Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Increase required content for home page publishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIncrease required content for home page publishing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increase required content for home page publishing
    Posted: December 21 2012 at 14:49
I am not one who is big on wordiness. I like information that is pragmatic and to the point. That being said, I see a lot of junky 100 word reviews roll across the front page. I'm not saying that there are not some really good reviews in the 100-150 word range, but the chance for abuse decreases if there is more work involved. I have no problem with whatever someone wants to write as it appears on the album page. But the home page is the face of the site and should be a held to a higher standard. I wouldn't propose a front page review screening committee. That would leave reviews subjected to another persons qualitative criteria. Increase the front page requirement to 250 or 300 words.

This cannot have been the first suggestion of this sort.

Edited by Tapfret - December 21 2012 at 14:49
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 15:07
^ I think it's a bad idea. 
If the standard for reviews is no less than 150 words, it's OK and it should be shown on the front page. That's how PA works all these years.

Better thing in my opinion is to change the option "Last 50 reviews" to "Last 100 reviews" (or another reasonable amount).

Edited by NotAProghead - December 21 2012 at 15:07
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 15:31
My home has a few requirements. I like having a toilet. It is important to have a toilet, maybe 2 or 3. They serve a purpose. I have a front yard. People that don't know me see my front yard and that is their first perception of what kind of person I am. Despite how important my toilet is, I do not put it in the front yard.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 07:38
^ You can put everything in your front yard for people to see - big or small heaps of gold or sh*t. Longer not necessarily means better.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 07:51
No so true
Would be more into limiting how long they can be. In some (few) cases, reviews have been horriable long, making them into novels, rather than reviews.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 17:57
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

No so true
Would be more into limiting how long they can be. In some (few) cases, reviews have been horriable long, making them into novels, rather than reviews.

I have to agree with both Tamijo and NotAProgHead here.

When I read a music review, I want to know if the album will appeal to me and my taste. I personally tend to focus more on instrumentals and want to get a feel for the music from the reviewer in words, so instead of telling me an album is epic, the singer is good, the lyrics well written etc I need more description because that says nothing to me. Capsule reviews are good too, don’t get me wrong and have their purpose.

Certainly, not every album is worth reading a whole thesis about it. Sometimes an overview of what the album is enough to give you a sense about it, especially if all the tracks are similar and melodic in composition (as I said I don’t focus on lyrics and often on those can’t tell the tracks apart) however to write a short review is very hard because the reviewer must be articulate enough and witty plus poetic to be able to sum up what I could expect from an album and if it’s enough for me to become interested and excited to pursue further.

Sometimes an album has many tracks, too eclectic in terms of tracks variety and summing it up simply does not do it justice (unless many other long descriptive reviews are available) nor is it enough, I want to know more about the different tracks in order to get a feel and mood of the music, the instrumentals, the highs and lows, references etc etc.

Ok, enough waffling on my behalf, sorry.

My personal hypothesis: both are necessary and should equally be available, thus left to the reader/potential buyer to choose which he/she prefers to read.

Edited by Kati - December 23 2012 at 18:02
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 19:17
P.S. I am not a musician nor a reviewer btw Big smile all I am is a friendly and happy moozik enthousiast.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 02:57
100 is perhaps a bit short but length does not guarantee quality. Another idea:

For Collaborators, the "title" (Prog Reviewer, Special Collaborator etc) is mentioned below the username. However for non-Collabs nothing is mentioned to give you some feel for what "level" that member is.

I tend to think that poor reviews are usually by newbies or members who have reviewed very few albums, perhaps they just review some particular album to trash it or to praise it and nothing else. People who take reviewing seriously and have reviewed many albums tend to write better reviews.

In the forum we can see the "level" of each user (Newbie, Groupie, Senior Member etc) and a ranking of Stars, this gives an idea of how committed the user is to the site and the forum.

If a similar "user level profile" (seniority level + stars based on his/her number of reviews) was shown below the username in the review, it would give an idea how seriously that review can be taken or how reliable it is.

It does not guarantee quality either, the first review by a Newbie can be excellent and the 500th review by a senior user can be crap, but it would help readers putting that review in some perspective.

I think it has also been suggested to have a "rate this review" function by which readers could rate the quality of reviews, so reviewers would gradually get a ranking for "how good a reviewer they are" based on number of reviews + average rating of their reviews. Such a "reviewer rating by the readers" could also provide a useful "reliability factor" for reviews, and would reward the commitment and quality of the reviewers, I'm sure some reviewers would really get competitive in order to get the title of "best reviewer" Smile

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 22:23
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

100 is perhaps a bit short but length does not guarantee quality. Another idea:

For Collaborators, the "title" (Prog Reviewer, Special Collaborator etc) is mentioned below the username. However for non-Collabs nothing is mentioned to give you some feel for what "level" that member is.

I tend to think that poor reviews are usually by newbies or members who have reviewed very few albums, perhaps they just review some particular album to trash it or to praise it and nothing else. People who take reviewing seriously and have reviewed many albums tend to write better reviews.

In the forum we can see the "level" of each user (Newbie, Groupie, Senior Member etc) and a ranking of Stars, this gives an idea of how committed the user is to the site and the forum.

If a similar "user level profile" (seniority level + stars based on his/her number of reviews) was shown below the username in the review, it would give an idea how seriously that review can be taken or how reliable it is.

It does not guarantee quality either, the first review by a Newbie can be excellent and the 500th review by a senior user can be crap, but it would help readers putting that review in some perspective.

I think it has also been suggested to have a "rate this review" function by which readers could rate the quality of reviews, so reviewers would gradually get a ranking for "how good a reviewer they are" based on number of reviews + average rating of their reviews. Such a "reviewer rating by the readers" could also provide a useful "reliability factor" for reviews, and would reward the commitment and quality of the reviewers, I'm sure some reviewers would really get competitive in order to get the title of "best reviewer" Smile

Ermm I second everything Gerinsk said too!!! Big smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 10:03
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ You can put everything in your front yard for people to see - big or small heaps of gold or sh*t. Longer not necessarily means better.

I also second what NotAProghead said yes sometimes less is more and has more impact, not always tho' this is why we need diversity Approve
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 13:59
The limit used to be less. I'm not sure about exact number, but it wasn't counted in words, but in characters (which makes more sense to me by the way - English has a lot of short words - articles which counts as proper words in this system).

What was the limit, 200 characters ? 300 chars ?
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply