Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow is Prog received where you live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 03:10
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Because i can't understand how you can enjoy passionately music that gets forgotten after a few years, and that people listen in their radio almost by accident. They're something stronger in the progressive rock music that you can enjoy for a longer period of times. I don't want say that people who enjoy only pop music are stupid, but that music is not very important in their life.

I'd strongly dispute the notion that they do in fact forget their favourite songs from few years ago.  If anything, they associate it with nostalgic memories just like any other music listener.   It is more profitable for the industry to promote new singles so they don't try too hard to revive the works of old artists.   Even so, several pop artists from the 60s, 70s and 80s are well remembered to this day, just not all of them. 

Maybe it's not forgotten, i have myself not forgotten my old favorite pop songs from the 80's, but i don't listen to it anymore with real pleasure, which is not the case with my favorite Genesis's material that i still enjoy today.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 12:07
Talk about outer worldly! In Calgary, Alberta, its all about country music, cowboys, stampede, oil and gas, beef and mountains! Prog is like a guilty rare pleasure, especially as I listen only to prog, while driving, shopping etc... 
If  THEY only knew !  CoolLOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 01:22
It isn't (received).  I'm a 'weirdo' that listens to 'strange music', therefore an 'oddity'.  Ridiculed by many for my 'skewed' music tastes.  Mentioning names like VDGG, Ozrics, Caravan, Flied Egg, Kayak (for example), the response is usually like "Hello, I must be going"...................or "Don't you listen to any 'normal' music ??"..........
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 01:35
I might have mentioned this one on the forum before: upon hearing Florian Fricke's piano work on "Ah!" (that one descending multi-chord run) from Popol Vuh's Hosianna Mantra, my mother called it "music for crazy people".
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 01:58
another thing for me is although i have lots of friends who are like myself hardcore Caridiacs fans - who are and always will be my fave band ever- no one in my town shares this love.......so it can be difficult when the conversation of music comes up.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 20:33
I live in NYC and in the hipster West Village neighborhood I live in---I don't think people know what prog isLOL---but prog groups do pass thru here on tours--but I think the suburbs, like CT, upstate Hudson Valley, NY, Long Island---has more fans.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 08:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It isn't (received).  I'm a 'weirdo' that listens to 'strange music', therefore an 'oddity'.  Ridiculed by many for my 'skewed' music tastes.  Mentioning names like VDGG, Ozrics, Caravan, Flied Egg, Kayak (for example), the response is usually like "Hello, I must be going"...................or "Don't you listen to any 'normal' music ??"..........

I think it is quite backwards for people in general to react that way. With all the garbage released today and these people are making negative comments about underground prog music from the 70's? These types are too stupied and ignorant to simply accept prog as a style of music that has a cult following and a history of interest from those in the world that personally like it. Some of these types are so ignorant that they can't understand or conceive facts. Instead they persist on a mission to single out anyone that finds the music interesting and further making shrude and insulting but annoying (sometimes funny), remarks that are judgements. They apply the same old methods of making a person feel less about themselves with insults ...and from various viewpoints of the music. The cheesy synth, Dracula's mellotron, the drummer plays too fast and can't play a normal beat, Take in to account that they are stating that he can't and not won't. If they were to meet Dave Stewart ..thay would insult him and he would just find it laughable. Prog or rock journalists are annoying and sometimes insulting enough , but crap like this you just have to let it roll off your shoulders. It's bad enough that Ian Anderson has to hear about Aqualung when he is interviewed or tours and although a nice collection of songs it might be, he probably grew tired of journalists who failed to inquire about some his more epic works of melodic complexity.

These people you are making reference to should travel in a time machine back to the 70's and observe theatres and clubs packed with hundreds and thousands of kids who just spent 75 percent of their paycheck to see prog. Their version of normal music is based on a specific concept of songwriting. You have to have a hook, a progression that follows the hook in a clever but catchy way, if the subject matter in the lyrical content is appealing to folks than there must be a line of the lyric that will stick in people's minds. "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "Stone In Love" or "God Save the Queen". Underground prog of the 70's was part stylistically based on how a writer proceeds to compose a musical. Zappa's 200 Motels was a progressive rock musical. "Contrasong" by Egg sounds like it belongs in a musical. Obviously you must  have the talent and ability along with some contrived ideas such as selecting the specific melody line and lyric for your audience to relate with in a pop song, but your ideology about music is deeper and more complex as you would think they might use a percentage of their brain and go the distance. Elvis has just left the building.  
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 00:37
As far as my immediate experience goes, it's not.
progbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 14:14
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

In Hawaii ? Are you kidding ? Hula Prog ? Reggae Prog? Ukelele Prog ? 

"These Trails" from 1973 is a highly enjoyable album (partly prog) from Hawaii.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 07:45
In the North west of England, and Manchester, Prog would still be a minority musical taste - when I was at school - I suppose there wer probably 3 or 4 people per 300 who were developing their prog-sense....When I went to college that number probably grew six fold.........Prog rock has always had a big following at university level education.....Maybe it takes a mature mind to take in prog who knows....
terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 01:06
I am from Thailand, a small middle income country in Southeast Asia. We do have a (limited) number of prog fans here. There's a facebook group for fans of 'Progressive and Power Metal' that have 190 members out of 65M population. Looking at the postings around 70% are there for the Power Metal part,  20% are serious music fans that love everything, and 10% perhaps are more progheads than metals.

DT comes here regularly. Mono is coming quite soon. Metallica and some German power bands are pretty big here. 

In record stores, you can get some big classics like Beatles, Queens, the Who, DT, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Muse, some Pink Floyd stuff, guitar heroes like Vai, Satch, etc. If you look hard enough you'll find latest Sigur Ros, Kate Bush, Decemberists, Alan Parsons, Yes (best of albums), Kansas (Best of), Eric Johnson (not prog but i like him). I could go on, but the importantly you need to look 'hard enough'.

Edited by terryl - January 31 2013 at 01:08
And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 02:49
Nashville is a dumpster-fire of country music and hipster singer-songwriter types. I am the lighthouse keeper...
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 04:32
^ You probably don't want ringer-wrongwriters and country hoosies hear you say that.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 07:10
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Nashville is a dumpster-fire of country music and hipster singer-songwriter types. I am the lighthouse keeper...
Well at least you've got Neal Morse don't you? Wink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 07:14
We've had a Genesis tribute band (Los Endos) playing at our local theatre and they sold out. Apart from that and Tinyfish playing in Southend, I don't think prog exists in Essex.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 07:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I don't think prog exists in Essex.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 09:19
LOL
I'm going to hold the next Prog curry in Hornchurch, that'll teach you all.

* evil laugh *

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 09:29
Oops, wrong thread Embarrassed
What?
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 12:25

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ You probably don't want ringer-wrongwriters and country hoosies hear you say that.

Ha good point. I may have let thoughts like that slip in public once or twice with friends. Usually those types are too drunk to do anything about it, which is good because it'd be like trying to fight off Tarkus. Confused

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Well at least you've got Neal Morse don't you? Wink

It's like looking for a needle in the world's biggest country farm haystack lol

Edited by Neo-Romantic - February 05 2013 at 12:28
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 14:29
eek - country music...........Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>