Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

An Illustrated Guide to Prog Rock Instruments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Illustrated Guide to Prog Rock Instruments
    Posted: July 12 2013 at 19:43
Originally posted by Gerinski

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq

^ Since you are going that far, how about the instruments that Gryphon used (krumhorns and such) ? Gentle Giant and PFM? 
Honestly Gryphon is one of those well-known bands I have no idea about Embarrassed (never been too fond of Folk Prog), and I had to search to find out what a krumhorn is (double Embarrassed).
But who knows, maybe as I learn more these may get a place in my article too Tongue
Alright then.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 12 2013 at 19:43
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 23:50
I don't recall any mention of the optigan. It seems to have an unsuccessful history wedged in a no man's land historically between the mellotron and digital samplers. Did anyone other than Steve Hackett use one?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 04:46
Originally posted by HackettFan

I don't recall any mention of the optigan. It seems to have an unsuccessful history wedged in a no man's land historically between the mellotron and digital samplers. Did anyone other than Steve Hackett use one?
I mentioned the Optigan in the Vako Orchestron entry, which was a descendant of the Optigan. The Optigan was meant as a home keyboard, not for professional use, so I doubt any professional musicians used it (although I am not certain). Among the Orchestron users I only know of Kraftwerk and Patrick Moraz.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 16:04
Hi!
For personal reasons I have been rather away from PA for quite some time (and possibly will still remain little involved for some more time) and in the meantime I had been gathering some additional info for this article, but I never found the time to bring the updates to life.

Finally I have found some time and I updated quite a lot, around 5,000 words of text and no less than 83 new pictures have been added, more than an article it's becoming a treaty...

There are text updates and new pics a bit everywhere but the most significant new pieces of information are:

- Mellotron: added Wakeman's custom dual M400
- some new pics and info for the Hammond, ARP synths, Hohner, Farfisa, Vako Orchestron, Poly Synths...
- added Yamaha CP electric pianos
- the entry for Keytars has been significantly extended
- new entry for the Coral Electric Sitar (thanks to Dennis 'The Crimson King' for the suggestion!)
- extended info in the entries for '5 and more string basses' and multi-neck instruments
- Mister Bassman and BassMate bass pedals added in the Taurus entry
- new entry for 'Other guitars and basses'
- new entry for 'Other drums'

I hope you enjoy it!
Cheers,
Gerard

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 18:21
2 words here:

HOLY sh*t!!!
Michael678
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 01:56
Any new entries since last fall, Gerard?
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 02:13
^ Hi, that original thread had become impossible to edit, I guess because there was too much stuff in a single post, so I migrated the article to this new thread where I split the contents in several posts

Yes there have been a few updates but I can't recall them by heart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345