - neither band went "pop" until much later.

I think he(John Weathers) was referring to a little later on in the decade. I'm not sure exactly when he thinks Genesis "went commercial" but I would guess around "trick of the tail" or "Wind and Wuthering." I think he's referring more to a band's sound than commercial success by itself. Free Hand from 1975 was number 48 on the charts while Selling England from about a year and a half earlier was number 70 so that would rule chart success out. However, by 77/78 GG were becoming more commercial sounding while sales started to plummet while Genesis were gradually becoming bigger with increasing sales and a more commercial sound. Maybe around 71-75 they both had approximately the same popularity but by the time Phil Collins became Genesis' lead singer they were clearly the winners with big arenas and gold albums right around the corner.
That would indeed make more sense, but that's not how it reads. If you read the full liner notes from The Power & The Glory CD release (as quote here) he is clearly taking about that album (otherwise it's a pointless quote). He also says they pulling the same size crowds in UK and USA as Genesis at the time, which would put it back to 1972/73 as GG popularity in the UK had fallen away by 1974 while Genesis had become more sucessful. It's not important, but it is not exactly clear to me what he means.
What?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:03
Originally posted by silveraindrop75 silveraindrop75 wrote:

all movements fade and morph. nothing stays the same. it never faded, it just changed, and so did the mediums used to present it. you could just as easily stay that it's still here to some degree, and argue that it never faded completely.

Well said!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:14

[QUOTE=Dean]
[QUOTE=Aquiring the Taste]around "trick of the tail" or "Wind and Wuthering." I think he's referring more to a band's sound than commercial success by itself. Free Hand from 1975 was number 48 on the charts while Selling England from about a year and a half earlier was number 70 so that would rule chart success out. However, by 77/78 GG were becoming more commercial sounding while sales started to plummet while Genesis were gradually becoming bigger with increasing sales and a more commercial sound. Maybe around 71-75 they both had approximately the same popularity but by the time Phil Collins became Genesis' lead singer they were clearly the winners with big arenas and gold albums right around the corner.

Yup. INVISABLE TOUCH went 7 times platinum or something. We can't Dance, sold even more!! Lol
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

^No. That is from Union

Thank you friend.

Should I be taken out back and shot in the head for having an appreciation for these tracks?

Not a bit, I also love those tracks!  "It Can Happen" is my favorite Yes song from the Rabin era.  
Maybe we make too much of the "classic prog faded" phenomenon...disco faded, punk faded, rap is now fading etc.  All music seems to ebb & flow, but really strong composition seems to last.  
Look at the interest in the 40th anniversary of CTTE for example.  This is a brilliant interview with Yes (excluding Squire for some reason) that I posted elsewhere.  http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards-blog/yes-close-edge-40th-anniversary/
If marijuana becomes widely legalized in the US, I'll bet we will see a rebirth of classic prog!  Smoke

Great. I get to save my head then!? Lol. Alright. Also, thank you for the interview link. I like band drama sometimes. :)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:26

Very good, though I'm reminded what a pompous ass Bruford is.

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Love Bruford--Yes were all full of themselves back in the day with big giant egos--somehow I think Bill had his more in perspective---- all the Yes guys have said similar things to say about Jon (that he would come in with a little vague idea and the other four turned it into something) and the way he worked being the dictator of the group---suffice it to say that Yes was not a disciplined group---and I guess pompous ass Fripp ran a more disciplined ship that suited Bill.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:53
That would indeed make more sense, but that's not how it reads. If you read the full liner notes from The Power & The Glory CD release (as quote here) he is clearly taking about that album (otherwise it's a pointless quote). He also says they pulling the same size crowds in UK and USA as Genesis at the time, which would put it back to 1972/73 as GG popularity in the UK had fallen away by 1974 while Genesis had become more sucessful. It's not important, but it is not exactly clear to me what he means.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that it was part of the liner notes for PatG. Genesis did hit it really big in the UK before the US.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:59
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Love Bruford--Yes were all full of themselves back in the day with big giant egos--somehow I think Bill had his more in perspective---- all the Yes guys have said similar things to say about Jon (that he would come in with a little vague idea and the other four turned it into something) and the way he worked being the dictator of the group---suffice it to say that Yes was not a disciplined group---and I guess pompous ass Fripp ran a more disciplined ship that suited Bill.
Nothing suited Bill, that's why he's been mostly solo for as long as he has.  Have you heard the live Bruford recordings?  He goes on and on about how wonderful and intriguing he is.   Arrogant fop.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 15:11
I met Bill briefly in person and can't really disagree with that comment. I don't know him well enough to say he's full of himself but to call him arrogant wouldn't be a stretch. He's also a bit of a hot head and snapped at me when I asked him when he might record new material. Apparently a new lineup of his band Earthworks had just formed. He probably mentioned it but I missed it and he got kind of agitated and said "Jesus Christ man, we just put this band together........." I got his autograph just before asking him that and almost regret standing in line and getting it. Oh well. Fripp and Fish were even weirder but also not very friendly. At least BB spoke to me. LOL. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 18:27

I met Bill briefly in person and can't really disagree with that comment. I don't know him well enough to say he's full of himself but to call him arrogant wouldn't be a stretch. He's also a bit of a hot head and snapped at me when I asked him when he might record new material. Apparently a new lineup of his band Earthworks had just formed. He probably mentioned it but I missed it and he got kind of agitated and said "Jesus Christ man, we just put this band together........." I got his autograph just before asking him that and almost regret standing in line and getting it. Oh well. Fripp and Fish were even weirder but also not very friendly. At least BB spoke to me. LOL. 

Well sorry to hear that. Hey, maybe classic rock fade because the artists became cynical a****les! ,

Anyway, I thought Fish would have been a cool guy. Guess not.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 13:44

Well sorry to hear that. Hey, maybe classic rock fade because the artists became cynical a****les! ,

Well, I guess this goes for most successful artists, if you don't have a 110% faith in yourself and your abilities, you'd not have the courage to put your work on display. And when you do get lots of acclaim, your ego grows even larger.
I find Bill Bruford to be rather entertaining to listen to, he really is a rather cynical guy, but I appreciate his integrity. After a whole life in the music business, I think he has a healthy distance to it all. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 16:16
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Well, I guess this goes for most successful artists, if you don't have a 110% faith in yourself and your abilities, you'd not have the courage to put your work on display. And when you do get lots of acclaim, your ego grows even larger.
I find Bill Bruford to be rather entertaining to listen to, he really is a rather cynical guy, but I appreciate his integrity. After a whole life in the music business, I think he has a healthy distance to it all. 

I met Bill to and asked him if he'd ever do Bruford again--you know maybe play and tour those classic albums--well that went over like a led balloon.LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 17:30
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Well, I guess this goes for most successful artists, if you don't have a 110% faith in yourself and your abilities, you'd not have the courage to put your work on display. And when you do get lots of acclaim, your ego grows even larger. I find Bill Bruford to be rather entertaining to listen to, he really is a rather cynical guy, but I appreciate his integrity. After a whole life in the music business, I think he has a healthy distance to it all. 

I've personally have never met any of my music hero's, but I can imagine if one artist you admire gives you a snarky response and then gives you the cold shoulder that would indeed, be quite a let down.
I guess I would turn the other cheek and say to myself, it's all about the music anyway. Might be hard though cause every time you put on one of his albums you might think about that cold hearted meeting....might ruin the music for you. It is possible. That's why it's important to conduct yourself in a nice manner, especially of your in the limelight like the Bill Bruford's of the world. :)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 17:36
Do you think when meeting your heroes you could have the most original questions for them, or would you ask the same questions they'd been asked a million times before by all the other fans who thought they'd ask the most original questions in the whole world?

Who wouldn't get a little tetchy in those situations?

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 26>