Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTwo "DSAs"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Should the USA divide peacefully into two countries?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [66.67%]
6 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 16:28
Might need more than 2.

But lets roll the dice.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 20:47
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I find it interesting that there are 8 no votes.  Are those American votes or international.  Because here in America, I can only imagine that the conservatives would love to get rid of us liberals, and we liberals would love to get rid of the conservatives.  The only way to do that peaceably, which I would hope would be the preferred method for all, would be to divide the US into two.  
I don't know about that, I don't want to get rid of conservatives--  oh maybe some conservatives, but not as a whole.   They tend to be smart people with strong views, and that's usually a good thing.  Also do we really want everyone to always agree?   I do not.

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 20:50
I don't want to start a separate poll-

But suppose I had asked this:

Should the US dissolve into fifty countries, each state it's own sovereign nation?

Has a central government outlived its purpose?

Edited by Epignosis - January 01 2013 at 20:51
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 20:58
^ Well when you put it that way; No.   I've seen the wonder on an immigrant's face - particularly someone from, say, Israel, but really almost any continent - when they realize they won't be stopped at a state border, won't need papers or be searched.   They know it but until they actual travel state-to-state, it isn't real to them, they can't comprehend how a nation could be made up of smaller states in such a fluid, relaxed, pan-cultural way.   Plus I'd hate to waste the sacrifice of all those Union soldiers.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 23:13
^But it doesn't really feel like you're changing much when you move from state to state. That wonder you express would be felt by that Israel citizen in Europe much more than here, where there's still much in common between the states, the people that live in them, their culture, the laws, and the sense of an overpowering government ruling them all. In Europe it's actually incredible when you change from country to country without passports or visas, even though in that unnatural union everything but the currency changes once you cross borders. 

On the question, yes, no problem with 50 states. As long as they allow me to claim citizenship from one other than FL

Edited by The T - January 01 2013 at 23:14
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 18:03
Before splitting the USA into 2, 3, 15, 50, 100... states, don't forget to give back New Orleans to France.
I mean, come on, guys, this city was fine when we sold it to you. What the hell have you done with it over the last two centuries???
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 19:15
^Only if you can pay the 22 billion dollars to Haiti for the colonial brutalization.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 20:24
WHAT?!? There are hundreds of bands from USA listed in PA database. We'll have to assign a new country for each of them!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 20:33
618,000 Americans died in the Civil War. I would like to think their sacrifices, on both sides, puts the current pettiness, bickering  and selfishness into perspective. So, no, splitting the U.S. in two is a fairly asinine proposition. I think, when it comes down to it, more people care about the 'United' in United States than splitting the country up into red and blue states, or making each state independent, or making each individual a state. Split up the country and the hyenas will come from elsewhere to pick at the bones.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 20:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

618,000 Americans died in the Civil War. I would like to think their sacrifices, on both sides, puts the current pettiness, bickering  and selfishness into perspective. So, no, splitting the U.S. in two is a fairly asinine proposition. I think, when it comes down to it, more people care about the 'United' in United States than splitting the country up into red and blue states, or making each state independent, or making each individual a state. Split up the country and the hyenas will come from elsewhere to pick at the bones.

You "would like to think."

But does it?  What if the current "bickering" led to a greater war?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 22:49
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

You "would like to think."

But does it?  What if the current "bickering" led to a greater war?

Who exactly would you fight, Epi? Your neighbor? The democrat who has gone to church faithfully for 30 or 40 years? Would you kill a poor family subsisting on food stamps down to the last child for your "beliefs"? Are you going to commit genocide on blacks and Hispanics because, you know, they historically vote a certain way?

And these two states, how exactly will you break them down? I suggest you read up on the partition of India and Pakistan for some brutal highlights of what happens when millions of people are expatriated from their homes and sent somewhere else because they are "different". Are you ready to be kicked out of your home and be sent to the other side of the country if that's where your contingent of fanatics live? Are you ready for you and your kids to spend some time in a concentration camp if you get caught behind the line?

No, I've read too much of Polish ghettos and Serbian ethnic-cleansing to want any part of what you suggest. There is no splitting up the U.S.peaceably into two separate states. It would be a sad day for all of us...
And death will follow.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 02 2013 at 22:50
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 23:15
But Dark Elf, haven't these type of massacres occured precisely because groups that were very homogeneous wanted to break free from others that were, according to them, different? The problem lies not in a powerful government bonding things together by force but in people being people, being sectarian, thinking as a group and de-individualizing the other, and that is, as we have seen, an unstoppable force that caused world wars (let's remember how the first one, which caused the second one, started) and massacres like those in Serbia or Rwanda. I don't see violence occurring in a hypothetical US partition because of the prevailing culture here, the division and the problems might have an economic basis but not a deep racial/ethnic/cultural one. After all, with clear differences, the people living in the US still somewhat share common cultural factors. When groups have been put together that utterly hated each other from the start, time has led, without exceptions, to an explosion of hate and death. I don't see that happening in the US if sovereign states decide to secede one day. What could be worse is if the people reach a point where they actually WANT to part ways and they are forced to stay together. Then you are just preparing the cauldron...
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 17:14
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

WHAT?!? There are hundreds of bands from USA listed in PA database. We'll have to assign a new country for each of them!

Well, as long as it doesn't lead to new regional subgenres: NY Sympho Prog; LA RIO; Chicago Post-Rock; and so on...
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 17:54
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Well, as long as it doesn't lead to new regional subgenres: NY Sympho Prog; LA RIO; Chicago Post-Rock; and so on...
Arizonean Tex-Mex Aztec NarcoProg
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 19:27
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I don't want to start a separate poll-

But suppose I had asked this:

Should the US dissolve into fifty countries, each state it's own sovereign nation?

Has a central government outlived its purpose?

It feels like it already. Might as well (though somewhere between 2 and 50 would probably be better)

And, no. IMO it has not.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 19:47
If you look back through our country's history, we have always had division. But that's one of the reasons the founding fathers went through all the trouble to do what they did. We have a government where all voices are heard and we talk things out to the extreme to try to ensure that as many are pleased as possible with the end  result.

We are not always entirely successful and probably never will be. We have made some horrible mistakes. Slavery, the unfair treatment of certain segments of our population, the treatment of Native Americans, our dabbling and sometimes downright interfering in the affairs of other nations etc. But overall we have have done a damned good job of building this country into a place where people from around the world still want to come and live and we did it as one nation.

We have tried splitting and we all know the result and we are still paying for it. If we survive, we will do it as one country. We have a lot of problems but we have come a long way in a very short time and growing pains are inevitable. The United States of America at this point is but a short paragraph in the history of humanity.  I say we all sink or swim together.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 21:49
We don't need to divide into two seperate nations (would be a more fractured break if there is one), we just need to repeal the 17th amendment so that states can regain their seat at the table in DC.

Time always wins.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 23:17
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

We don't need to divide into two seperate nations (would be a more fractured break if there is one), we just need to repeal the 17th amendment so that states can regain their seat at the table in DC.

I'm all for states rights and representation, but I think that letting politicians elect other politicians is just a recipe for disaster.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 00:02
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

I'm all for states rights and representation, but I think that letting politicians elect other politicians is just a recipe for disaster.

As opposed to all the success we've had with direct election by popular vote?  Local/state government's only tie to the federal government is that of a neutered dog on it's master's leash.

Here's an idea: one country for the politicians and bureaucrats and one for the people.  That's a seperation I can get behind.

Time always wins.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 01:06
Yeah, good idea. Divide and conquer. Or should I say, divide and wait for the conqueror. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>