Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 11:26
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by pitfall pitfall wrote:

Could you please give me some examples of these frequent occasions when Howe's electric playing sounds jarring? I've never come across it myself.
I find it difficult to accept that you have ever really listened to his playing!

Eh, any number of his faster leads with Yes but CTTE if you want one example.  Please read what I said with context - though I didn't specify it, I was comparing his approach with Hackett. Yes, compared to Hackett, I do find Howe's electric playing pretty jarring, the more so as he gets faster while Hackett is very smooth and makes me oblivious to how fast he might be playing. 

I was thinking about Howe's leads and his playing just yesterday and I agree with you that Hackett and others are much 'smoother' and more melodic at times. There are leads by Howe here and there on all the best known lp's by Yes that sound 'jarring ' to me also...but it fits somehow with their overall approach.
--

for me jarring is the wrong word --but I do know what you mean--his playing is more chunky (and funky) and guitarly if you will, where Hackett is coming up with his own smooth guitar sound---what I love about real artists like these two--is you give them a paint brush (the guitar) and they both paint in the same genre (prog) and they come up with completely different masterpiece's. 

I'm a Yes and Genesis fan......and both guitarists are unique but at times I want to change the way Howe's guitar sounds. For me it's probably the' trebly' tone he uses.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 11:29
^ Well, he grew up on RnR, so I guess that's wear he got the idea for the trebly tone and didn't go for something heavier.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 08:30
Hi,

Kinda scary thought to think that even pop music does not have any virtuosity in it ... which would beg the question ... why we buying it, then?

There has to be more to it, somewhere!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 08:31
^ Why is it a scary thought?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 09:04
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Kinda scary thought to think that even pop music does not have any virtuosity in it ... which would beg the question ... why we buying it, then?

There has to be more to it, somewhere!
What are you saying - no pop music has any virtuosity in it? We should only buy music that does?
Nonsense.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:14
Does DUKE have virtuosity in it? I kind of think it does. It's a very accessable prog album...pop like at times.   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 00:21
Just found two counterexamples to a suggestion made earlier that virtuosity is more relevant in entertainment than art.   Um, One More Red Nightmare for Ian McDonald's saxophone work and Dancing with the moonlit knight for Collins's work on drums!   Esp the former....he's not really trying to play blinding fast but it is certainly well beyond the reach of a mediocre musician.   And at the same time it's very expressive.  Parts, if not of all the expression actually come from his improvisational approach where he contrasts sections with lots of notes played quickly with ones where he just 'lazily' lays down a few spaced out notes.  It's not as such a particularly different approach from jazz, much of which would be considered art rather than just entertainment music. 

Edited by rogerthat - May 11 2013 at 00:22
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 01:03

I suppose my main question for the thread is whether you'd want anyone else singing and playing that...

And similarly,

Edited by TGM: Orb - May 11 2013 at 01:04
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 01:48
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Does DUKE have virtuosity in it? I kind of think it does. It's a very accessable prog album...pop like at times.   

I don't know about Duke but Toto did have plenty of virtuosity and were a top pop group in the 80s.   I think at least until the advent of boybands and girlgroups Dead- i.e. Spice Girls, NOT Bangles - pop could be pretty smart and sharp.   There are plenty of subtle examples of instrumental virtuosity but skill used to be pretty important in pop vocals.  Here's Patti LaBelle and Mike Bolton (filling in at the last minute for Levi Stubbs, hard to tell unless you are already informed of this) ripping it onstage:

Edited by rogerthat - May 11 2013 at 01:49
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 15:37
It's a great advantage to bands (such as Steve Howe's excellent guitar playing in Yes Cool) but not really essential and as some bands have proven you can have lots of musicians with different knowledges on genres and sometimes they can click together and make great music Big smile
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 22:48
It can't be beyond the realms of possibility that the greatest public speaker in the world has precisely zero opinions of their own? Eloquence is not tantamount to 'smart'' e.g there are those who can express their ignorance brilliantly and very entertainingly...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011