Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZoviet France for prog Electronic.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoviet France for prog Electronic.
    Posted: November 22 2012 at 01:04

"Zoviet France is an idiosyncratic collective of anonymous postindustrialists, dronologists, and pseudo-ethnomusicologists. Their investigations have taken them into fictional cultures where nothing is easily located and reality often slips into the hypnagogic. Having secluded themselves in Newcastle, England since their inception in 1980, Zoviet France have developed a radical relationship with the cheap technologies of old-fashioned tape recorders, homemade acoustic instruments, primitive looping and sampling devices, and basic dub trickery. From these machines, the collective has crafted a distinctly unique vocabulary of postindustrial sonic hypnosis. Just as Zoviet France's sound was alchemic reconfigurations of inexpensive technologies, their vinyl packaging literally covered their sounds with aluminum, roofing shingles and porcelain."   

- from discogs.com.

I think Zoviet France are best described as a experimental ambient industrial band. Much of the bands work is unquestionably progressive, and I've always felt that they were progressive in a way that fits the bill of this sites Prog Electronic.

website (not official) : http://www.the-edge.ws/zoviet/

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 13:29
Yeah Zoviet France..... Must admit to being a huuuuuge fan - and have on several occasions thought about suggesting them for PE. A couple of years ago, but still.... 
I'm not sure really, but seeing as we've got Throbbing Gristle up in this mother, I think it only fair to give these guys a fair chance.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dobermensch View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 06:44
I'm always half expecting Zoviet France to appear in the Archives. I agree with the other comments - if Throbbing Gristle are allowed entry, then so should Zoviet France. ZF may be less tuneful but they are more prog related than TG and are far less disjointed from track to track.

Plus the fact - they're my favourite band of all time! I own everything they've released and can only tremble at the thought of having to write reviews for these bizarre recordings. What a challenge that would be...
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 09:17
Still under consideration by the PE team.
 Post Reply Post Reply