Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrolls scare a band from PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 17:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Every artist who releases an album says in the press "This is the best thing we've ever done." And I believe they mean that - of course several years (or even months) down the line they'll change their mind (usually just before they release the next one).

Yeah, but there's a difference between "the best thing we've ever done" and "the best thing anyone has ever done." Of course you want to be improving on your previous work and producing the best product you can, but that doesn't mean you are capable of writing revolutionary masterpieces.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 18:01
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Every artist who releases an album says in the press "This is the best thing we've ever done." And I believe they mean that - of course several years (or even months) down the line they'll change their mind (usually just before they release the next one).

Yeah, but there's a difference between "the best thing we've ever done" and "the best thing anyone has ever done." Of course you want to be improving on your previous work and producing the best product you can, but that doesn't mean you are capable of writing revolutionary masterpieces.
There are (literally) thousands of 5-star ratings and 5-star reviews on this site - very few of them are "masterpieces" in the literal/classical sense of the word ("masterpiece" was not the best choice of word for a star-rating) - it has never meant "revolutionary masterpiece" here - it just means "this is one of my most favourite albums"
What?
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 18:06
But it specifically doesn't mean "one of my most favorite albums." It specifically means "Essential. A masterpiece of progressive rock music." That is the way our ratings system is set up.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 18:25

But it specifically doesn't mean "one of my most favorite albums." It specifically means "Essential. A masterpiece of progressive rock music." That is the way our ratings system is set up.
Now tell that to everyone who's rated a non-masterpiece album with a 5-star rating. Including all the collabs and fat bottomed girls who rated Still The Waters as a masterpiece Wink

Edited by Dean - November 13 2012 at 18:25
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 19:11

Now tell that to everyone who's rated a non-masterpiece album with a 5-star rating. Including all the collabs and fat bottomed girls who rated Still The Waters as a masterpiece Wink

I don't rate my own stuff, but if I did, I'd give StW either a 3 or 4.  I love the compositions but I could have fixed a lot in the recording aspect (which I am [slowly] working on now).  I have not added the album to bandcamp yet for that reason- I am going back and making adjustments.

I genuinely think Refulgence is a solid four.  Which is what I go for.  I don't go for "five star," because I think that is something special that means I made a powerful connection with a listener.  I shoot for "excellent."  Most albums for me?  No amount of fiddling or tweaking will take it from a four to a five.  A five star rating here from me is special- it means the content of the album changed me in some powerful way.

As for those who rated my first album highly, three things:

1. I never expected to see such a reception.  I was skeptical of it myself.  Everyone who reviewed it thusly assured me they were being honest.

2. A flood of scathing reviews came in shortly thereafter.  They were more helpful to me.

3. There are other fat bottomed girls who like my music?  Shocked Heart Pig

Edited by Epignosis - November 13 2012 at 19:12
Battlestations View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 19:16

There are (literally) thousands of 5-star ratings and 5-star reviews on this site - very few of them are "masterpieces" in the literal/classical sense of the word ("masterpiece" was not the best choice of word for a star-rating) - it has never meant "revolutionary masterpiece" here - it just means "this is one of my most favourite albums"

This.

It's probably impossible to determine what constitues objectively a masterpiece. This is music, the most subjective thing of all. What a huge number of people will rate 5 stars, a not so negligible number of others will rate 1. To them, it certainly doesn't feel like a masterpiece. And yet, those 1 star raters will rate other things 5 stars in all honesty, because that record means something to them, even if it's not so highly regarded, or even despised by a lot, in some cases.
It's not unreasonable to think that the rating system here is used mostly to convey personal appreciation of such or such record, but maybe not as an exercise in trying to be objective as to what can be called, or not, "an essential masterpiece".
We'd go on a limb and agree with Dean that the ratings wording is perhaps not the most accurate...

Just our 0.02€

Edited by Battlestations - November 13 2012 at 19:21
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 20:13
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I don't rate my own stuff, but if I did, I'd give StW either a 3 or 4.  I love the compositions but I could have fixed a lot in the recording aspect (which I am [slowly] working on now).  I have not added the album to bandcamp yet for that reason- I am going back and making adjustments.

I genuinely think Refulgence is a solid four.  Which is what I go for.  I don't go for "five star," because I think that is something special that means I made a powerful connection with a listener.  I shoot for "excellent."  Most albums for me?  No amount of fiddling or tweaking will take it from a four to a five.  A five star rating here from me is special- it means the content of the album changed me in some powerful way.

1. I never expected to see such a reception.  I was skeptical of it myself.  Everyone who reviewed it thusly assured me they were being honest.

2. A flood of scathing reviews came in shortly thereafter.  They were more helpful to me.

It wasn't a criticism Rob - just making a point that people give 5-star ratings to albums they like/love for whatever reason regardless of what it says in the rating description/guideline. Those people must have noticed the production and recording and seen past that to the music itself and made that connection to what the music was conveying. Quite a few masterpieces suffer from production flaws that could be fixed, but as we have seen with some remix/remasters and re-recordings, fixing those doesn't necessarily make things better. Errors or weakneses in the composition/structure are something else - a masterpiece is a masterpiece regardless of how well it was recorded - there are good versions and bad versions of Beethoven's 9th but it's still a masterpiece.

Tweeking and fiddling cannot make 4-star album a 5-star album, but rethinking and revising a 4-star tune can make it a 5-star tune - Pink Floyd used to do did this all the time, "Set The Controls", "Saucerful of Secrets", "Becareful With That Axe" became 5-star live tunes after they were recorded in the studio;  "Nothing, Parts 1–24" was worked and reworked live and in the studio before it became a 5-star composition we now know as "Echoes"; "Ravin' an Droolin'" wasn't a 5-star tune but it became one after being reworked as "Sheep"; Rick Wright's "Violent Sequence" originally intended for Zabriski Point became a sublime 5-star tune as "Us And Them". 

Many bands' debut albums are more popular and/or successful than their sophomore releases ("that difficult second album") - there are probably dozens of conflicting reasons for this, but one of them is the first album's songs were road-tested and chosen because they work live, they'd been tweeked and honed to work on stage, whereas the second album was pushed out quickly to capitalise on their over-night success so less honing-time was given to each track and they were probably not played live until after they'd been recorded.

What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 20:28

It wasn't a criticism Rob - just making a point that people give 5-star ratings to albums they like/love for whatever reason regardless of what it says in the rating description/guideline. Those people must have noticed the production and recording and seen past that to the music itself and made that connection to what the music was conveying. Quite a few masterpieces suffer from production flaws that could be fixed, but as we have seen with some remix/remasters and re-recordings, fixing those doesn't necessarily make things better. Errors or weakneses in the composition/structure are something else - a masterpiece is a masterpiece regardless of how well it was recorded - there are good versions and bad versions of Beethoven's 9th but it's still a masterpiece.

Tweeking and fiddling cannot make 4-star album a 5-star album, but rethinking and revising a 4-star tune can make it a 5-star tune - Pink Floyd used to do did this all the time, "Set The Controls", "Saucerful of Secrets", "Becareful With That Axe" became 5-star live tunes after they were recorded in the studio;  "Nothing, Parts 1–24" was worked and reworked live and in the studio before it became a 5-star composition we now know as "Echoes"; "Ravin' an Droolin'" wasn't a 5-star tune but it became one after being reworked as "Sheep"; Rick Wright's "Violent Sequence" originally intended for Zabriski Point became a sublime 5-star tune as "Us And Them". 

Many bands' debut albums are more popular and/or successful than their sophomore releases ("that difficult second album") - there are probably dozens of conflicting reasons for this, but one of them is the first album's songs were road-tested and chosen because they work live, they'd been tweeked and honed to work on stage, whereas the second album was pushed out quickly to capitalise on their over-night success so less honing-time was given to each track and they were probably not played live until after they'd been recorded.

I think the primary flaw here lies in an understanding of "masterpiece."  If people would stop using terms like "objective review," we might have a bit more honesty.  There is no "objective masterpiece."  The word "masterpiece" is and always shall be a subjective term.  Even if we're talking about the classical definition, that just means it's a collective opinion.  An artist's masterpiece could theoretically change over the decades as new critics come into play.

But in our little context, we (mis?)use "masterpiece" to refer to any album we deem worthy of our highest honor.  I have never had a problem with that.  If the verbiage needs to be changed, fine (I would not advocate only allowing one five star per artist).  I disagree with some of the Pink Floyd pieces you mentioned being five star when reworked.  You love PF- I can make the same claim about Kansas who went through three incarnations and even have two different lineups playing some of the same material.  But you will no doubt disagree and say "Incomudro" or "Greek Structure Sunbeam" are not five star songs.

I do take umbrage at those who use ones and fives in a binary way. 

By the way, I did not view your comments as a criticism.

Edited by Epignosis - November 13 2012 at 20:30
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 21:15

Maybe you're not capable, but you must believe  you are.

I have a Symphonic book almost ready for a year and haven't released it because I believe I can do it better, if I don't believe it's an important book that will help people to understand and love Symphonic Prog, I will not release it.

And if I believe I achieved that, it will deserve 5 stars for me.

Now in music,  people criticized me on a forum for giving "The Grand Illusion" 5 stars and "In the Court of the Crimson King" 2 stars

But for me the STYX album is a perfect masterpiece, may not be as brilliant as Foxtrot or Illusions on a Double Dimple, but they achieved their goal, they did a transcendental album with no weak spots  that was important for a generation, and  that deserves 5 stars in my book.

On the other hand, King Crimson where far from what they are able to do, they made an album that is complex for the sake of complexity

The word Masterpiece is overrated.

Master is simply an artist, performer, or player of consummate skill, and masterpíece for me, is music that demonstrates those specific skills

Some people believe that a masterpiece is something out of this world, I don't.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 13 2012 at 21:54

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 00:53
Rob is right that an opinion of masterpiece is a subjective one.

I happen to agree with Jim and Rob more than Dean (unusual for me) and Ivan. This does not mean that Dean & Ivan are wrong, it just means I disagree with them. Such things will always happen when a bunch of people get together.

Also, an important point. I never, ever, take any notice whatsoever of a rating. I also take barely any notice of about 90% of reviews, just those people whom I know and trust do a good job.

We really do tend to over analyse these things. It's music. It's supposed to be fun.......man.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 02:11

I think the primary flaw here lies in an understanding of "masterpiece."  If people would stop using terms like "objective review," we might have a bit more honesty.  There is no "objective masterpiece."  The word "masterpiece" is and always shall be a subjective term.  Even if we're talking about the classical definition, that just means it's a collective opinion.  An artist's masterpiece could theoretically change over the decades as new critics come into play.

But in our little context, we (mis?)use "masterpiece" to refer to any album we deem worthy of our highest honor.  I have never had a problem with that.  If the verbiage needs to be changed, fine (I would not advocate only allowing one five star per artist).  I disagree with some of the Pink Floyd pieces you mentioned being five star when reworked.  You love PF- I can make the same claim about Kansas who went through three incarnations and even have two different lineups playing some of the same material.  But you will no doubt disagree and say "Incomudro" or "Greek Structure Sunbeam" are not five star songs.

You have just proved my point (and I deliberately picked PF for this very reason) - it's subjective and personal, ergo there is nothing wrong with a band thinking their latest album is a masterpiece. An artist can produce several masterpieces, it doesn't have to mean it is their best piece.

(But I still can't get my head around why anyone would want to release an album they thought they could have done better.)

PS: the use of the PF examples was not accidental even though you rightly pointed out that I love them  - you rated Animals and DSotM with 5-stars and, (you can correct me of course), I suspect side one of Meddle prevented you from rating that as 5-stars. Floyd could have settled for second-best with those albums, but they didn't because they reworked those tracks.

Edited by Dean - November 14 2012 at 03:11
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 06:36

You have just proved my point (and I deliberately picked PF for this very reason) - it's subjective and personal, ergo there is nothing wrong with a band thinking their latest album is a masterpiece. An artist can produce several masterpieces, it doesn't have to mean it is their best piece.

(But I still can't get my head around why anyone would want to release an album they thought they could have done better.)

PS: the use of the PF examples was not accidental even though you rightly pointed out that I love them  - you rated Animals and DSotM with 5-stars and, (you can correct me of course), I suspect side one of Meddle prevented you from rating that as 5-stars. Floyd could have settled for second-best with those albums, but they didn't because they reworked those tracks.

I wasn't trying to disprove that an artist can think their work is a masterpiece.  I agree that they can.  Jon Anderson put out Going for the One and after five albums that many Yes fans consider superior, Anderson said (of "Awaken") that they finally had a masterwork.

What I was arguing against is the notion in your second line there (in bold and red).  I can answer this a number of ways:

1. The band has a deadline with a record label.
2. The material is meant to simply entertain and not satisfy some artistic measure of achievement.
3. The band are satisfied enough.
4. Some members of the band think its perfect, while others do not.
5. Screwing with something too much can actually make it worse.

If people waited until they no longer felt they could do any better, I doubt we'd have much new music at all.  I would probably never release anything.

I like side one of Meddle, but
"Seamus" is annoying and "San Tropez" is just a pleasant little jazz number. 

I also rated The Final Cut four stars. The FBG gave it five.  Tongue

Edited by Epignosis - November 14 2012 at 06:36
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 07:17

1. The band has a deadline with a record label.
2. The material is meant to simply entertain and not satisfy some artistic measure of achievement.
3. The band are satisfied enough.
4. Some members of the band think its perfect, while others do not.
5. Screwing with something too much can actually make it worse.

I would add 7. You don't think you can do any better, but you still don't think it's a five star record.

I bet if you asked most musicians that we consider legendary, they would not rate their own music as highly as those artists that came before and inspired them.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 10:45
IMHO if an artist rates his own album with lets say 3 stars is like saying:

"Yes it's good but not excellent" or "I could have done a better job"

If the own artist believes this...Why should I buy this album?

Why shouldn't I believe that the value of the album is even worst because no artist will give a rating so low that nobody will buy the album.

Iván

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 11:06
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

"I could have done a better job"

Nobody says you should.

But is it necessary for an artist to rate his own album a 5-star, as a masterpiece, if the artist don't think it is and the artist have done the best job he, she or they could? Shouldn't an artist release an album if he, she or they believe they have done the best they could, but knows it doesn't match up with what the artist perceive to be a masterpiece?
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 11:09
I just think the contention that every one is capable of producing a five star album if they put enough time and effort into it is wrong. You keep saying that if an artist rates his own album below five stars it means it's unfinished or he could have done better. In most cases, no matter how many years you spend making something it is not going to have that magic that sets five star albums apart from ones that are just very good.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 11:21
^I agree with that for the most part. And many people criticize themselves more harshly than their peers may.

From what I've read, Anthony Burgess grew to despise his 'A Clockwork Orange', or at least consider it one of his lesser works. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 11:37
I think it's healthy for an artist to be humble enough to recognize his own shortcomings.  (If being less than perfect can be considered a shortcoming).  Even "unfinished" art has its place -- it's a building block towards a certain goal or vision.  What would it have been like if The Pink Floyd held off on releasing any music until Dark Side of the Moon?  DSOTM couldn't have happened if not for those crucial early albums.  In fact, I find them a lot more fascinating than the "perfection" of DSOTM.

I realize we're off topic here, but I'd been waiting for the right words to chime in..
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 12:18
Artists don't hear their music like others do. Their music is something special and sacred, practically an extension of themselves. So it doesn't matter how good the artist "thinks" they did or not.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 15:36
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

"Yes it's good but not excellent" or "I could have done a better job"

Why shouldn't I believe that the value of the album is even worst because no artist will give a rating so low that nobody will buy the album.

Iván

Because my love for Tales from Topographic Oceans exists despite what Mr. Wakeman says about it? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>