Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you picture the PA charts changing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 23:36
 ^His voice makes my teeth hurt Dead
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:45
I see a split between prog and prog metal. Tongue The prog metal fans will start progmetalarchives so that will leave just the non metal prog. Don't get me wrong, I like prog metal. I like pizza and burgers too but I don't eat them at the same time.Wink
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 01:18
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^His voice makes my teeth hurt

Dead

LaBrie. You either love his voice or freaking hate it. There is no in between it seems. At least I know how you feel.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 15:18
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^His voice makes my teeth hurt

Dead

LaBrie. You either love his voice or freaking hate it. There is no in between it seems. At least I know how you feel.

That's sad ... because the majority of folks are comparing LaBrie's singing to someone else they like or have an affliction to!

It's a shame that "preferences" get in the way of the reviewing and appreciation of music ... Gentle Giant are not my favorites, but you will never ehar me not appreciate the musicianship involved and the crazy pieces they put together ... but you will never hear criticism from me.

DT is fine, and stands on its own, and probably are one of the "better" metal bands out there, prog or not-prog. I, personally appreciate their musicianship and the fact that what they did with an orchestra is very difficult to do, and requires an attention span to the details that is scary and deadly, and that 99% of us are not capable of even conceiving ... and thus spend our time considering them (or others) some kind of god-heads for this or that!

And this is what I would like to see PA do better ... be less than a "fan board" ... but I am not sure it would be as succeesful as it is now, without those folks ... small price to pay for the good things that we love, I guess!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 17:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

^His voice makes my teeth hurt Dead

That's sad ... because the majority of folks are comparing LaBrie's singing to someone else they like or have an affliction to!

It's a shame that "preferences" get in the way of the reviewing and appreciation of music ... Gentle Giant are not my favorites, but you will never ehar me not appreciate the musicianship involved and the crazy pieces they put together ... but you will never hear criticism from me.

DT is fine, and stands on its own, and probably are one of the "better" metal bands out there, prog or not-prog. I, personally appreciate their musicianship and the fact that what they did with an orchestra is very difficult to do, and
requires an attention span to the details that is scIary and deadly, and that 99% of us are not capable of even conceiving ... and thus spend our time considering them (or others) some kind of god-heads for this or that!

And this is what I would like to see PA do better ... be less than a "fan board" ... but I am not sure it would be as succeesful as it is now, without those folks ... small price to pay for the good things that we love, I guess!

Ooooooooo. Right you are Senior Pedro sir! Very nice comment here. I agree a lot for what you have said here. Nicely put.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 18:00
I have an image of some metalhead coming into the room, taking the charts, throwing them all over, and stomping on them. Wink

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2012 at 18:01
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 13:10

Geez. I wouldn't ever think of the keyboard sound in Genesis and Elp to be 'filler' as you said or for the keyboard player fuction is to act as a respirator unit for the guitar player. Respectively, Tony Banks and Keith Emerson are far too dynamic and skillful not be heard so clearly and so lovely. Gotta disagree.

Also. FYI Pedro, MYUNG plays an 8 STRING BASS. Not 5. At least not anymore.

Then, I would suggest that Jordan is not a "dynamic" musician, enough to shine more in DT. Maybe this is why the previous keyboard player was let go ... because he wanted a less metalic sound by having more keyboards on it ... and he was voted off.

Myung had Sting Ray and Bongo 4, 5 and 6 String Basses (Music Man) when I saw them last year.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 00:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Geez. I wouldn't ever think of the keyboard sound in Genesis and Elp to be 'filler' as you said or for the keyboard player fuction is to act as a respirator unit for the guitar player. Respectively, Tony Banks and Keith Emerson are far too dynamic and skillful not be heard so clearly and so lovely. Gotta disagree. Also. FYI Pedro, MYUNG plays an 8 STRING BASS. Not 5. At least not anymore.

Then, I would suggest that Jordan is not a "dynamic" musician, enough to shine more in DT. Maybe this is why the previous keyboard player was let go ... because he wanted a less metalic sound by having more keyboards on it ... and he was voted off.

Myung had Sting Ray and Bongo 4, 5 and 6 String Basses (Music Man) when I saw them last year.

How do you feel about Rudess's performance on SCENES OF A MEMORY? You cannot tell me rudess isn't wonderfully dynamic on that album.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 10:07
I think the true "progressives" will finally discover the genius of John Coltrane, Don Ellis, Ornette Coleman and Hugh Masakela and all move over to the JazzArchives site and PA will be left with only metal heads. DT, Death, Crimson Glory, Enslaved, Opeth, Savatage, Pain of Salvation, Cynic, UneXpect, Kamelot, etc. will finally have their day(s)! 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 10:19
^You got a problem there. I don't like Ornette Coleman OR Dream Theater. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 17:41
^ what problem? If you don't like either of those bands I don't have a problem with that. Each to his own. That's what I believe.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 18:20

^ what problem? If you don't like either of those bands I don't have a problem with that. Each to his own. That's what I believe.

No, it was a joke. He was talking about how all the 'smart' folks would go to JazzArchives (which I didn't know existed) and leave this place to become a prog metal love land. 
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 18:50
hehe then where would the people who just wanna discuss actual prog go?

Maybe there should just be a "ProgMetalArchives" since prog metal doesn't fit that well with real prog or real metal, at least the prog metal that is so popular on this site

Edited by Sumdeus - December 24 2012 at 18:56
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 19:37
I hope to see some prog polka rock in the near future that's for sure.
Maybe some Prog folk throat singing straight outta Mongolia - with a farfisa and some tubas thrown in for good measure.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 09:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I hope to see some prog polka rock in the near future that's for sure.
Maybe some Prog folk throat singing straight outta Mongolia - with a farfisa and some tubas thrown in for good measure.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234