Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Arena to release a 2-Disc version of Contagion?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArena to release a 2-Disc version of Contagion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arena to release a 2-Disc version of Contagion?
    Posted: February 19 2013 at 13:08
From the latest Arena Newsletter:

CONTAGION "MAX" 2-DISC?
This year is the 10th anniversary of Arena's classic Contagion album. As most of you will know, the band decided to make it a single disc and put the extra material on two EP's, instead of creating a two disc album. However, plans were made for a a two disc fans only release. The mix for that was actually made, but eventually shelved for various reasons.

The 10th anniversary is an excellent moment to release it after all! Whether this is feasible basically depends on the question how many of you actually would want to buy a copy. If you would buy it (or even pre-order it in advance), please drop us a line at [email protected]. We need critical mass to make this happen! In other words, the more positive responses, the better the chance it will actually be released!

Please note that the possible 2-disc version is not intended to replace the original 1-disc version of 2003, the idea is to provide the alternate listening experience of the whole continuous Contagion saga. See also the 2004 preview here at the Cage website.

Considering this is one of my favourite albums, I'm really stoked to see this happen, as I hope many of you will be as well.

Cheers.

Edited by Dorsalia - February 19 2013 at 13:09
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

Harkonnen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 21:09
The band must give us something new. Pack it in a digibook with new artwork, remix it, add additional takes with their new singer, etc. It's so easy to make a playlist in itunes including the material of the single album and the EP's... They even told us in which order the songs should be. Hey, I even have the CD with the album recorded live! Don't get me wrong, I've bought all the Crimson, Tull, ELP's remixes, Porcupine Tree and Marillion digibooks and I'm always looking for a "special edition"... So, Mr Nolan, get your marketing brains working... What am I getting that I haven't got so far?
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 12:55
I'm assuming it's not just going to have the same cover, but I guess it all depends on the amount of interest people show. I listen to the "complete" version on my pc sometimes, but being a CD fan, I would very much like to be able to stick the two discs into the player and give it a go. I'm also wondering if they would equalize/remix the tracks or something. The sound isn't the same on the EPs as on the original album. On the other hand, I wouldn't like extra takes or bonus tracks that didn't belong in the flow of the album, unless they were on an extra disc.

You're right, though. Maybe a little more info here as to possible goodies would raise more interest. What about printing Nolan's short story in the booklet as well?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 13:05
This is my favorite Arena album, so I'd definitely be into getting my hands on a copy of that if it should happen. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 14:42
I"ve never bought this one so it would be good to see happen.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 15:33

I love Arena. And I love this album. But I have it already, as well as the EPs. I don't see why I should buy it again. 
glassarmshattering View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 12:19
I will definitely be buying this, but I agree that the EP tracks need to be remastered to fit with the rest of the album, they definitely sound different.

With regards to extras and other things to entice us to buy it; I think the reason Mr. Nolan is doing this IS FOR THE FANS, because it is a question he has been asked often since around 2005. 

I would hate to see this NOT happen because not enough people express interest.

Post Reply Post Reply