Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson begging in Facebook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 14:08
People who download music in this way were never going to buy the album in the first place  so no money is really lost to the artist as they would never of bought it anyway .

And People who like Physical copy's of there Music  CD of Vinyl will buy and pay for it

The technology is here the genie out the bottle and he ent going back in.

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 14:19
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

You probably won't have financial difficulties neither if your manager at work tomorrow decides not to pay you anymore for a random number of worked hours. It's not like you'll starve or go broke right. Just eat your soles if you're hungry.

Do you even realize what you are saying?

Except in Wilson's case he's still gonna have a bunch of diehard fans who are going to buy it, and plus he can go tour, which is going to bring him a lot more money than record sales.

Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 14:43
Back in the Plastic Age  of the 70s, there was no greater buzz than going into a record store (remember those???) , wafts of incense infusing with the heady aroma of vinyl and cardboard (an intoxicating mix) and sucking you into multiple purchases , often based on the cover art (there was no Internet back then, as weird as that may sound to you "younguns"). It was all about physically holding the LP artwork in your hands, looking at the credits, hoping to recognize some musician's name and BOOM, taking the plunge! That's what it was like in 1972, 1973 and 1974, etc...No prog advertizing and only a few mags to count on! 

MP3s are despicable , IMHO, its like some cheap blank tape tossed into the back of one's Rambler , with some illegible scribblings with a worthless BiC pen. Beurk! Prog is an ENTIRE package, like a piece of art in a museum, you need the frame and the lighting! 

Since the 80's movie "Wall Street", thievery has become okay and an accepted social phenomenon ! Enron, Tyco, Parmalat and the oligarchs rule the planet , and most citizens simply adhere to the latest technology gods. 

Rant over and out! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 14:57
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Back in the Plastic Age  of the 70s, there was no greater buzz than going into a record store (remember those???) , wafts of incense infusing with the heady aroma of vinyl and cardboard (an intoxicating mix) and sucking you into multiple purchases , often based on the cover art (there was no Internet back then, as weird as that may sound to you "younguns"). It was all about physically holding the LP artwork in your hands, looking at the credits, hoping to recognize some musician's name and BOOM, taking the plunge! That's what it was like in 1972, 1973 and 1974, etc... 

It's still like that in some places, don't you worry Thomas!
I need the whole package as well. The smell of vinyl, incense and of course the weed coming from a room in the back. I need to talk to the guy behind the counter and torture myself with all his stories from when he lived in Hamburg and saw Floyd, Tangerine Dream and Yes together on stage playing Sinatra tunes. Oh yes these guys have seen it all, and it's part of buying new music imo.

I love coming out of a record shop with two bags of albums - meeting up with some friends, drinking a few beers and diving straight into the velvety black vinyl oceans.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:24
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

People who download music in this way were never going to buy the album in the first place  so no money is really lost to the artist as they would never of bought it anyway .

And People who like Physical copy's of there Music  CD of Vinyl will buy and pay for it

The technology is here the genie out the bottle and he ent going back in.

While I agree with you it's no justification for stealing it. Maybe there are 5% of people who download it who would have bought it. Those are lost sales. I don't buy the argument that the serial downloaders may end up buying it. They don't buy anything.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:26
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

You probably won't have financial difficulties neither if your manager at work tomorrow decides not to pay you anymore for a random number of worked hours. It's not like you'll starve or go broke right. Just eat your soles if you're hungry.

Do you even realize what you are saying?

Except in Wilson's case he's still gonna have a bunch of diehard fans who are going to buy it, and plus he can go tour, which is going to bring him a lot more money than record sales.

Sounds like a very typical excuse of a thief trying to rationalize his crime.
The judge will have a good laugh when he hears your plea.

Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:27
Wilson makes most of his money touring, as does anyone. You can't just rely on royalties. Anyway downloaders are still fans and will buy tickets to the concerts.

I dislike CDs. They are worthless to me because they are put on your computer and then on your iPod, so you end up using them once. Who really uses CD players anymore? It's obsolete. Why not download instead when it accomplishes the same thing? That being said, I highly value LPs. If Wilson wants me to get the physical product in my hand it will only be with an LP.

I'm going to get some hate...
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:39

Sounds like a very typical excuse of a thief trying to rationalize his crime.
The judge will have a good laugh when he hears your plea.

lol would you please get off your high horse? you are not superior to others because you never download music... and people who do download music are not some terrible criminals. but you do come off as quite the ass when you act all high and mighty.

also, I guess a lot of you are unaware but there are actually a lot of people who download something online first to make sure they like it and then go buy it. It's not that uncommon. wouldn't you want to preview the music to make sure you really dig it before you go spend your hard earned money on a physical product?

Edited by Sumdeus - February 24 2013 at 15:41
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:40
Originally posted by Quirky Turkey Quirky Turkey wrote:

Wilson makes most of his money touring, as does anyone. You can't just rely on royalties. Anyway downloaders are still fans and will buy tickets to the concerts.

I dislike CDs. They are worthless to me because they are put on your computer and then on your iPod, so you end up using them once. Who really uses CD players anymore? It's obsolete. Why not download instead when it accomplishes the same thing? That being said, I highly value LPs. If Wilson wants me to get the physical product in my hand it will only be with an LP.

I'm going to get some hate...
So you are going to buy that download, right?

Wilson is making money on touring because people steal the material, it's an insane justification. So because the downloader steals the copy you're supposed to be happy when they buy a concert ticket? They'll probably just watch it through a cellphone then upload it onto youtube.

Ian

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:43
No, Wilson is making money on touring because that is the main source of revenue for musicians today and only a small percentage of the money from record sales goes to the actual musician who made the music.... jesus you guys are so stuck on this one singular view...

also let me ask you this... how do you guys feel about libraries? people being able to walk in and just check out books for free, isn't it terrible? they should be going to the bookstore and spending money on it! and what about back in the day when cassette trading was big? wasn't that another atrocity? people making unofficial tapes and trading it, all this music being shared without everyone going to stores to spend money! the horror!

I am of the opinion that ones makes any sort of art with the purpose of people experiencing it and reacting to it. I would not care if they experience it for free or after spending money at a store. If your main concern with your art is how you're gonna profit from it you're doing it oh so wrong.

Edited by Sumdeus - February 24 2013 at 15:47
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 17:25

there is obvious animosity here.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I don't beleive it is possible to correct this wrong-thinking of those who download illegal copies of albums ...,

they know it is theft whether they are willing to admit it or not,

they just don't care even if they do not believe it is a victimless crime.
No animosity here. Stern Smile
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 19:06
I buy hard copies to support my musicians and artists.  It's just the right thing to do.  If I were a downloader, I'd by it from them directly whenever possible.  I'm not going to be able to afford it for a while and I wish I had funds for the deluxe version of this album, but that's life. Cry  It would be nice if I could sample it in its entirety on streaming, though.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 20:02
I'm not really sure if I can even pick a side here. I don't condone stealing, but then again, there are so many people in this world who want to listen to some great music of their choice but have no way of affording it. Since it is far easier to pirate things on the internet than to do it physically in stores, that is what many resort to. The argument has been made in many other places on this site that the internet has done so many things to help bands gain more exposure, and the ability to pirate music is yet another method. That does extend itself to the fact that more people will know who Steve Wilson is, and more people will go to concerts as a result.

This makes me wonder, is there any sort of upward trend in concert attendance from the 1970's up to now? Is my theory accurate?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 20:50

No, Wilson is making money on touring because that is the main source of revenue for musicians today and only a small percentage of the money from record sales goes to the actual musician who made the music.... jesus you guys are so stuck on this one singular view...

also let me ask you this... how do you guys feel about libraries? people being able to walk in and just check out books for free, isn't it terrible? they should be going to the bookstore and spending money on it! and what about back in the day when cassette trading was big? wasn't that another atrocity? people making unofficial tapes and trading it, all this music being shared without everyone going to stores to spend money! the horror!

I am of the opinion that ones makes any sort of art with the purpose of people experiencing it and reacting to it. I would not care if they experience it for free or after spending money at a store. If your main concern with your art is how you're gonna profit from it you're doing it oh so wrong.
There is a significant difference in scale between make a few copies amongst friends or taking out a library book compared to mass downloading to thousands of people.

If an artist wants to give away their art for free I'm all for that, but it's the artists choice not the consumers, you may want to give it away for free terrific, more power to you. If the artist wants paying its not the consumers right to say "f**k off this should be free so I'm taking it anyway"
Ian

pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 20:51
I got the leak, but I will be buying it physically (and perhaps other mercy) when I see him live in April
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 20:57
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

This makes me wonder, is there any sort of upward trend in concert attendance from the 1970's up to now? Is my theory accurate?

No, but there's been a pretty hefty price increase for the tickets themselves.  There was a time when tickets didn't cost a hundred bucks.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 21:22
Downloaders beware :

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 21:37
Originally posted by coasterzombie coasterzombie wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of his work (PT is okay), but listening to a leak beforehand can definitely affect your long-term enjoyment of an album...I agree with Steven's standpoint and think more artists should stand up against this annoying trend.

i'm curious about this statement.  i find that i'm more invested with an album when i have the physical product rather than the itunes download.  that being said, i've been burned many many times, as i'm sure some of you have.  there's lots of bad music and we can get ourselves excited and then just totally be let down.  i think people that download wouldn't have bought the record in the first place.  those that are fans will buy the thing.  wilson makes his living off of limited editions that fans lap up in seconds.  

as for touring, i'm not sure if that makes any money.  lots of bands break even with that.  at the same time, if you really need to check something out before buying we now have spotify etc.  and when the artist is not on there, like steven, then there's usually clips on youtube, itunes etc.  

Edited by zumacraig - February 24 2013 at 21:42
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 21:46
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Back in the Plastic Age  of the 70s, there was no greater buzz than going into a record store (remember those???) , wafts of incense infusing with the heady aroma of vinyl and cardboard (an intoxicating mix) and sucking you into multiple purchases , often based on the cover art (there was no Internet back then, as weird as that may sound to you "younguns"). It was all about physically holding the LP artwork in your hands, looking at the credits, hoping to recognize some musician's name and BOOM, taking the plunge! That's what it was like in 1972, 1973 and 1974, etc...No prog advertizing and only a few mags to count on! 

MP3s are despicable , IMHO, its like some cheap blank tape tossed into the back of one's Rambler , with some illegible scribblings with a worthless BiC pen. Beurk! Prog is an ENTIRE package, like a piece of art in a museum, you need the frame and the lighting! 

Since the 80's movie "Wall Street", thievery has become okay and an accepted social phenomenon ! Enron, Tyco, Parmalat and the oligarchs rule the planet , and most citizens simply adhere to the latest technology gods. 

Rant over and out! 

good rant!  there are artists who are impossible to download...Van Morrison is one.  he has some company scour the web constantly.  

the other issue wish the death of CDs is that stuff's going out of print and the only option is a legal download.  talk about missing artwork etc.  it's a bit of a nightmare. 
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 00:57
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Downloaders beware :

I am not in favour of downloading, but I am sorry, I regard this as being in the most ridiculous bad taste.

Whatever else they are, rock artists are not victims in the same manner as the poor wretches who inhabited these shocking places.

Also, although wrong, downloaders do not, I feel, warrant a gas chamber for their crimes.

I am generally against censorship, but think it might be an idea if a friendly admin removed this
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>