Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow is Prog received where you live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 14:04
Originally posted by elyougo elyougo wrote:

I live in France, play in La Théorie des Cordes a Jazz Rock Prog band and we are received like s*** by the concert halls and festivals..
What's paradoxal is (because we still keep on playing in the streets like pirates..) the audience love it!! Either melomanes or newbies, kids or adults or grandpas, everyone loves it, but the official gigs are very rare.. I'm starting to be annoyed here..

We've been looking for a manager for so long (3 years) and i'm desperate, I feel like searching for the f***** sacred graal here..

Is it that disgusting no one can offer us proper life and gig conditions?? hell.. >> www.latheoriedescordes.com

Even Gong or Magma or Jack Dupon don't have a proper audience and venues in France!!! Miserable..

Cheers..

ARTAUD

My sister, is a fairly well respected "artiste" and lives in Paris ... and she was "fed up" with it and bought a ticket for 6 months and came here to the US and enjoyed her time off. She was not able to find work here, and most of the academic work was not interested, and the one chance in Eugene, went awry ... they hired the local girl ... not an artist! She went back to Paris, and she wrote me thanking for being able to stay here for a while and gain some perspective. She is feeling better already she says and things in Paris are much better than they were here, where they don't believe in the arts!

Suggestion ... get mixed up with painters, writers and other aritsts and make a group that starts getting attention for various reason ... and before you know it ... you have a chance.

All the groups, here in Portland get to play the bars and the lousy venues ... and the high schools around here are too stupid to rent their hall one night per month and make some easy money!

Make sure you make your point ... if you believe in the music, the venue is not an issue ... and you can always create a fake movie with an audience on a stage and no one will ever know! That would give you tube some fun!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 14:14
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

In South Florida you basically can't escape prog. There are billboards everywhere advertising the latest Yes and Dream Theater, streets are named after Genesis albums, FL radio stations appear to have nothing but Can and Zappa in their catalogue, people discuss prog while having breakfast and dinner, Steven Wilson runs second only to Obama in popularity contests in the urban areas, public schools have Prog 101 as subject. I mean, S FL IS prog. You can't get any proggier than that. Which is unfair to the dozens of pop, reggaetton and rap artists that want to carve a niche for themselves in this very selective market.

I always wondered where the beach locations were for the "Girls Gone Prog" videos. Mystery solved.
elyougo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 14:34
Quote My sister, is a fairly well respected "artiste" and lives in Paris ... and she was "fed up" with it and bought a ticket for 6 months and came here to the US and enjoyed her time off. She was not able to find work here, and most of the academic work was not interested, and the one chance in Eugene, went awry ... they hired the local girl ... not an artist! She went back to Paris, and she wrote me thanking for being able to stay here for a while and gain some perspective. She is feeling better already she says and things in Paris are much better than they were here, where they don't believe in the arts!

Suggestion ... get mixed up with painters, writers and other aritsts and make a group that starts getting attention for various reason ... and before you know it ... you have a chance.

All the groups, here in Portland get to play the bars and the lousy venues ... and the high schools around here are too stupid to rent their hall one night per month and make some easy money!

Make sure you make your point ... if you believe in the music, the venue is not an issue ... and you can always create a fake movie with an audience on a stage and no one will ever know! That would give you tube some fun!

I get your point, I still think being a profound musician/artist takes a monk's life.. Even if rock'n'roll style sounds appealing, lets face it, i sure don't want our integrity to be violated by records companies..
The message, the path and the ears are here, just on the streets, so we pick them up..
Long perseverance ways but truly. 
(i sell sextoys on the side to bring food on the table to my fellow band companions..)Approve

Edited by elyougo - January 05 2013 at 14:39
LTDC - penetrates your mind
www.latheoriedescordes.com
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 14:36
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

In South Florida you basically can't escape prog. There are billboards everywhere advertising the latest Yes and Dream Theater, streets are named after Genesis albums, FL radio stations appear to have nothing but Can and Zappa in their catalogue, people discuss prog while having breakfast and dinner, Steven Wilson runs second only to Obama in popularity contests in the urban areas, public schools have Prog 101 as subject. I mean, S FL IS prog. You can't get any proggier than that. Which is unfair to the dozens of pop, reggaetton and rap artists that want to carve a niche for themselves in this very selective market.

I am surprise about that. Maybe i should go live there for the rest of my life. During my trips to this state i have never heard radio stations play any prog, only classic rock and some big prog bands, occasionally. If it's the case, i think that it's fair that prog has more recognition then rap or pop.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 14:58
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Prog? What? Here's its Celine Dion, Lady Gaga, The new stars of Reality TV and tribute bands that plays Pink Floyd....

That is the same the world over. It's called popular cultureWink
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 15:10
just like pretty much everywhere else prog is pretty under the radar here but there's a decent amount of prog fans around... enough at least that one of my buddies used to have a "prog club" where we'd meet up once a week and listen to an album and discuss it, although we quickly realized that it was just like 4 or 5 actual prog fans and like 10 people coming to get stoned and comment on how strange the music is. ah well, such is life.
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 19:04
^ Is it just me who finds it ironic that the potheads don't dig prog?
ProgEpics View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 19:30
In south ga you can expect country music and southern rock. 
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 19:59
I live in the Philadelphia PA area(in the US)and there is much talk about how huge prog is around here but I personally don't see it much. I would say in the nostaligia sense it's probably true but I don't see much of a scene and if you were to ask people what newer prog bands they know of or like you would probably get funny looks(then again you'd probably get funny looks if you just said prog). I think that the fans around here are hardcore and vocal and online there seems to be a lot of fans from PA and NJ but in reality it's not really the case so much. The internet has a way of giving us a false sense of reality.  I don't really think prog is significantly bigger in some places than in others proportionally speaking. In other words there will always be more prog fans in bigger cities because there's more people. That said, I suppose if any one city in the US MIGHT stand out as being a prog town it could possibly be Philadelphia PA mainly because of it's history with CLASSIC prog music namely Yes and Genesis.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 20:18
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

[QUOTE=JesusisLord] In Hawaii ? Are you kidding ? Hula Prog ? Reggae Prog? Ukelele Prog ? 

You know, I would love to hear that.  I have recently dabbled in ukelele after decades of guitar and find it quite a versatile instrument.  If Jake Shimabukuro can do the things he does on a uke so can others do similar things with similar training.  It is a matter of taking the instrument seriously..........

Problem is i can't take the Uke seriously..... Jake is talented but when I hear the Uke it will always sound like 
a toy guitar to me
We just need to go electric with 'em and layer in lots of sound tones and effects.  Electric Ukes exist - I saw Roy Wood play one on television many years ago and witnessed Led Kaapana play one.  They both looked like miniature strats.  If you haven't seen Led Kaapana play Killing Me Softly on an electric ukelele, you haven't seen anything.  Wink
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
elyougo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 21:21
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Actually when we played in some festivals crackheads bought our CD's instead of dope!! Sleepy same effect!!
does that make us dealers...? Disapprove
LTDC - penetrates your mind
www.latheoriedescordes.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 04:04
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

We just need to go electric with 'em and layer in lots of sound tones and effects.  Electric Ukes exist - I saw Roy Wood play one on television many years ago and witnessed Led Kaapana play one.  They both looked like miniature strats.  If you haven't seen Led Kaapana play Killing Me Softly on an electric ukelele, you haven't seen anything.  Wink
I'm not very fond of Uke as a main instrument but it can be nice to add some nuances here and there, as Brian May did in some Queen songs.
I believe that he had an electrified one, I have some video somewhere where he played it live for a few bars, I think it was on Bring Back That Leroy Brown, from around '74.
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 04:05

But I'm a pothead and I love prog. and to clarify, everyone at those prog clubs was a pothead. I just mean a lot of people came by just for the toking and didn't care much about the music. It did rub off on some though. For instance one of my friends mainly listens to EDM and ska and knew nothing about prog at all but now he is familiar enough with some of the big bands that he would know what people were talking about in a conversation about King Crimson or Yes or Genesis
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 04:09
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I'm not very fond of Uke as a main instrument but it can be nice to add some nuances here and there, as Brian May did in some Queen songs.
I believe that he had an electrified one, I have some video somewhere where he played it live for a few bars, I think it was on Bring Back That Leroy Brown, from around '74.
Correction, it was a miked acoustic Uke-banjo

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 10:34
Where I live it is not received at all with the exception of a 20 year old who works the rodeo in Cowtown with his middle age mother who grew up on King Crimson and Steve Hackett. This young man tells me that he has drawn the conclusion that there is something seriously wrong with his generation and a majority of music played on radio , internet and T.V. and that he would like to change it. Good luck kid!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 11:28
We have a 5,000 persons strong and faithful community (11 millions in Lima).

But most of us are aging already.

Iván

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 11:47
With a bottle of Chianti, a steaming foot rub and the odd perverse compliment...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 11:54
^ ... which is ... ?
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 11:57
some time ago we had the pROCKclub and pROCKfest here in East-Westphalia, I could enjoy many bands playing nearby my hometown - unfortunately though it was a financial desaster for the organizer in the end and he had to quit  Unhappy

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 12:03

^ ... which is ... ?

..the way prog is received where I live....
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>