Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPaul Lawler (U.K.) for Prog Electronic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paul Lawler (U.K.) for Prog Electronic
    Posted: March 04 2013 at 00:00
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 06:23
Svetonio, my friend...I just don't know how you continually manage to find such relatively little-known gems as this! Star
Paul Lawler, as well as releasing music under his birth name, is also known as Max Van Richter and Arcane (not the Arcane who we already have in Heavy Prog, it must be said!)

All his albums are on bandcamp, though it is not clear from the list on the right hand side of each page which ones belong to each of his pseudonyms - perhaps it is best to visit his website: http://www.paullawler.org/ to see which ones belong to whom (though RYM also lists the ones applicable each of his alter egos if you follow this link: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/paul_lawler). Much of the music seems to follow the traditional Berlin School approach, though there is an element of the more upbeat Düsseldorf School doctrine in a number of the tracks too.

A hell of a lot of material to plough through, and how exactly he would be added, having two pseudonyms, under one of which he has released as many albums (7) as he has as 'himself' Shocked I don't really know, but this seems a pretty decent suggestion on the whole to me. Thumbs Up

All you need to do now, Sve, is to edit the topic title so that it reads Paul Lawler  & not Paul Lowler... Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - March 04 2013 at 06:25
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 09:42

^ Yam Yam, I'm glad that you like the music!

A topic title is edited  Embarrassed
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 20:10
Well, first off, I enjoyed all the works done by him and his aliases.
However.
There seems to be quite a lot of Kitaro styled ambient/chill -out/downtempo stuff released under his own name as opposed to his two aliases, so I'm not really sure about this one.

Here's all the YT's that come up on the first page

Now on to Arcane. This is a definite yes. Great retro TD sound. It's worth mentioning a good many of their labelmates are here, such as Mark Shreeve, Airsculpture, and Radio Massacre International.

And now to Max Van Richter. This one also gets a 'yes' from me, same as the above. Also interesting little story to this one. Max Van Richter was supposedly (at first) a second member of Arcane when it was originally conceived, but then supposedly became "a victim of a mysterious spontaneous human combustion in his home, his charred remains found holding a badly damaged demo tape." which Lawler then decided to turn into the album 'Resurrection' and release it under Max Van Richter as a hommage. This was all completely made though by Paul though.Pinch

Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 20:53
All three of these are going to be in limbo for an indefinite period of time. Keep up the good work Svetonio Beer.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 03:00
^ Don't worry, Sheavy Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply