FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 30>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 08:40
Ah that's right...CA.
I was gunan say 5 am wtf? But those darned time zones. What do you do for the Asian races which sometimes end up keeping me up till 3!? You actually stay up till 6 to catch it? If so that's impressive dedication.

Yes, good ol Spa. Can't wait, and all these weeks in advance I'll call a Kimi win! I've been solid thus far.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 09:54
After last years race I think everybody's going with a low downforce race so I'm going to say Lewis as that Merc's fast on the straights.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 23:35
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Ah that's right...CA.
I was gunan say 5 am wtf? But those darned time zones. What do you do for the Asian races which sometimes end up keeping me up till 3!? You actually stay up till 6 to catch it? If so that's impressive dedication.

Yes, good ol Spa. Can't wait, and all these weeks in advance I'll call a Kimi win! I've been solid thus far.

In those instances, I tape it.  I love the sport, but dang, I need sleep! LOL  And for this weekend's race at Watkins Glen, Max Papis will be filling in for Tony Stewart in the 14.  Should be fun to watch!  Also, sounds like Smoke will have to have a second surgery done on his leg, so he might be done for the year, or a good chunk of it, anyway.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 11:02
Well only a few years ago I managed to do it, but the "normal" work life has finally been carved into me. I can't dream of being up so late anymore :(
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 01:25
Well, it seems Speed is no more. (OR will be as of next weekend) Fox is switching it to Fox Sports 1, which I fear will be packed full of other sports...like soccer and baseball. But perhaps I'm just jumping the gun.

Either way, Windtunnel has officially come to an end. A show that I must admit I haven't watched as much as I should (esp since it became a 30 min, once a week show). But nevertheless, I have found memories of it from when I was younger.

Also, Speed Center will come to a close as well, and I only hope that FS1 will have some sort of motorsport news show (like Speed Center) in it's new lineup so I can get some racing news/highlights outside of Nascar.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 01:25
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Ah that's right...CA.

In those instances, I tape it.  I love the sport, but dang, I need sleep! LOL  And for this weekend's race at Watkins Glen, Max Papis will be filling in for Tony Stewart in the 14.  Should be fun to watch!  Also, sounds like Smoke will have to have a second surgery done on his leg, so he might be done for the year, or a good chunk of it, anyway.

Minimum 2-3 weeks out is what I'm seeing atm.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 06:01
Well, FS1 will definitely have some racing as they've done a deal for the Formula E championship that starts next year.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:59
Well that's good.

I originally thought the name change was going to be just that...a name change. But now that things are being cancelled/ended...I mean they have no reason to stop broadcasting racing, just personal choice/limited time is all I can see.

But I guess we'll find out. Hopefully I just jumped the gun!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 10:41
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Well, it seems Speed is no more. (OR will be as of next weekend) Fox is switching it to Fox Sports 1, which I fear will be packed full of other sports...like soccer and baseball. But perhaps I'm just jumping the gun.

Either way, Windtunnel has officially come to an end. A show that I must admit I haven't watched as much as I should (esp since it became a 30 min, once a week show). But nevertheless, I have found memories of it from when I was younger.

Also, Speed Center will come to a close as well, and I only hope that FS1 will have some sort of motorsport news show (like Speed Center) in it's new lineup so I can get some racing news/highlights outside of Nascar.
Holy crap, missed all this.

Is a shame about Speed :(
Wow, Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain? Yeah I've not watched that in YEARS. I recall it being changed to a time that didn't work, and I just generally fell out of racing as well but yeah I used to love that guy. He was truly the motorsport god, what didn't he cover? There are STILL to this day racing things I saw on that show that I've never been able to identify!

All quite sad, but like all things this happens....remember when we got coverage of WRC, which died out? Coverage of sports cars has been worse over time, and SPEED used to have so much F1 stuff, at least in the course of a race weekend, now nothing. IDK if you ever saw F1 Decade, when they played races from 10 years before (03, 04, 05 thus 93-95) was great, and glad they didn't shy away from/edit the '94 San Marino GP at all.
And post season commentary/analysis. Havn't seen any of that since the good daysCry

Edited by JJLehto - August 14 2013 at 10:49
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 14:28
Blame the lack of WRC coverage on the promoters, we don't even get any here in the UK.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 22:33

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Well, it seems Speed is no more. (OR will be as of next weekend) Fox is switching it to Fox Sports 1, which I fear will be packed full of other sports...like soccer and baseball. But perhaps I'm just jumping the gun. Either way, Windtunnel has officially come to an end. A show that I must admit I haven't watched as much as I should (esp since it became a 30 min, once a week show). But nevertheless, I have found memories of it from when I was younger. Also, Speed Center will come to a close as well, and I only hope that FS1 will have some sort of motorsport news show (like Speed Center) in it's new lineup so I can get some racing news/highlights outside of Nascar.

Holy crap, missed all this.

Is a shame about Speed :(

Wow, Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain? Yeah I've not watched that in YEARS. I recall it being changed to a time that didn't work, and I just generally fell out of racing as well but yeah I used to love that guy. He was truly the motorsport god, what didn't he cover? There are STILL to this day racing things I saw on that show that I've never been able to identify!

All quite sad, but like all things this happens....remember when we got coverage of WRC, which died out? Coverage of sports cars has been worse over time, and SPEED used to have so much F1 stuff, at least in the course of a race weekend, now nothing. IDK if you ever saw F1 Decade, when they played races from 10 years before (03, 04, 05 thus 93-95) was great, and glad they didn't shy away from/edit the '94 San Marino GP at all.

And post season commentary/analysis. Havn't seen any of that since the good daysCry

Indeed! I think Speed shot itself in the foot when it started to flood the airwaves with all that terrible original programming and stuff like old episodes of Pimp My Ride. Especially when they had so much racing they could have shown!

I remember when Windtunnel was on like 5 nights a week...the one hour on Sunday's wasn't too bad, but since it changed to only a half hour on sundays it really diminished the quality and greatness that the show had...IMO. DD's departure sure leaves a hole and I hope he can continue the motorsports coverage in some way. Sadly, I didn't see enough of those f1 decade things...I caught a few, but most of them were like the last 10 laps of the event.

I just hope something remains on FS1 that links it to it's past...like showing a good chuck of the 24 hours of Daytona/LM and those silly little races like figure 8 racing (I think they call it 'On The Edge')...even monster truck racing.

Either way though...certainly a hit for motorsports in America.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 09:14
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Blame the lack of WRC coverage on the promoters, we don't even get any here in the UK.

Ah makes sense. I actually think that show Phil mentioned is the ONLY reason I even knew WRC existed!  

Yeah, I knew it'd go downhill when they started putting all that crap on SPEED. Poor Wind Tunnel, that guy was a beast. And such a grizzled old dude, I love the F1 anouncers but they dont have that rugged street tough merkan styleLOL
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 14:23
Wouldn't surprise me, apparently most Americans thought Colin McRae was a made up computer game character until he turned up at the X Games for the first time around 03/4.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 08:14

haha yeah, at least people know of/can make some guess about F1.

WRC? They'd probably just stare at me.
And remember, I've only seen F1 make ESPN news thrice in my whole time following!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 12:45
It appears that Ricciardo will get the Red Bull seat next year as Kimi's management have said talks have come to an end between them and RB. Could be a negotiation ploy but I don't see how that would work.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 13:45
Goodness, well if so guess it's not really a surprise.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 14:06
^ Ditto...but I'll still say:
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 15:08
I mean, all the rumor mills kept saying Kimi would most likely stay at Lotus, Nico was already locked up, and of all the "rest" DR was on that young driver program. Will be interesting to see what he does!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 18:00
Yeah, to be honest if Kimi really wanted to go to RBR the deal would have been done ages ago, look at when he came back it took him all of a week to sort out the Lotus contract so it's no real surprise.

Personally I'm glad he's not going, it keeps the top drivers spread around the top teams which I generally prefer, at least whilst there are 4 or 5 quality teams out there.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 12:59
For sure.
That's true, will probably make for a better year instead what would assumedly be RBR utter dominance. Thing is naturally I wanted to see Vettel with competition, and with Kimi well that's as good as it gets. Still it'll be good and guess it'll be nice to see young blood get a chance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 30>