Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes vs. Glass Hammer dust-up!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 15:15
Glass Hammer will be fine. 3 fine albums with the same line up so I think a little bit of a shake up (ie freshening up) shouldn't harm them that much. The rocks of the band will continue to be Babb and Schendel. I would argue that The Inconsolable Secret is their best and that had Matt Mendians on drums. The line up for Culture Of Ascent was even better with Carl Groves and Mendians imo. GH always adapt successfully with any line up change. Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!!
ShipOfFools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 15:37
What in the world is up with these Yes guys?

I love the band, and all the albums, but I sometimes think that ALL of them seem to be a bunch of w**kers!

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Maybe Glass Hammer could bring Susie Bogdanowicz back on board for the cruise.

As much as I've enjoyed their last two albums (have yet to hear their latest), I do miss Susie.   Still, I bet Fred could slap the .... outta Chris.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 17:50
Doctor, grab a copy of `Perilous' right now!

Perhaps what you said is part of the problem - Chris worried about being upstaged by Fred, and Davison in Hammer coming across as the better act of the two on that cruise stage!

Oh well, the proof will be there at the time, Hammer will tear through their set and totaly upstage Yes all the same!

(Man, I really love Yes, I don't want it to sound like I keep taking little shots at them!)

Richard, I just listened to `Culture' yesterday and think Carl back would be a great thing, if the worst situation happens and Davison has to wrap up with GH due to Yes. I think he'd be allowed more artistic freedom and collaboration with Hammer, but seriously, would YOU or any of us say no to get to be in Yes (and I assume record with them soon too)?!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 06:49
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Squire ought to apply for a soap opera scriptwriter job. He'd make a mint.
Except all the goings-on with Yes over the years would be less believabel than Eastenders.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 08:16
Well, apparently the members of Yes all said yes to him singing with both bands.  Yes' management disagreed and said no.

Whatever the truth, I have long since lost interest in anything "Yes" does (without Anderson, I just don't see it as Yes).  Fly From Here was the best Buggles album ever.  As a Yes album, it was not terrible, but that's the best praise I can give it.

Also, it doesn't appear from this news that Davison is no longer in Glass Hammer, only that he won't be appearing with them on this cruise.  Is that correct, or did I miss something about him not being in Glass Hammer anymore?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 08:33
No, Infandous, I noticed that too, it certainly doesn't mention that he won't be part of Glass Hammer anymore altogether.

I think I also read something in the last week or two that the Hammer guys with Davison where excited about some new recordings they were starting?? Don't know where I think I read that, perhaps Facebook (even though I don't use it)? I'll investigate!

UPDATE --> Yep, just checked their Facebook page, and a link on January 25th wrote: "Jon Davison is working on some interesting ideas for an upcoming Glass Hammer album."

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - February 13 2013 at 08:50
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 12:48

Isn't it just possible that there are concerns that JD's voice wouldn't hold up for several consecutive appearances on single nights? Taxing for anyone.

Assuming that GH would be on before Yes I find it feasible to assume that Yes (or their management) didn't want to go onstage with a singer whose voice is by then shot to buggery.

If I were Yes, this would have me worried.

This story is possibly being given a more sinister spin than warrants the cause.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 10:44
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Isn't it just possible that there are concerns that JD's voice wouldn't hold up for several consecutive appearances on single nights? Taxing for anyone.

Assuming that GH would be on before Yes I find it feasible to assume that Yes (or their management) didn't want to go onstage with a singer whose voice is by then shot to buggery.

If I were Yes, this would have me worried.

This story is possibly being given a more sinister spin than warrants the cause.

Absolutely true and valid points; however, you would think this would have been sorted out long beforehand!    

Yes were booked for CTTE first, and GH second, so perhaps Yes claimed priority.  Also, Yes has a grueling tour upcoming, and a return to the studio.  

In discussions with GH, they don't sound all that worried about it.  As someone mentioned, they rarely play live, and they are benefiting hugely from their association with Yes, so perhaps they want to keep it quiet.  GH fans are quite in an uproar however.  

The suggestion for GH to bring Jon Anderson on is brilliant, I'd LOVE to see the reaction to that on the cruise ship!  
mustachemanager View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2013 at 14:27
Jon Anderson should do a complete "Olias of Sunhillow" set on the cruise at sunrise.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2013 at 20:15
Originally posted by mustachemanager mustachemanager wrote:

Jon Anderson should do a complete "Olias of Sunhillow" set on the cruise at sunrise.

...kinda like this?  (I filmed this at the Arcada Theater, St. Charles, Illinois!)

I agree, I'd LOVE to see a live "Olias," anywhere!

mustachemanager View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2013 at 19:47
Was that from a completely solo show?  Cool footage.  Thanks for sharing. 

I really dig the "Olias" album as well. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2013 at 21:04
Originally posted by mustachemanager mustachemanager wrote:

Was that from a completely solo show?  Cool footage.  Thanks for sharing. 

I really dig the "Olias" album as well. 

You are very welcome, I wish I had a tripod for that one!  That clip was from Jon's "Voice of Yes" solo show.  It was an amazing show, he mixed classic Yes, "Olias" and many stories, jokes & remembrances!  

One of the high points was when he sat down at an electronic keyboard (nice Korg Triton workstation or equivalent) and did a solo version of "The Revealing Science of God"!  Truly amazing!  Clap

He also gave a few insights into the "Jon vs. Yes" goings-on....I gathered that he's not as angry with Squire as he might be with Howe, although Squire is the bad-guy in most of the print/blogs/forums.  

In any event, I didn't sense any real healing between Yes and Jon will happen any time soon.  If he DID sit in with Glass Hammer, I think it would be earth-shaking!  

Whatever, I hope everyone as a good time on CTTE!!  Don't need any blown out engines, toilets etc.!  

The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 21:04
I am very sad that I can not make the cruise. Glass Hammer are a bloody good band, and they will deliver.

I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 08:35
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well, apparently the members of Yes all said yes to him singing with both bands.  Yes' management disagreed and said no.

Whatever the truth, I have long since lost interest in anything "Yes" does (without Anderson, I just don't see it as Yes).  Fly From Here was the best Buggles album ever.  As a Yes album, it was not terrible, but that's the best praise I can give it.

Also, it doesn't appear from this news that Davison is no longer in Glass Hammer, only that he won't be appearing with them on this cruise.  Is that correct, or did I miss something about him not being in Glass Hammer anymore?

This interview with Steve Howe was posted to the "Notes From The Edge" page of Facebook, which is often insightful. 

From the interview:

Yes recently completed their Cruise To The Edge floating festival, which started with a cloud over it after it was said the band had forbidden Davison to sing with Glass Hammer on the ship.

But Howe calls the story an “exaggeration,” explaining: “There was a decision: we jointly, as a band, decided not to water it down – let’s all be Yes at that time. I won’t dabble with my thing and no one else will dabble with other things.

“When I saw how it had come out I went, ‘Yuck!’ I was uncomfortable. It should have just said – and it would have been more honest if it just said – ‘Yes members are only doing Yes on the cruise.’ It would have said the same thing in a much better way.

“There was a lot of logic in the decision and it applied to everybody, not just him. If we hadn’t make the decision we’d have been doing masterclasses, lunches, tap-dancing, using whatever other skills we had!"

=====

My guess is that Yes has completely assimilated Jon Davison into their band, and that Glass Hammer will move on.  No one has said as much, but I think that is the way it is moving.  Yes sorely needed some new energy and talent, and Davison brings composing skills and cohesion to a very dysfunctional group.  

I don't see any way that Davison can front two bands, Yes won't allow it.  Is this fair to Glass Hammer, after releasing their masterwork "Perilous"?  Probably not, but that's rock & roll.  

Read the entire interview, it's excellent....Howe is not favorable to a new Yes album, Squire is etc.  

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 01:09
^That is rotten news. Yes are pretty much a spent force. Glass Hammer and Jon Davison have been riding a symphonic wave of brilliance. A real shame but then GH have been a remarkably consistent band since 2002 and as I said before they will be okay.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 09:32
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!. how many times will i hear. glass hammer vs yes. in sound  maybe they sound in parts little like yes. but if you listen to lets say marillion fish era. they where always called genesis clones. with fish in full face make up and stroyteller mode. i`m a huge fan of yes from `73. i`ve also gotten few albums by glass hammer. there a class prog band. just open your ears too the MUSIC.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 09:57
I'm much rather listen to Davison in Glass Hammer than in Yes.  Yes is a spent force, and has been for many years, IMO.  If Davison can change this, it will be a pleasant surprise, but I don't think it's going to happen. Fly From Here was tepid, at best, and I don't expect much more even with Davison on board.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 15:18
^ agree with both of youThumbs Up
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 06:04
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I'm much rather listen to Davison in Glass Hammer than in Yes.  Yes is a spent force, and has been for many years, IMO.  If Davison can change this, it will be a pleasant surprise, but I don't think it's going to happen. Fly From Here was tepid, at best, and I don't expect much more even with Davison on board.

I must be in the minority then because I really enjoyed Fly From Here. Also enjoy Glass Hammer. Why must we support one band and knock the other?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>