Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some of my animated film favourites

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you have a favourite of these?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [25.00%]
2 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some of my animated film favourites
    Posted: January 22 2013 at 07:15
Inspired by Aginor, these  are the first to spring to my mind (unordered list), and I have seen all of the feature length Miyazaki Ghibli films, but decided not to list them all.  I'm sure that I'm forgetting various faves of mine.  Fritz the Cat was listed more for nostalgic reasons.  Parika is an anime on my list to see.

Please mention your own favourites, as I'm on the look-out for good animated films.  A lot of these are not kid friendly, but my next to watch with the kids is Welcome to the Space Show, and for me to watch without the kids will be Perfect Blue. 

EDIT: removed the Hobbit to add the much better Fantastic Planet which I thought of after posting.

Edited by Logan - January 22 2013 at 08:18
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 07:24
Steamboy I love. Lord of  the rings is terrible though imo. Never heard of The Hobbit.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 07:33
I'\m probably one of the few that really likes the Bakshi Lord of the Rings (I love the rotoscope work).  I saw it when I was a kid, and it still has sentimental value.  I actually enjoy it more than the Jackson films which didn't translate the feel of the books that effectively for me.  The Hobbit animated one was actually a Rankin/Bass musical TV special, and isn't good, but still has some sentimental value for me. ).
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 07:36
I LOVE the 80's animated Transformers film, but I think you have to have the nostalgic/rose-tinted memories of growing up with the toys/comics/cartoon series, etc!

Nice to see you mentioned `Perfect Blue'! A very gripping and draining experience! I saw that on cinema as a double bill with `Wicked City', a super erotic R-rated sci-fi/action anime flick!
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 07:37
Well, I missed out completely on animated movies so it seems (except for a lot of Disney stuff, Watership Down and the Dutch Heer Bommel movie).
I don't know any of these! Embarrassed
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 08:02
Love French animation, especially Le Roi et L'Oiseau and Michel Ocelot's stuff. Howl's Moving Castle is probably my favorite from the list, although I have not seen all of them.

Edited by Kotro - January 22 2013 at 08:04
Bigger on the inside.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 08:05
Coraline is my absolute favorite animated film. I also love Studio Ghibli's films. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are my favorite of those. 2009 had some great ones like the above mentioned Coraline, Secret of Kells, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and the hailed Up (which, despite its quality, did not deserve that Oscar). Sylvian Chomet has directed some good ones like Triplets of Belleville and The Illusionist.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 08:12
Far too hard to pick. The most recent I've watched is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and it was great.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 08:15
Coraline is very good.  I think I would have listed that had I put some more thought into the poll.  I also liked Secret of Kells.  I started watching Fantastic Mr. Fox not that long ago, but things cropped up and I didn't finish it. 

---------------------------------------------

Not long after posting as I prepared it very quickly (doing this due to insomnia)  I remembered another particular favourite of mine, La Planete Sauvage (Fanatastic Planet) -- going to add that and remove the Hobbit.  And I might replace Fritz the Cat with Coraline.  I know there are various excellent of the weird variety ones that I'm forgetting.

Edited by Logan - January 22 2013 at 08:20
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 08:36
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Love French animation, especially Le Roi et L'Oiseau and Michel Ocelot's stuff. Howl's Moving Castle is probably my favorite from the list, although I have not seen all of them.

I'll look into Michel Ocelot, knew the name, as I love lots of French film.  On a tangential note, an old joke I heard from a school principal:

How do you titillate an ocelot?
You oscillate a tit-a-lot.

I started watching Le Roi et L'Oiseau with my kids not that long ago, but they were very boisterous so we didn't finish it.  I remember one French film that was for me a glaring omission from the list, La planete sauvage. 

I hope to discover lots of films thanks to this topic.

Edited by Logan - January 22 2013 at 08:36
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 08:38
Bellevile Rendesvouz is an excellent film.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 17:54

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 19:36
Akira over the Miyazaki films I've seen and Ghost in the Shell.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 21:08
I've seen almost none of these--  Bakshi's Wizards
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 13:08
^^ Iron Giant was good.  That, Astro Boy and a fave Ghibl film  of mine called Lupoto: Castle in the Sky might make a neat triple-bill.

^I like Wizards -- forgot all about it.  It's on youtube so I might just watch it again today -- I was maybe ten when I saw it last.

Snowie:  Definitely going to check out Bellevile Rendesvouz  -- thanks!  And I also really liked Steamboy.

Michael:  Definitely gonna check out Wicked City.

Nice choices, Jon.

I'm surprised that When the Wind Blows has no votes, and so few votes overall (a rare film that actually brought tears to my eyes) -- such a  moving film, and due to the soundtrack which includes the title song by David Bowie, the Brazilian by Genesis, and lots of Roger Waters it would have gotten more interest from the archivers.  I think I'm going with Grave of the Fireflies.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 13:13
When The Wind Blows is great. Just too sad for me. The book was bad enough.

Bad but great. Both book and fiilm. For some reason rarely shown here. I would watch it again if shown.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 13:33
Princess Mononoke barely over Spirited Away. Another one for me which is not on the list is Escaflowne. 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 13:37
Grave of the Fireflies was great (Takahata is the better storyteller of the two Ghibli greats), though the English dub voice acting was, well... I prefer it in Japanese without having seen it in Japanese.

Does anybody else appreciate Disney's "Dark Age" films (The Black Cauldron, Sword in the Stone, The Last Unicorn)? While they contain an incredible amount of cheese (particularly TLU), I can't deny that there is something appealing about them.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 13:50
The only one I"ve seen is LOTR which was meh at best for my tastes.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 13:53
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Grave of the Fireflies was great (Takahata is the better storyteller of the two Ghibli greats), though the English dub voice acting was, well... I prefer it in Japanese without having seen it in Japanese.

Does anybody else appreciate Disney's "Dark Age" films (The Black Cauldron, Sword in the Stone, The Last Unicorn)? While they contain an incredible amount of cheese (particularly TLU), I can't deny that there is something appealing about them.
the Sword in the Stone is not from the dark age times, it is from teh end of the middle periode, of okey quality, the dark ages times started with Robin Hood and lasted to Oliver & Company

Sword in the Stone is a good and funny movie, not the best but it is really cute and good spirited, 6/10 in my rating.

Taran and the Black Couldron is a bit slow starter, but is having a good climax if i remember correctly but it is the lowest point for Disney, 4/10.

who do you like best of these
17 One Hundred and One Dalmatians January 25, 1961
18 The Sword in the Stone December 25, 1963
19 The Jungle Book October 18, 1967
20 The Aristocats December 24, 1970
21 Robin Hood November 8, 1973
22 The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh March 11, 1977 [note 1][note 2]
23 The Rescuers June 22, 1977
24 The Fox and the Hound July 10, 1981
25 The Black Cauldron July 24, 1985 [note 4]
26 The Great Mouse Detective July 2, 1986
27 Oliver & Company November 13, 1988 (premiere)
November 18, 1988

Edited by aginor - January 23 2013 at 13:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>