This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson vs Frank Zappa vs Steely Dan
    Posted: May 02 2013 at 04:20
The things that pass for prog, I can't understand...

The Dan are talented, whereas KC and Zappa are genius (no individual in Crimson is a genius, but the group is... well, I suppose Fripp might be).
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 13:25
I've only listened to a handful of Zappa albums, but I'm always puzzled when I hear him described as the most innovative or most avant-garde rock musician (both of which I've heard multiple times).  He's a phenomenal musician and composer, but frankly I think these people either don't listen to a very wide range of music or don't realize that a somewhat avant-garde musician being popular does not automatically make him the most original.

Edited by Earendil - April 28 2013 at 22:56
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 10:46
I like Frank Zappa a lot, but probably like many people who have heard much of his body of
work, I get a little put off by some of his vulgarity.  It's not just like he jokes around on the more
popular humor songs, but he really goes off the deep end.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 07:28
Smile  This is a very tough choice, because KIng Crimson and Steely Dan are probably my two favorite bands in the world!  I have a ton of respect for Frank Zappa based on what others have said.  I just haven't listened to a lot of his music.  There's so much of it it's difficult to know where to start.  I think "progressiveness", the framework for this site, should be based on creativity, innovation, and combining musical elements that aren't normally combined.  By these criteria, I think Steely Dan, as brilliant as they are, fall a little short of the other two acts.  By the aforementioned criteria, I think Zappa would have to get the top spot.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 17:55
Fripp vs Zappa as composer/band leader/guitarist.  Both created monstrously envelope-pushing music with some amazing sidemen/bandmates.  I love Zappa but my vote goes to Crimson.
Phillips View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 17:35
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

I've always thought Frank Zappa doesn't belong on this site
....have you actually listened to Hot Rats?

And waka jawaka, and the grand wazoo...
BMANCAUS View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 21:52
Comparing FZ, KC, And Steely Dan is like comparing burning man to Bonaroo. No comparison.  Any band from the 60s or 70s was unique. Any mainstream stuff now days is all BS. Its all a matter what you like at the time. If want want Sexy its all Steely, If I want Funky Jazzy, Crimson and if I want all around super hareder than all of it to play and yes I do play. ZAPPA...
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 12:58

On an enjoyment level, KC and Zappa are tied for me considering they're both in my top 10 of all time. I really like Steely Dan though.

Most innovative? Zappa, though KC really did push some serious limits at their peak.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
wehpanzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 11:09
If I want to listen to something that makes me feel upbeat, young and lusting for college again, I'll go with Steely Dan

If I want to listen to something that makes me dream and travel to exotic places and times in my mind, I'll go with King Crimson.

If I want to listen to something that challenges me, makes me think and shake my head in amazement or dismay, I'll go with Zappa.

Sometimes you want apples. Sometimes you want oranges. And sometimes you want grapes..

I couldn't have said it better.
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 11:20
LOVE this poll
How someone picked three artists whose complete
discographies I have is beyond belief
Needless to say that makes this a hard choice so I'll give the Dan a boost
Third World Man has actually moved me to tears
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 23:02
Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

this is like comparing apples to oranges to grapes...
If I want to listen to something that makes me feel upbeat, young and lusting for college again, I'll go with Steely Dan
If I want to listen to something that makes me dream and travel to exotic places and times in my mind, I'll go with King Crimson.
If I want to listen to something that challenges me, makes me think and shake my head in amazement or dismay, I'll go with Zappa.
Sometimes you want apples. Sometimes you want oranges. And sometimes you want grapes..
aldri7

I'll go along with this.
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 22:58
this is like comparing apples to oranges to grapes...

EDIT: and Steely Dan is fusion with an asterix. :)  I mean, thats where they can be found here, but to me its more crossover prog. I think its the way they incorporate jazz into their music. They pay homages to it with a little intro, lick, progression or theme here and there, but its kind for adding color to their music, not a basic component of it. Just IMHO...

aldri7

Edited by aldri7 - January 15 2013 at 23:02
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 10:55
My fave album from the three artists is  In the Court of the Crimson King  and I love Larks Tongue but the rest of the Crimson Catalogue doesn't thrill me as much.

I love Hot Rats and the jazzy Zappa, but I'm not really a big fan of the rest of his stuff

Steely Dan is consistently amazing.   I love all of their stuff, so I will vote for them I guess
Prog On!
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 08:03
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Josef, I love your avatar, I have one of the same keyboards in my closet.  The Arp String Ensemble was a classic.  Mine was my first real keyboard that I ever got.  I'm half way surprised that the stand is able to hold it.

Regarding the actual topic . . . 

I easily went with the minority on this one.  Steely Dan for me with no hesitation.  I love some Zappa, I like some Crimson, but I love just about everything that Steely Dan has done, I was just listening to Pretzel Logic last night.  I accept that both Zappa and Crimson were proggier, but give me Steely Dan any day.

Nice that you noticed it :D I bought it quite recently, I already owned a great digital keyboard for organ and some piano/clav sounds along with a Moog Little Phatty. I lacked strings however and none of the modern keys could deliver what I wanted for a decent price, so as soon as I had saved enough money I went full prog-nerd mode one day as I was listening to Floyd's "Animals". Like, I'm going to buy that keyboard. Not one that sounds like it, I'm going to buy THAT model. It's only made it to one gig so far but it is actually not impossible to gig with (the sound tech was a bit stunned I guess, but still). As for the stand, I think it is supposed to be able to take up to at least double the weight of the Solina so it's really no problem, and I do have the heavier version also. I don't dare to have the Moog on top of the Solina though, that's just asking for the stand to break I guess ^^.  If you're interested, you can hear the Solina in action if you visit the link in my signature, on all tracks except "The End". It's not featured that much, but it will become increasingly important in my music.

Returning to the topic, maybe I should give Steely Dan some more listens, I made up my mind that they were pretty much meh quite a long time ago. Frank Zappa however I can respect but feels way too dadaistic for me.
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 07:12
Originally posted by Josef_K Josef_K wrote:

King Crimson, no contest for me. They have had some of the best musicians I've ever heard of, yet still they are overshadowed by the most impressive aspect of the group, the compositional skill (mainly of one Robert Fripp of course, but also other members of the group on several tracks, especially from the debut).

Josef, I love your avatar, I have one of the same keyboards in my closet.  The Arp String Ensemble was a classic.  Mine was my first real keyboard that I ever got.  I'm half way surprised that the stand is able to hold it.

Regarding the actual topic . . . 

I easily went with the minority on this one.  Steely Dan for me with no hesitation.  I love some Zappa, I like some Crimson, but I love just about everything that Steely Dan has done, I was just listening to Pretzel Logic last night.  I accept that both Zappa and Crimson were proggier, but give me Steely Dan any day.
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 02:38
King Crimson, no contest for me. They have had some of the best musicians I've ever heard of, yet still they are overshadowed by the most impressive aspect of the group, the compositional skill (mainly of one Robert Fripp of course, but also other members of the group on several tracks, especially from the debut).
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 02:13
Zappa zaps them allWink
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 01:49
King Crimson.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 01:32
Between Bobby Fripp and Frank Zappa for me. Another no vote for me.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 01:31
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Yes Sumdeus I have, but I can't get past all the silly, novelty songs Zappa did!!

That's irrelevant (ha) considering all the densely composed material he did for a long time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>