Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes lost broadcasts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes lost broadcasts
    Posted: March 05 2013 at 04:26
Never bought this little old footage, because the first Yes period have never been my favorite period, but after watching this i may reconsider that thought. I think there was something very good, that made what Yes was about to become. Cool to watch the guys at this age!

Edited by rdtprog - March 05 2013 at 05:32
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 18:54
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!  Early Yes is one of my favorites. Gonna have a good time watching this. 
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 18:58
I have that on DVD-fascinating to see them live at so early a stage!
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 19:23
Watching this hasmade me appreciate Tony more 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 19:58
Thanks, I love that period of the band!  I hadn't even heard of Yes until the "Yes Album" came out, and didn't fall in love with them until "Fragile!"

If I had known about this music as a kid, I would not have been into the Monkees!  LOL

BTW, Christopher Squire just turned, umm, 65?  Happy Birthday, Chris!  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:26
Hi,

(Slight editorial - Soap Box Mode 2 alla-dean!)

I keep thinking that pretty soon I have to ask my mom for the recordings of me in the crib crying, kicking and screaming! And put it to music and call it progressive just for you all!

This is weird for me. Sorry to sound silly!

AT the time, I liked checking out and hearing all the Pink Floyd bootlegs, all the Led Zeppelin bootlegs, all the Bob Dylan, all the Grateful Dead, all the Jethro Tull ... and the reason why I liked listening to them? .... they were all different from the regular recording. Even the Beatles said a lot more on the bootlegs than they EVER did on the albums, which, by all intents and purposes had too much Windex, Pine Sol and other lubricants that did NOT make the work by the musicians involved any better! In most cases it was so sanitized and over-mixed as to show the group as they weren't! This is the biggest issue with the Beatles! And it took away the "people" and "persons", and the work they did individually ... to the point that what Geoff says is ... totally ignored, because the Beatles are God and Geoff is sick and a bitch!

You would pay hundreds of dollars to hear Ian gasping for breath and saying ... more ... more ... in that insane version of My God ... during his flute solo ... one of the most intense and beautiful flute pieces I have ever heard in my life!  AND NEVER released on any album, btw!!!!!!!!!  YOU can not put a price on 15 different versions of Echoes, or Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, and how those trip sooooo differently from each other despite being the same "song". You can not appreciate how good and strong Led Zeppelin were in concert, that made their albums sound second rate by comparison!

In other words ... you felt that you KNEW these folks, and that they spoke for you, and your feelings.

Well, I never lost my feelings and what it all was about at the time, in various places, and hearing this stuff now, I can still appreciate the different things ... but some bands, were not that good, on the bootlegs. YES was one of them! Even though I have never found a bootleg of the TFTO that they did and I caught which was very good and clean by comparison to many other bootlegs of theirs. Another band, not very good, and the boots were sad, was Genesis.

This is my experience, AND what has helped define MY experience. And you have to see why ... since many of these bands were "underground" and it was not that easy to find their stuff, and in California, the bootlegs filled a very important need, that might not have been the case in NY or London or Paris! ... remember that!

But going back in time? Not for me ... I can listen to these things and still gain the "experience" ... but for the sake of collecting or for the fervour of it all? ... I already have it committed to my heart ... what else do I need? To convince you? ... Ohh yeah ... sure!

Unlike many of these bands, YES was not as original and talented at the start as they became, regardless of wether they gained direction from a producer, or the connection of the right folks, clicked properly to make it work and get somewhere! You got to remember that ... if you found a video of YES doing Simon and Garfunkel, you are probably going to say ... so what? It's pop music! Not progressive! And this is the part that tends to distort things some. They were teenagers learning their craft!

LIKE all of us and everyone else. AS a historical fact, it is important. As a music document, I am not sure that it is.

Edited by moshkito - March 06 2013 at 12:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply