Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy classic prog faded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 13:40
True, but perhaps disco advertised their young backsides a bit better than Genesis did?

Edited by Neelus - October 05 2013 at 13:41
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 13:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

At least the major part of the classic prog rock music are made for listening, in other words not appropriate for dancing.

And just in the 70´s emerged the Disco fever with huge success and selling at that time.

These are one of the reasons why classic prog faded in the 80´s.

If in the 70s people has quit listening to long suites and started moving their asses on 4/4 it's because of people, not because of dance music. Being against the system and trying to change the world as in the 60s is not an easy thing and with the "restoration" of the second half of the 70s Disco music was one of the main offerings. 

People's will to fight for something, and sometimes people's intelligence faded, not classic prog.

Dynosaurus who were used to earn a lot of money just tried to follow the stream to continue earning, that's all. 

I'm still not getting this Disco killed Prog thing.

I'm really struggling to imagine that long-haired, bearded, unwashed, demin-clad, kaftan-wearing, patchouli-scented, dope-smoking, beer-swilling Prog audiences all had a shower, donned a white suit and headed off for Studio 54 for a bacardi cocktail and a bop on the dance floor, and then went down to the record stores to swap their copies Close To The Edge and Tarkus for the latest Disco Tex and His Sexolettes single.

I gotta totally agree with this. Disco? No way! I gotta give the human race more credit than this.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 14:22
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

At least the major part of the classic prog rock music are made for listening, in other words not appropriate for dancing.

And just in the 70´s emerged the Disco fever with huge success and selling at that time.

If in the 70s people has quit listening to long suites and started moving their asses on 4/4 it's because of people, not because of dance music. Being against the system and trying to change the world as in the 60s is not an easy thing and with the "restoration" of the second half of the 70s Disco music was one of the main offerings. 

People's will to fight for something, and sometimes people's intelligence faded, not classic prog.

Dynosaurus who were used to earn a lot of money just tried to follow the stream to continue earning, that's all. 

I'm really struggling to imagine that long-haired, bearded, unwashed, demin-clad, kaftan-wearing, patchouli-scented, dope-smoking, beer-swilling Prog audiences all had a shower, donned a white suit and headed off for Studio 54 for a bacardi cocktail and a bop on the dance floor, and then went down to the record stores to swap their copies Close To The Edge and Tarkus for the latest Disco Tex and His Sexolettes single.

I gotta totally agree with this. Disco? No way! I gotta give the human race more credit than this.

I also would love to believe that most people get into music for the sake of music...but I do not think this is the case...I do think that dance brought more girls out, and caught some attention...but in reality I am too young to know this for sure...but it seems possible...just speculating anyway.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 14:43
Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

I also would love to believe that most people get into music for the sake of music...but I do not think this is the case...I do think that dance brought more girls out, and caught some attention...but in reality I am too young to know this for sure...but it seems possible...just speculating anyway.

It's what I was saying...Disco didn't kill prog. At a certain point, music consumers changed and in a time when tape cassettes were the media used to exchange music and also the only available support for unsigned bands, labels were keen to invest on "easy things" without taking risks. Selling a standardized product, in every industry means savings and less risks. Why should a label invest on non-commercial music when the majority of its customers are happy with the Bee Gees? 

All the prog artists tried to follow the stream and started using fairlights. Some examples:

Camel - Stationary Travellers
Rick Wright - Zee - Identity
Kate Bush - every album released in the 80s (and the fairlight used by Camel was borrowed from her)

If not the fairlight, other kind of "modern sounds" led to:

Yes - 90125 and Big Generator
Caravan - Back To Front (an unsuccessful attempt to pursue the pop)
Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S.

No new prog bands appeared until Marillion, but they succeeded because EMI realized that there was still a market for that kind of music, old fashioned but easy.  

Disco is only a side effect and it existed (Motown) even before prog. Only, what in the 60s was purely black became whiter in the second half of the 70s.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 19:35

I'm not too young nor am I too old. I am precisely the correct age because in 1979 I was 22 years old, and using the formula of "half my age plus seven" (22/2+7=11+7=18), girls who were 18 years old in 1979 would have caught my attention back then no matter what music they were into. And since teenage hormones are undiscriminating little buggers, the girls of 1979 couldn't give a damn what music I liked either.

Strange as it may seem, back in the 70s girls liked Prog too.

What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 22:18
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

When music started becoming more about the "new sounds" then how the sounds were played really propped up the tombstone for the genre.. many genres of music.

Classical music has suffered greatly by this insistence that sounds need to be new and fresh... rather than the focus being on what can we play with these time tested elements of proper sonic integration.

Moogs, Mellotrons, Hammonds, Arps, Rhodes all became archaic sounds when really they shouldn't have.  The techo age of creating sounds that don't exist in the real world on any instrument is like handing cotton candy to the masses.
But cotton candy rots your teeth and digital sampling rots your ears.

Music has been about new sounds since the 60s, since the popularisation of rock.   And this obsession of sound is also partly responsible for the state of rock being what it is; because people think rock is only about Les Pauls and Hammonds and not a style of music all its own.   If people hadn't been attracted by the sound of rock in the 60s, jazz would have remained the pre-eminent music form.   Likewise, jazz offered a new sound at the beginning of the 20th century which weaned people off classical music.   I'd hazard a guess that it's always been that way (it's also what weaned off music from baroque towards classical).  If you yourself weren't as obsessive about sounds as you are, you would be far more receptive to new rock music.  
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 22:57

I'm not too young nor am I too old. I am precisely the correct age because in 1979 I was 22 years old, and using the formula of "half my age plus seven" (22/2+7=11+7=18), girls who were 18 years old in 1979 would have caught my attention back then no matter what music they were into. And since teenage hormones are undiscriminating little buggers, the girls of 1979 couldn't give a damn what music I liked either.

What kind of music do they like now? Specifically the same ones that liked prog in the 70's.

Edited by Metalmarsh89 - October 05 2013 at 22:57
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 23:32
Originally posted by Octopus-4 Octopus-4 wrote:

It's what I was saying...Disco didn't kill prog. At a certain point, music consumers changed and in a time when tape cassettes were the media used to exchange music and also the only available support for unsigned bands, labels were keen to invest on "easy things" without taking risks. Selling a standardized product, in every industry means savings and less risks. Why should a label invest on non-commercial music when the majority of its customers are happy with the Bee Gees? 
I agree.

Edited by HackettFan - October 05 2013 at 23:39
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 07:40

Big smile Clap Good to hear Dean. 
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 10:15
Like others here, I am not convinced of this "disco killed prog" thing.  Did former prog fans get into disco?  I doubt that.  Disco was a genre that appealed to teenagers, especially teenage girls, while prog appealed to educated people in their 20s and 30s.

Nor am I convinced that "punk killed prog".  Again, it was a different audience - younger, less educated, with different (more materialistic) concerns than the counterculture.

I think that the decline of classical progressive rock was to a large part caused by the progressive rock musicians themselves - they failed to advance further, and what they did after 1975 was of lesser quality than what they did before 1975.  Just compare Going for the One to Close to the Edge, and you probably get what I mean.  Many people said, "They don't cut it anymore", and went on listening the old albums - or migrated to modern jazz or classical music.

A small part of the progressive rock musicians went the way classical music went after 1945 (partly already around 1908, but it took until '45 until "atonal" music won the day) and jazz after 1965, and created astringent, dissonant, hard-to-comprehend avant-garde music that simply wouldn't sell.  But those were a minority, and their contribution to the decline of classical progressive rock was minimal.

Of course, those music journalists who always had thought that progressive rock was "overblown" said, "We have been knowing this all the time" and went on to hype punk.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 11:11
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Like others here, I am not convinced of this "disco killed prog" thing.  Did former prog fans get into disco?  I doubt that.  Disco was a genre that appealed to teenagers, especially teenage girls, while prog appealed to educated people in their 20s and 30s.

Nor am I convinced that "punk killed prog".  Again, it was a different audience - younger, less educated, with different (more materialistic) concerns than the counterculture.

I think that the decline of classical progressive rock was to a large part caused by the progressive rock musicians themselves - they failed to advance further, and what they did after 1975 was of lesser quality than what they did before 1975.  Just compare Going for the One to Close to the Edge, and you probably get what I mean.  Many people said, "They don't cut it anymore", and went on listening the old albums - or migrated to modern jazz or classical music.

A small part of the progressive rock musicians went the way classical music went after 1945 (partly already around 1908, but it took until '45 until "atonal" music won the day) and jazz after 1965, and created astringent, dissonant, hard-to-comprehend avant-garde music that simply wouldn't sell.  But those were a minority, and their contribution to the decline of classical progressive rock was minimal.

Of course, those music journalists who always had thought that progressive rock was "overblown" said, "We have been knowing this all the time" and  went on to hype punk.

As far as rock musicians failing to advance, I believe we can all generally agree that most established rock groups who were big in the early 70s had a collective brain fart by the late 70s/early 80s. Zeppelin, Floyd, Tull, Yes, ELP and others released abysmal albums within a few year period, Genesis went commercial, The Stones went disco, and a glutinous mass of slick corporate rock hogged the airways under the generic name BostonForeignerBadCompanyKansasStyxREOStarship. Add this to the punk fad (it was a two year fad, wasn't it?), the disco fad, an the advent of new wave detritus piling up on MTV, and album-oriented bands with long compositions had no place in the mottled market.

And not to cast aspersions on musical taste, but let's face it, the biggest selling single in the 70s was Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life". There is a mammoth swathe of casual listeners who have no brand affiliation, couldn't tell you what band plays what, avoid classical or jazz music like the plague and listen to whatever is trendy at the moment. I can tell you from personal experience I saw acquaintances who in high school had long hair and listened to hard or prog rock, began wearing powder blue leisure suits and danced like Tony Manero and then by the time they went to college listened to nothing but Talking Heads, The B-52s, Elvis Costello and Blondie -- all in the space between 1975 and 1980.

The music industry and the buying public has always been fickle, but the process seemed to accelerate by 1980, leading to the current state of music where single downloads on iTunes proliferate like flies on a decaying carcass, or more like some bacterial disease. No wonder why we call some hits "viral".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 11:16
^^  I was going to ask a question about exactly this, thank you.   The kind of crowds that ELP drew in the 70s,  I have only seen big hard rock/heavy metal bands match that in the last decade or so.  A flattering inference from that could be that tastes were that elevated at that time but more likely, prog was a fad for a lot of youngsters in the 70s.  Many of them must have moved on, given the state of prog since then (commercially), while some others have kept in touch with the music. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 09:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Of course, those music journalists who always had thought that progressive rock was "overblown" said, "We have been knowing this all the time" and  went on to hype punk.

As far as rock musicians failing to advance, I believe we can all generally agree that most established rock groups who were big in the early 70s had a collective brain fart by the late 70s/early 80s. Zeppelin, Floyd, Tull, Yes, ELP and others released abysmal albums within a few year period, Genesis went commercial, The Stones went disco, and a glutinous mass of slick corporate rock hogged the airways under the generic name BostonForeignerBadCompanyKansasStyxREOStarship. Add this to the punk fad (it was a two year fad, wasn't it?), the disco fad, an the advent of new wave detritus piling up on MTV, and album-oriented bands with long compositions had no place in the mottled market.

And not to cast aspersions on musical taste, but let's face it, the biggest selling single in the 70s was Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life". There is a mammoth swathe of casual listeners who have no brand affiliation, couldn't tell you what band plays what, avoid classical or jazz music like the plague and listen to whatever is trendy at the moment. I can tell you from personal experience I saw acquaintances who in high school had long hair and listened to hard or prog rock, began wearing powder blue leisure suits and danced like Tony Manero and then by the time they went to college listened to nothing but Talking Heads, The B-52s, Elvis Costello and Blondie -- all in the space between 1975 and 1980.

The music industry and the buying public has always been fickle, but the process seemed to accelerate by 1980, leading to the current state of music where single downloads on iTunes proliferate like flies on a decaying carcass, or more like some bacterial disease. No wonder why we call some hits "viral".

Yes.  The most popular kind of music in the early 70s wasn't prog.  Progressive rock was the matter of a particular segment of the population: young educated adults with a progressive world view.  The teens did not listen to prog.  Most people born before the war did not listen to prog.  The uneducated did not listen to prog.  The conservative minds did not listen to prog.  Together, these people who did not listen to prog made the vast majority of the record buyers.  Most of them bought things that were hardly better than the stuff that dominates the pop charts today.  Different, but not better.  It is just that most of the other stuff that hit the pop charts back then is now forgotten - the "Good Times" illusion.

Also, there was the rock music press bashing progressive rock as a matter of "boring old farts" whenever it could.  Why?  Because the rock music press, then as now, was not about music.  It was about rock stars, especially scandalous ones.  "Sex, drugs and rock'n'roll" - for "rock'n'roll" read music-related violence, from smashing guitars to riots at rock festivals.  Progressive rock did not offer that.  The musicians were quite civilized, and so was the audience.  Proggers did not go public about their sex life, and did not pop movie stars.  Few progressive rock musicians went beyond smoking pot in modest amounts.  You could bet that that guitar that guy took to stage would leave the stage in a playable condition at the end of the evening.  And so on.  It is thus: NEW MASTERPIECE IN SONATA FORM is not much of a headline.  ROCK STAR DIES OF OD, AGED 27 is much "better".  Guess where Lester Bangs and his colleagues got their best stories.  Not in progressive rock.

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 18:24
Unfortunately, not only american Disco "night fever" music had quite better diffusion than Classic Prog at that time, but also New Wave in the 80´s, and of course Punk Rock. Do you find an answer for that ?

We can not deny the fact: they selled much more, or do you think Phill Collins is famous for his work in Classic Prog ?  
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 18:58
This thread started as 'Why classic prog faded'. The next thing I know people are debating the validity of the Genesis album in 1983 with MAMA on it.
All I see is this...money! The radio stations pushed back hard on the record company's to stop giving them 5 and 6 minute songs (OR LONGER) that prevented them from putting more advertising into their programs. It was always out there, record companies knew this, but they persuaded the radio stations that were a bit more liberal to give it a go for the sake of what they termed as 'The Hottest Thing' and in turn the radio station got advertised when the group toured that city. But, the record companies got tired of paying the stations and the stations were left with their only course of action...  play tunes at 3 minutes or under.
Once the radio turned from the Prog artists, the recordings weren't getting heard, groups weren't selling records, tours weren't getting funded, venues started to go under and it all came tuimbling down.

As for the validity of anything Prog by Genesis post Trick...to each his own. 
Deafmoon
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 09:29

Unfortunately, not only american Disco "night fever" music had quite better diffusion than Classic Prog at that time, but also New Wave in the 80´s, and of course Punk Rock. Do you find an answer for that ?

First, bigger and broader audience.  We think of progressive rock as "better music", but we are all music geeks.  Most people aren't.  They want music that is easy to consume, not music that takes some intellectual effort to get into.  Sure, classical music has the same "problem" as progressive rock - it also takes some intellectual effort to get into - but it has prestige.  If you can tell Bach from Beethoven, you can use that to show that you are refined.  If you can tell Yes from Genesis, all you can use that to is to show that you are a geek.

Second, pop singles are cheaper and easier to produce than progressive rock albums, and punk singles are cheaper still.  The producer of a pop single can tell the musicians what to play and how to play it, and they will play it and the way he wants it (today, the instrumental "musicians" are of course often computers - but that wasn't yet the case in the 70s).  A progressive rock band would only play what they wanted to play and the way they wanted to play it, and come up with all sort of artistic and spiritual mumbo-jumbo to justify their lofty plans.  And punk records are damn cheap to produce because the musicians themselves do not demand high quality.

Third, progressive rock is subversive.  It is about building a consciousness for a better world.  And in that better world, the powers that be in our world would have a hard time.  That hurts.  Of course, punk is also rebellious - but it is pessimistic and nihilistic.  There may be something to struggle against, but you will ever fail, and there is nothing to struggle for.  The bourgeois establishment can live with that: it drains the anger of the youth and doesn't really challenge anything.  And New Wave, like disco, is not even that: it is just about having a good time, no matter what goes wrong in the world.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 11:46

Third, progressive rock is subversive.  It is about building a consciousness for a better world.  And in that better world, the powers that be in our world would have a hard time.  That hurts.  Of course, punk is also rebellious - but it is pessimistic and nihilistic.  There may be something to struggle against, but you will ever fail, and there is nothing to struggle for.  The bourgeois establishment can live with that: it drains the anger of the youth and doesn't really challenge anything.  And New Wave, like disco, is not even that: it is just about having a good time, no matter what goes wrong in the world.

I'm not sure "subversive" is the appropriate definer for prog, nor can I agree that prog " is about building a consciousness for a better world" without cracking a silly smirk thinking about Jon Anderson singing addled Shastric arias. But I do think there was a time in the early/mid 70s when important rock bands in general took a more serious turn away from stock songs of teenage angst and guttural sexual grunts (for an album or two, in any case). The Who released Quadrophenia, Yes had Fragile, Close to the Edge and the cumbersome Tales from a Topographic Ocean, ELP came up with Brain Salad Surgery before going completely off the deep end with the Works albums, Floyd had Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, Traffic released Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, there was King Crimson's entire prickly output from 69-74, Tull offered Aqualung and the album-long Thick as a Brick before getting even more enigmatic with A Passion Play, even Led Zeppelin swerved from lyrical rock pablum with Physical Graffiti, and the Rolling Stone's Exile on Main Street was about as serious and complete an album as they could get with Keith Richards strung out on heroin.

A 1971 review of Aqualung from Disc and Music Echo shouted: “Good heavens, now Ian Anderson wants us to think!” and all this thinking (usually modified with some type of hallucinogen if I recall correctly) led to inevitable burn-out amongst the record-buying public, a backlash from amateurish 4 chord English and American punk bands (who listened to the MC5 and Iggy Pop, not Bach or Miles Davis), and shallow young men donned their platform soles, leisure suits and Sagittarius medallions because you simply could not get laid while listening to "Heart of the Sunrise", "Cat Food" or Ginastera's "Toccata
." Like cats with twine, people eventually become bored with thinking, or at least with complexity; hence, we often list great literary works in neat little bookish rows, but buy rubbish like "Fifty Shades of Gray" or "Twilight", or extol the virtues of "Masterpiece Theater" but watch "The Kardashians" with endless fascination. New York reviewers echoed this mindlessness by praising punk rock's "return to its roots", when all the while they were tired of thinking.

Edited by The Dark Elf - October 08 2013 at 11:56
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dragontrouser View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 15:59
Wow there is a lot on this thread to get my head around - very interesting debate.

I dont know if it has been mentioned but around the time Prog was waning - say 1976-78 - many heavy metal bands were also born as this genre emerged from the heavy end of prog rock bands, whilst there was also a lot of popular soft rock (eg Supertramp, 10CC etc). Bands like Queen were huge by 1975 and remained so whilst Prog waned.  In retrospect there were so many styles and variations going on but the era of platinum selling 4 track double album was definitely passed.

I think Prog Rock became less popular and faded because the generation that really liked it were no longer the target audience of the record companies and the newer generations of teenagers were more interested in heavy metal or other music genres. After the hike in vinyl prices record companies were probably far less adventurous and once Prog was seen to be "out of fashion" they would have avoided it like the plague - and convinced many bands to change their style. 

I think the complexity and impenetrability of some Prog was a factor in its falling popularity - but who knows for sure whether there really was a fall-off in popularity?. What I see is that this product was withdrawn from offer, not that it failed to sell. If Yes had released Close to the Edge in 1979 I am sure it would have done just as well then and certainly better than Going For The One. I would like to think it would have topped the album charts in the 1980s too.

Another factor perhaps is that many of the artists themselves were burned out by the mid-late 70s and were looking to produce something fresh and different to what they had spent the last 5-10 albums doing.. 

Edited by Dragontrouser - October 08 2013 at 16:01
Dragontrouser View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 16:18
[/QUOTE=Dean]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely spot on. Sadly though, what i suspect happened is that they grew out of their teenage/young adult aspirations as they got jobs, got married, had kids etc. The die hards with the big record collections would have stayed faithful, but the journeymen who got into it as a way of meeting girls/having a good time while at college would move on.

Back in 1982 i started work in an office and met a guy who had settled down and by then held a senior post. Almost subversively i borrowed lots of Prog from him Can, Magma, Tangerine Dream, Peter Hamill, PFM - all sorts. Each album had his initials MW in a stylised logo at the bottom left hand corner. At uni he had lived the Prog/hippy thing in the mid 1970s and had a huge album collection. By 1982 though he was keen to let you know that his tastes had moved on to more contemporary bands.

Edited by Dragontrouser - October 08 2013 at 16:21
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 01:34
Quote from somebody: the generation that really liked it were no longer the target audience of the record companies

I think this is the synhtesis of the whole thread. There was no bandcamp in the 80s and only the bigs were in condition to self-produce their albums.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>