FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Most Influential Guitarists In Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Most Influential Guitarists In Prog Rock
    Posted: November 24 2012 at 19:56
From the start of the genre in the lates 1960's up to today who do you think are the five most influential guitarists in prog rock. I am sure this will be open to a lot of debate. My five would be, in no particular order:

Steve Hackett
Steve Howe
Robert Fripp
David Gilmour
Steve Rothery
"Sometimes the afterglow isn't enough and we have to move on." Steve Hackett
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 20:14
This all depends on whether we allow Proto-Prog.  If that is the case, I would say:

1. Hendrix
2. Fripp
3. Beck
4. Page
5. Blackmore

If not, I would then say:

1. Fripp
2. Howe
3. Gilmour
4. Barre

Genesis overall is of course very influential, but the most influential guitar sound has as much to do with Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford as it does with Steve Hackett.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 20:22
yeah the prog guitar influence is very strong but also very quiet, and whether you mean the influence on prog or on all guitarists --  to be honest I hear very little impact by prog guitarists on rock or pop generally, the most direct influence I can think of is Hackett's one on Eddie Van Halen and all the rock players who in turn adopted that style.  If we're talking Fusion then you have Holdsworth, McLaughlin and DiMeola all with a huge effect on other players.   As for the influence on modern prog it would have to be Fripp followed by Gilmour.

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 21:46
^Alex Lifeson and Dave Gilmour both were influential on general rock music, I think.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 22:17
id remove rothery from the original 5 and slot in latimer 
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 23:11
Hendrix influenced everyone in one way or another. Whether it was the approach to playing the instrument to how he used effects to alter it;s sound, modern rock and prog guitar starts from him. IMHO.

I think Hackett influenced many of the neo-prog guitarists, including Rothery, who came after him in terms of guitar sounds and how guitar fit into prog.. I agree that Gilmour and Lifeson influenced many main stream rock guitarists, so did Ritchie Blackmore and Jeff Beck.

In terms of influencing the way the guitar is used in prog, I think Fripp was very influential. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 23:21
For influence on rock music in general, it's probably Gilmour.   And for influence on prog rock, Fripp.  Al Di Meola is also quite popular with more contemporary guitarists, especially in prog metal.  Lifeson too.  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 00:09
John McLaughlin influenced all of 'em.  The Guv invented jazz-rock improvisation.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 01:30
Hackett and Howe are great but have had few followers. Howe followed with YES a style started by Peter Banks. Even Fripp is unique but many other guitarists tried to follow his path. Gilmour has influenced a lot of prog guitarists including Rothary.  

In terms of "general" influence, I mean in all the musical aspects I'd say Fripp, but for guitar only it's surely Gilmour.

Going back, I think the influence of George Harrison on prog music is underestimated.

Edited by octopus-4 - November 25 2012 at 01:32
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Meta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 04:42

Steve Howe is one of my favorite guitarists, but I wouldn't call him influential. His country infusion and phrasing is absolutely unique. The one aspect of his playing I hear some guitar players cop (Roine Stolt in particular) is the volume pedal violin sound, but that's pretty much it.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 09:25
Originally posted by Guitar Noir Guitar Noir wrote:

From the start of the genre in the lates 1960's up to today who do you think are the five most influential guitarists in prog rock. I am sure this will be open to a lot of debate. My five would be, in no particular order:

Steve Hackett
Steve Howe
Robert Fripp
David Gilmour
Steve Rothery

I like your list, but I would put Martin Barre instead of Steve Rothery.

I guess is a matter of personal taste, since there are a lot of great guitarists, like Ritchie Blackmore, Andy Latimer, Alex Lifeson, the one and only Jimmy Hendrix, and way too many others, who have influenced countless musicians, bands, etc. Almost impossible to say who is better than who.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 11:55
I think this is a pretty easy question for me to give the answer to. My answer is DAVID GILMORE all the way. So many guitarist that I love are very influenced by the style of GILMORE.

Gilmore deserves a lifetime achievement award in the world of prog.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 13:06
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

yeah the prog guitar influence is very strong but also very quiet, and whether you mean the influence on prog or on all guitarists --  to be honest I hear very little impact by prog guitarists on rock or pop generally, the most direct influence I can think of is Hackett's one on Eddie Van Halen and all the rock players who in turn adopted that style.  If we're talking Fusion then you have Holdsworth, McLaughlin and DiMeola all with a huge effect on other players.   As for the influence on modern prog it would have to be Fripp followed by Gilmour.

My intent was for the influence of prog guitarists on the genre of prog and other prog rock guiatrists. 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 13:17
[/QUOTE]

I like your list, but I would put Martin Barre instead of Steve Rothery.

I guess is a matter of personal taste, since there are a lot of great guitarists, like Ritchie Blackmore, Andy Latimer, Alex Lifeson, the one and only Jimmy Hendrix, and way too many others, who have influenced countless musicians, bands, etc. Almost impossible to say who is better than who.
[/QUOTE]

I must be honest, aside from the songs on classic rock radio, Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Locomatice Breath, etc. I really am not familiar with Jethro Tull's music.  That being said part of my reasoning for my 5 guitarists was based not only on my personal experiences, but also on the many articles, interviews and reviews of prog rock releases that I have read over the years.  I have heard many songs by Yes and Pink FLoyd, however, combined I own four cds by Yes and Pink Floyd, but the influence of both guiarists is clearing heard in many prog bands over the years. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 16:07
Originally posted by Meta Meta wrote:

Steve Howe is one of my favorite guitarists, but I wouldn't call him influential. His country infusion and phrasing is absolutely unique. The one aspect of his playing I hear some guitar players cop (Roine Stolt in particular) is the volume pedal violin sound, but that's pretty much it.

I spoke with Bob Fripp about the volume pedal thing, he thinks HE invented the technique!  He may well have....he said he was trying to emulate the sound of a violin.  It is a sound also widely used by Hackett and Peter Banks.

The technique probably was developed decades before, using the volume pot on the guitar itself rather than an outboard pedal.  The wah-wah pedal was inspired from an organ outboard device, which itself was inspired by the jazz trumpet technique of using a hat over the bell of a horn to generate a wah-wah sound.  

I know that Fripp was inspired by both Hendrix and Jeff Beck, and he avoided listening to much by John McLaughlin because he didn't want to be "seduced" by the music.  

The comment about George Harrison was also very good, the man is one of the most understated & under-appreciated musicians in rock.  Prog didn't just happen....it evolved with many influences.  Many cite Django Reinhardt as a particular inspiration.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 16:49
Fripp may have been amoung the first in rock to use the volume pedal swells, but I would say that Steve Hackett perfected it.

Edited by Guitar Noir - November 25 2012 at 17:37
QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 17:19
In no particular order

Steve Hackett
Robert Fripp
John McLaughlin
Andrew Latimer
David Gilmour
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 21:16
John Petrucci has been hugely influential on other progressive metal guitarists, although I'm not sure about the extent of his influence on metal in general.

Also, if we're including prog related guitarists, we have to mention Yngwie Malmsteen and Kirk Hammet, both massively influential prog related metal guitarists.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 21:18
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

John Petrucci has been hugely influential on other progressive metal guitarists, although I'm not sure about the extent of his influence on metal in general.Also, if we're including prog related guitarists, we have to mention Yngwie Malmsteen and Kirk Hammet, both massively influential prog related metal guitarists.

I think we can include Adrain Smith of Iron MADIEN as well
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 22:48
1. Steve Hackett
2. Frank Zappa
3. Robert Fripp
4. Steve Howe
5. David Gilmour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>