Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bands that sound like Gentle Giant, from '90 to 13
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands that sound like Gentle Giant, from '90 to 13

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 09:03
I see someone has mentioned Advent. I'll second that recommendation. There aren't many bands I've heard that actually capture the essence of GG. I think aside from them Gryphon, Jethro Tull(early to mid), Banco, Echolyn and maybe a few others are worth exploring. 
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 09:12
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Try this one 

I have a couple of albums by this band including this one. I would think that they sound more like early Genesis rather than the intricate music of Gentle Giant. They came a bit too late to be fully appreciated. And the name. Could have been a bit more... original? No? Another band from the seventies that could sound like Gentle Giant at times was Hands. I'not going to link it because of the goddamned friggin' robot tests. It's probably in the PA database.

Anyway, NO band sounds like Gentle Giant. It was very unique.

Edited by Kepler62 - May 21 2017 at 09:25
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 12:46
Haken - Cockroach king
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_e4YX73Ww4

Haken has some GG moments
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 13:37
Originally posted by Aragon Aragon wrote:

and don't like  when the bands tends to be much exsperimental inserting weird instruments like cello, violin, horn(horrible)LOL and vibraphone.

This is just wrong. So so so so wrong. If anything, the rock instruments are more weird, because violin, cello et al have been around for centuries longer than rock instruments.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 13:48
ratracer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 13:12
Thanks! So many suggestions. I will definitely listen to them, starting with Advent expecting that their name won't mean that they are trying too much to copy or emulate GG and moreso being influenced by them.

Funny you mentioned Gryphon and Jethro Tull (although I don't agree too much about them being like GG) as I have been recently to a prog rock festival where they were featured (and, also, were I discovered that italian band I mentioned, Promenade - listen to them, they are worth a try! - at Gouveia, Portugal. Some years ago, that same Gouveia festival hosted Three Friends (already without Kerry Minnear) and they were magnificent (pretty close to the original GG!!!!)

They still deliver, but their portfolio was too much in the past, very early albuns, I would prefer Thick as a Brick onwards, and Mushrumps onwards, but, alas, no... Well, I guess I already listened to JT too many times before...

I enjoyed more those newer bands (and I am an middle age geezer, so I surprised myself), Promenade, The Loomings and even Isildur Bane for the added diversity and originality...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEYJ_87x9EM&list=PLozD3aRiYtH6ukMXuCrghfYYwhJ89Aq4o

Edited by ratracer - May 22 2017 at 13:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123