11 [22.92%]
15 [31.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 07:35
My fave two are Ocean and Silent Cries.  I'm voting for the latter as the Ocean material is much stronger on the Live album.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 07:38
Silent Cries I guess

I like them all
Prog On!
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 07:45
For me, it's all about Ocean.

What an awesome record!
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 08:57
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I'm looking forward to being able to vote in this poll, but my Eloy journey has just begun. I've only heard Ocean and Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes so far and they were absolutely first-rate. I'm interesting now in hearing where the band were musically before Ocean and where they went after Silent Cries. So excited to hear more albums.
Eloy have never been very original, but they are so good that who cares? The first albums are more hard rock oriented and I've always thought that the first period is inspired to Uriah Heep, the second to Pink Floyd (obviously) and then they went into the 80s.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel their music quite genuine in general, obviously I find some songs really PF like, but ironically these are not my favourite ones. To be honest I didn't enjoy much the albums before Dawn and Power and The Passion - the ones I prefer over the predecessors (together with Ocean), but indeed no weak moment in Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes for me, my favourite all the way through. De Labore Solis is absolutely pure magic!! However I have other favourite of mine which isn't in this album: Mutiny (Power and The Passion), another brilliant piece that brings this genuine Eloy's atmosphere at its most! Besides I pretty much enjoy the way that Frank Bornemann sings, it enhances this genuine sound they have, at least for me.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 09:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Believe me, you are in for one heck of a joy-ride !!!

Excellent! This is good to hear. I've really enjoyed the two albums I've heard so far: Ocean and Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes.

Do you have a favorite Eloy album, Tom Ozric?

Edited by Mirror Image - August 14 2014 at 09:28
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 09:32
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I'm looking forward to being able to vote in this poll, but my Eloy journey has just begun. I've only heard Ocean and Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes so far and they were absolutely first-rate. I'm interesting now in hearing where the band were musically before Ocean and where they went after Silent Cries. So excited to hear more albums.
Eloy have never been very original, but they are so good that who cares? The first albums are more hard rock oriented and I've always thought that the first period is inspired to Uriah Heep, the second to Pink Floyd (obviously) and then they went into the 80s.

Well, there are some Floydian elements in their music every now and again, but I'm finding them to be a pretty unique band so far. Frank Bornemann's vocals, despite whatever negative reaction they've inspired, are a perfect fit with the music. Honestly, he really doesn't sing that much, so it doesn't bother me. It seems the music guides everything with Eloy and that's the way it should be for a prog band IMHO.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 14 2014 at 09:33
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 09:34
Power and the Passion.Perhaps "Floating" and "Inside" are better albums but PATP is very special for me.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 11:10
Silent Cries gets my vote. They just got better and better after every album at that period.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 13:09
I'm going with Dawn.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 13:34
Eloy have a great discography. Despite that for many years I liked more Ocean and Dawn, now my favs are Inside and Floating.
Vote Floating.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 14:52
It's quite surprising to see just a few people voting here, Eloy is a great band an deserved much more people voting. Anyway I expected the majority voting for Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes, but I think that Power And The Passion should deserve much more than 2 votes, anyway this album might have been a second vote for other people here, maybe this album is considered a more introspective one, whatever might be people think about it, Power And The Passion will remain for me as one of Eloy's greater works.

proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 15:23

Ocean.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 15:41
It seems Ocean and Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes have received the most votes, which is fine of course as I love both of these albums and think they're superb, but I really freakin' love Floating the more I listen to it. Their debut, Inside and Dawn are the two albums from this period I haven't heard yet, which why I'm still refraining from voting for now.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 17 2014 at 15:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 15:45
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

It's quite surprising to see just a few people voting here, Eloy is a great band an deserved much more people voting. Anyway I expected the majority voting for Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes, but I think that Power And The Passion should deserve much more than 2 votes, anyway this album might have been a second vote for other people here, maybe this album is considered a more introspective one, whatever might be people think about it, Power And The Passion will remain for me as one of Eloy's greater works.

Passion and the Power is very good indeed. I think I recall it being a more introspective album as well, but I still need to give it a few more listens before I can say with any certainty of why I would prefer to another album.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 16:35
Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 17:42
Dawn seems to be doing pretty good in this poll. This one I haven't heard. Is it much different from Power and the Passion? I know Ocean marked a change in their sound.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 17 2014 at 17:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 18:26
^Well I strongly agree with Eloy's biography in PA regarding the changings of the band's sound towards a symphonic-era that began just with the releasing of Power and the Passion, the similarities with Dawn are pretty clear for me.

In the other hand, I realize that I'm still not familiar with that so called krautrock style present in their first three albums, so I'm looking forward to giving them some other spins, just one or twice is like nothing I guess.

Edited by Rick Robson - August 17 2014 at 18:27

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 18:50

^Well I strongly agree with Eloy's biography in PA regarding the changings of the band's sound towards a symphonic-era that began just with the releasing of Power and the Passion, the similarities with Dawn are pretty clear for me.

In the other hand, I realize that I'm still not familiar with that so called krautrock style present in their first three albums, so I'm looking forward to giving them some other spins, just one or twice is like nothing I guess.

Of the early albums, I've heard Floating so far and I don't hear a Krautrock sound to them at all. I hear a prominent space rock/psychedelic sound in many of their albums with the later ones in the 70s having more symphonic prog undercurrents.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 19:12

Of the early albums, I've heard Floating so far and I don't hear a Krautrock sound to them at all. I hear a prominent space rock/psychedelic sound in many of their albums with the later ones in the 70s having more symphonic prog undercurrents.

yeah you are right, maybe only the first album is suitable for a krautrock style, I was refering to Power And The Passion as featuring less heavy space-rock and the begining of a space/symphonic rock style, and some moments I find there even a bit of a Classical influences, well that are my impressions about it anyways.

Edited by Rick Robson - August 17 2014 at 19:19

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 19:27

yeah you are right, maybe only the first album is suitable for a krautrock style, I was refering to Power And The Passion as featuring less heavy space-rock and the begining of a space/symphonic rock style, and some moments I find there even a bit of a Classical influences, well that are my impressions about it anyways.

I agree. Power and the Passion is the beginning of a constant flirtation with the symphonic prog style.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>