Topic ClosedArcturus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arcturus
    Posted: July 24 2005 at 20:17

Anyone familiar with this band.

Norway's finest black metal, combined with operatic rock vocals, classical arrangements, but still metal. A bit comparable with Fantomas I think.

I like the Sham Mirrors the best, but Le Masquerade Infernale is also very good

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 20:19
Pretty good but... Fantomas?  I don't see it.
Pablo_P View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 03:11
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Anyone familiar with this band.

Norway's finest black metal, combined with operatic rock vocals, classical arrangements, but still metal. A bit comparable with Fantomas I think.

I like the Sham Mirrors the best, but Le Masquerade Infernale is also very good

forgive me, but I LOVE ARCTURUS!!! GREAT PROGRESSIVE BLACK METAL!!! \m/

Exactly, Sham Mirrors is great album, in my opinion even better than La Masquerade Infernale, which is cosidered as one of the most important metal album of the last decade... I also love Ulver, the second band of Garm, ex-vocalist of Arcturus

Good that someone knows Arcturus... I've heard they will release new album soon... I don't remember who is the new vocalist, but that might be interesting... It will be extremely difficult to replace Garm in the band...

Pablo P.
Coya View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 04:22

I lover Arcturus, actually, is for me the most creative (next to Emperor) black metal band of all times (at the point that they are actually considered progressive). I also like all of their albums, but I've actually heard "La Masquerade Infernale" and "Asera Hiems Simfonia"(which none of you has mentioned untill now /you should try it, it's also terrific) a little more than "Sham Mirrors".

Ulver is also a breat band, but they have had different phases in their history, now they are doing some electronic music. And Ulver is not the second band of Garm, Pablo_P, it's actually the first, and older than Arcturus; Arcturus began as a side project, in which Garm joined, and later, left. The new vocalist is going to be: Simen "Vortex" Hestnęs, he's played in a few bands already, but I know him from Borknagar, in the album "Quintessence". If you want to listen some of his clean singing, hear to the song "Colossus" from that album, that will give you an idea, he's pretty good. And they are going to release a new opus on september!!

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 06:52

"Le Masquerade Infernale" is a very good album indeed, not the least because the drumming is courtesy of Hellhammer, of Mayhem (ill)fame

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 17:52
Great band, can't wait for the new one. Heard one song already, which sounded way cool.
BlackWinterDay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 18:22

Yes, great band. All three of their albums are great, but I prefer LMI.

Ulver, Garm's original band, released perhaps the best folk/black metal album of all time, "Bergtatt".

Simen Hestnaes, the new Arcturus vocalist, actuall sang on some tracks on LMI. He was also the vocalist who replaced Garm in the "other" supergroup, Borknagar before going to the more-economically-viable Dimmu Borgir. Weird how those Norwegians are like one big, incestuous family!

ulver982 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 22:24
Anyone heard Ulver's new album Blood Inside yet?  It does take a bit to get used to, but very different and very good!  If you can, listen to the song, Christmas. As you can see, I'm an ulver fan..from their very first album Bergtatt to their latest material..all great!
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.
BlackWinterDay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 23:48
Yes, it's excellent and, once again, different from anything else they've ever done. I enjoyec seeing Garm return to the mic... he too good of a vocalist to be banished in the realm of instrumental soundtrack music (LT and SN being the two least-necessary Ulver albums).
richeym View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 07:31
Arcturus and Ulver are 2 of my favourite bands.
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 01:21
Bump.

I've just recently discovered The Sham Mirrors and I can safely say I'm blown away.  Whether it's progressive metal or not is open to discussion, I really don't care.  The plain and simple fact is that they're a very creative and talented band doing something new in the extremely stale world of modern black metal. 

I hear they have a new album coming out in '05, does anyone know who the vocalist is for said release?  I know that Garm left the band and that Oyvind Haegeland from Spiral Architect was initially billed as his replacement, but that he left and has since been replaced by Simen Hestnęs (ICS Vortex) from Dimmu Borgir.  Who was around for the recording of the album?
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 01:49
I love Arcturus! They're one of my favourite prog metal bands and I'm confident in saying that Aspera Hiems Symfonia is one of the best black metal releases ever (and that's A LOT from me, I'm a huge black metal fan). Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg is like a living legend to me, as I'm also a huge fan of his other bands, Ulver and Borknagar (he sang on the first 2 albums).

Edited by Logos
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 01:52
Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

I hear they have a new album coming out in '05, does anyone know who
the vocalist is for said release?  I know that Garm left the band
and that Oyvind Haegeland from Spiral Architect was initially billed as his replacement, but that he left and has since been replaced by Simen Hestnęs (ICS Vortex) from Dimmu Borgir.  Who was around for the recording of the album?

ICS Vortex will be handling the vocals.

He is actually a very good singer (although Dimmu Borgir is not a good band ) , you can hear him on Borknagar's third and fourth albums too.
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 01:57
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

I hear they have a new album coming out in '05, does anyone know who
the vocalist is for said release?  I know that Garm left the band
and that Oyvind Haegeland from Spiral Architect was initially billed as his replacement, but that he left and has since been replaced by Simen Hestnęs (ICS Vortex) from Dimmu Borgir.  Who was around for the recording of the album?

ICS Vortex will be handling the vocals.

He is actually a very good singer (although Dimmu Borgir is not a good band ) , you can hear him on Borknagar's third and fourth albums too.

I actually like Dimmu (albeit as a guilty pleasure) and I love the clear vocals on their albums.  I look forward to hearing this (although it would also have been quite interesting to hear them fronted by Oyvind).
Pseud0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 03:47
Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

Anyone heard Ulver's new album Blood Inside yet?  It does take a bit to get used to, but very different and very good!  If you can, listen to the song, Christmas. As you can see, I'm an ulver fan..from their very first album Bergtatt to their latest material..all great!

my second favorite album right now
 Post Reply Post Reply