Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVictorian Ghost Stories In Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 13:46
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 15:17
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDBDmLcMgwU

I have 3 albums by Strawbs that I love dearly ... Hero and Heroine, Ghosts and Deadlines.

However, these 3 albums, are ... not quite "progressive", as much as it is more "eccentric" pop songs. Almost all the stuff that Dave Cousins does is just a song, and the compositions are almost all the same, but sounding very different, with very well done lyrics and lines.

I would not consider, this band ... "progressive" at all ... just one of those rock bands that made it bigger, because they did have some very nicely written things, most of which stood out because of Dave Cousins expressions and spoken word while singing. His voice and sarcasm, comes off as a sort of Vincent Price at times, with a tone that could be considered "scary".

I am not sure about what the terms are for this band, but should be crossover or neo prog ... os something similar that specifies that they are in the middle and nowhere at all at the same time!

But there is some neat and good material.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 01:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDBDmLcMgwU

I have 3 albums by Strawbs that I love dearly ... Hero and Heroine, Ghosts and Deadlines.

However, these 3 albums, are ... not quite "progressive", as much as it is more "eccentric" pop songs. Almost all the stuff that Dave Cousins does is just a song, and the compositions are almost all the same, but sounding very different, with very well done lyrics and lines.

I would not consider, this band ... "progressive" at all ... just one of those rock bands that made it bigger, because they did have some very nicely written things, most of which stood out because of Dave Cousins expressions and spoken word while singing. His voice and sarcasm, comes off as a sort of Vincent Price at times, with a tone that could be considered "scary".

I am not sure about what the terms are for this band, but should be crossover or neo prog ... os something similar that specifies that they are in the middle and nowhere at all at the same time!

But there is some neat and good material.

Good Heavens, man!  They had John Hawken, easily one of the best prog keyboardists in history!  

If Jethro Tull is considered prog, Strawbs certainly should be.  
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 15:48
The Musical Box? 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 11:30

Good Heavens, man!  They had John Hawken, easily one of the best prog keyboardists in history!  

If Jethro Tull is considered prog, Strawbs certainly should be.  

Agreed.

Simon House also fits the bill for me ... he has some magnificent work with Hawkwind, and then on his own as well.

I consider him far superior and creative than Rick Wakeman ... who may have the fame ... but just the "classic chops" and not much else!

Get a DAW and put on (let's say) Echoes ... and it shows it to you in tracks. Remove all of them except Rick Wright's ... listen to it from the start!

The best for my ears, if you do this, would be Falk U Rogner of Amon Duul 2, and Rick Wright. Next would be Richard Barbieri. After that Hawken, House would be right up there and I have to scratch my head to name more ... the guy from Djam Karet should be listed up there also.

Most of the rest are too conventional for my tastes ... you can hear it in how they "color" the music. As for it being "sexy" or "victorian", I tend to think that is a value that we expand into someone else's music, thinking or feeling, and not quite a reality. But, lyrics, sometimes make it look like the song, or piece, is connected to something or other, and like Strawbs in the album cover, it makes it look like it is connected to Ghosts ... and more than half of the album is not connected to such at all!

Also was thinking of one of the BEST ghost albums, that is more "timeless" than the Victorian thing ... kinda weird that we only associate "ghosts" with a victorian" or English story ... BRAINTICKET's "Cottonwood Hill" is fantastic, but not easy to listen to ... it's down right scary and we do not know if the girl is having an orgasm, or is trully scared ... but the one thing you do not see is ... that is a mind racing from here to your ears ... and that is very common in those kinds of situations ... and you don't need "lyrics" to SHOW you how the whole thing can unsettle your mind and scare you! The sound effects coming and going alone are great!

Edited by moshkito - December 05 2012 at 08:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 23:08
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

The Musical Box? 

Yea that certainly has quite an eerie and unsettling feel to it in parts.
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 08:55
Originally posted by menawati menawati wrote:

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

The Musical Box? 

Yea that certainly has quite an eerie and unsettling feel to it in parts.

Cheap Thrills for the rock music audience!

An Electric Storm in Hell ... is a lot more eerie and scary ... and timeless!
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 17:59
The visitor by Arena? I think this can be related to many Victorian ghosts stories where a monster
/alien type creature stalks and haunts a town by taking on many forms.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12