Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What kind of music do you improvise to and how?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of music do you improvise to and how?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:25
Yeah, like I said, keeping up with the changes takes a lot of work. On an additional note: you could keep going between different scales that could all be in the same key. You know how modal scales work. Or the scales could be in their own keys. That, or you can stick with just the same scale for a few chords, much like the jam in the middle of Magma's "Kohntarkosz, pt. 2", where the keyboardist is playing the same R-b2-b3-4-5-b7-R in Eb on top of the three repeated chords.

I'm going to try the former approach since that's where I'm stuck at. I should keep the readers updated with my solo tabs and audio files. I can already imagine myself moving between different shapes and positions of the same chord on the fretboard, playing arpeggios, passing tones, and slides.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 16 2015 at 22:28
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 01:13
Going to Guitar Center tomorrow. My plan:

- key notes - hit them: 
   = passing 1, b3, 5, and b7 (asc. / desc.) with 2nd, 4th, and 6th of the scale;
 - a unique rhythm (scat-singing, mid-tempo);
 - soloing with dyads (chords - excl. points), dyad arps, etc. 
   = will dictate the rhythm;
 - up-slides;
 - moving/sliding between shapes/positions of a chord;
 - favorite scales: pentatonic, blues, and natural minor (start with R and 5th)
   = cut away, be economical;

Tracks to improvise to:
 - Neu! - "Für Immer"
 - Wishbone Ash - "Time Was"

Start off small. Play over one or two chords. Just play the root and the fifth.
 - follow the chords (a scale/mode for every chord) - figure out the passing tones for every chord.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 24 2015 at 01:25
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 03:03
Just playin´ the blues when I pick up my guitar...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 05:51
^ Any good?
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 14:27
prog-influenced crap that i usually put in on the drum set. some heavy metal tones with the double-bass. mainly just many time signatures, some tempo changes.... organic sh*t and the usual.
Michael678
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 00:59
^ Sometimes "organic" is good; other times it isn't, I have to admit. Have you had anyone to play with or do you work out to recordings?

It is kind of sad that many of us sit in our homes playing to recordings instead of gathering with real people and playing instinctively and taking turns to create something.

================================================================

By the way, here's something I tweeted about my progress yesterday: 
Back from GC: brain's lacking O2. Learned bends 4^5(v4) and b7^1(vb7), simple passing, other tricks. Thanks, @steverothery #learningguitar
That's right: I've decided to stick with the natural minor scale. And by "other tricks" I meant:

- Asc./desc. scaling/passing; 
 - ascending-scale tone bends; 
 - Up-/down-slides of m2nd-interval dyads on two strings (just messing around); 
 - Bend-slide: bend two strings of a dyad and slide up; 
 - Strum the same note on two strings - to create a harmonic effect.

================================================================

Plan for today: make use of passing, neighboring, and maybe even changing tones, and suspensions. Also, recreate the techniques I've discovered as mentioned above.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 25 2015 at 15:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 11:31
I was influenced by a great number of guitar players. The thing is: they come from different schools and play solos in different styles: melodic crossover/soft rock, hard/blues rock, and jazz rock. So, I had to pick a street. I went with melodic crossover and technical bluesy stuff.

I've gone to the Guitar Center. Remembered how to effectively use legato (hammer-ons and pull-offs), slides, alternating slow, melodic and fast, technical phrases. I was very pleased with how things turned out. Nailed pretty much every phrase from Fripp's solo on "Night Watch", which is how I learned how to come up with melodic arpeggios.

Also, I've been keeping this text file where I keep my notes on how to jam making efficient use of the aforementioned devices and more. This is what I have so far (I'll try to keep it simple, though I do have a lot more notes):

=============================================

Basics (assuming we are playing bluesy/rocksy stuff):

- get the right guitar sound/tone:
   = preferably: high volume and gain;
 - prepare some blowing changes;
 - pick the register for soloing that's right for you (treble; 7th fret and above) ; 
 - write/remember/(learn) some melodies and technical phrases/licks that are in harmony with the changes;

---------------------------------- Jamming ----------------------------------
 - 4- or 8-bar long solo

- solo scheme (alternating melodic and technical phrases):
   = melody
   = throw in some runs and variations: scales, arpeggios, 2-(3-, 4-, w/e-)-note patterns, etc.
   = melody
   = throw in some blues licks
   = melody
   = play melodic arps (arps with notes of melody on top: passing, neighboring, changing, suspension, retardation)
   = melody
   = use tapping
   = melody
   = trills
   = melody

- recall/splice best bits:
   = from different outtakes (in different keys);

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 26 2015 at 23:52
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 11:43

Kazoo music and I use my nose... Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 12:28
^ For a moment there I was thinking "wazoo music", read "I use my nose", and couldn't put the two together.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic