Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Illustrated Guide to Prog Rock Instruments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Illustrated Guide to Prog Rock Instruments
    Posted: January 28 2013 at 10:31

This article has been moved here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98771

Edited by Gerinski - January 17 2015 at 08:31
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 22:27
Wow. This will tremendously helpful to me (as my knowledge of anything remotely technical is piss).

Many thanks!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 01:12
Wow!! Clap Clap
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.."
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 01:57
Oh, gawd, ... that's a lot of stuff! Quite the affair!

Jimmy Page a synth star?
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeqexes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 02:10
Wow, very interesting! Clap
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 02:16
How long did it take you to compile all this, Gerard?
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 03:31
Amazing, a great piece of work Clap
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 07:07
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

How long did it take you to compile all this, Gerard?
Thanks to all for the appreciation.
I had been toying with the idea in my head for quite some time and mentally collecting the information I knew, but before I started writing I thought that it would be quite a short article with just a few basic comments on each instrument. When I started searching for the pictures and a few more details to complement what I already knew I learnt many things I did not know and the thing got longer and longer, it was great fun working on it Tongue
Let's say that from the moment I started writing and collecting pictures until I posted it a few weeks and some sleepless nights have passed LOL

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 07:23
Excellent, fascinating and unique blog. Well done. brilliant job. I look forward to browsing this from time to time. 
Coldness doth get away with the badness.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Neo-Prog and Crossover Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 07:35
Clap

Holy smokes, well done.  I loved the keyboard section which I was at least somewhat familiar with.  Once I realized that you went into the other instruments, I realized 'I've got to get back to work'.  Let's just say that I know what I'm reading tonight after the family goes to bed.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 21:16
Man, great article, Gerard.  I know what kind of stuff I'm saving up my money for now LOL
In blood, he's writing the lyrics of a brand new tune.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 06:34
Emersom definitely played the organ upside down. Or at least with him underneath it from behind. Whiich is what he says  here. (from the floor)

Edited by Snow Dog - January 30 2013 at 06:36
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 07:26
Thanks Jim,

Not being English perhaps the expression 'upside-down' is not really the correct one, I meant this

Should I have said 'from behind', 'flipped over' or something else? or I can add the picture so people will get what I meant, I have this one and i think that also some of his knife-stabbing.

In any case it's a good suggestion to include a reference to Emerson's spinning piano, I'l do an edit in the piano entry, I have pictures already Tongue

And I'm of course open to remarks, corrections or criticisms, during my research I found contradictory information regarding certain subjects and at some point I had to choose for the version which seemed most logical or reliable, but there can certainly be mistakes and if anyone finds one I'm happy to edit.

Edited by Gerinski - January 30 2013 at 13:40
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 08:12
Spinning piano, Emerson's abuse of the L-100 and a new pic in the keytar entry added Tongue
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 08:13
I thought what you wrote was fine.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 13:47
Good stuff Clap
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 09:21
New entry added for the Octoban drum toms
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 11:21
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I thought what you wrote was fine.

I think what he wrote was more than fine - now I realise it was a reference to the generalised L100 abuse, as opposed to what I thought he meant, I have removed the post as promised

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notesworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 23:15
Just wanted to say this is a great post.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 11:09
Nice!!! 

There are a few things that could be added though: fretless basses, such as Gary Willis' bass, en Percy Jones, and the double necks that Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson used in the 70's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic