0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 05:40
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I'm reading the notes in the 2004 reissue, and I quote;"..their debut album The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack appeared in December '67".  

Further, the Immediate copyright states 'Original Immediate Recordings ⓟ 1967'.   Maybe the March '68 date was the worldwide release.

It's a 1967 album. The list and the article are quite americentric, other significant British albums released in '67 would include Kaleidoscope ~ A Tangerine Dream, The Zombies ~ Odessey and Oracle, Procol Harum ~ Procol Harum, The Incredible String Band ~ The 5000 Spirits or The Layers of an Onion, Nirvana ~ The Story of Simon Simopath, Eric Burdon and the Animals ~ Winds of Change, The Rolling Stones ~ Their Satanic Majesties Request.

While Arthur Brown is mentioned a lot in the article he is not in the list because his album didn't hit the shelves until '68, there were a number of singles released in 1967 that I feel were more relevant than most of the albums listed, especially by bands like The Small Faces, The Move, Soft Machine, Simon Dupree and the Big Sound, Tintern Abbey, The Yardbirds, The Smoke, Giles, Giles & Fripp, Tommorow, The Idle Race, Family, The Gods, etc. since while Prog was a predominately an album-based genre, it was the one-off psychedelic rock single that spored it - after all, people actually bought The Crazy World of Arthur Brown album because of (and perhaps only for) Fire.
What?
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 06:25
1967 was a very important year for albums in general - In 1966 popular music was dominated by singles, and in 1968 it was dominated by albums.  1967 was the year we switched from singles-led to albums-led

I voted Piper, of course, but if it hadn't been there I would have voted Pepper
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 07:03
It's Pepper or Piper for me LOL

Pepper is very diverse and tasteful (as any post-1963 albums by the Fab Four). The Beatles did have a firmer control over the flow of the music, and were able to balance the "surrealistic vs. nonsensical" and the "psychedelia vs. cacophony" equation in a more masterful way than Sid Barrett's group (that what eventually evolved into Pink Floyd).  

I do like Jimi Hendrix, certainly The Moody Blues, JA and some others from the list, but with reservations.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 07:24
Many worthy candidates here, but Velvet Underground beats them all.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 07:39
Poor ol The Who......

I really like Sell Out - and I love this picture of Daltrey:
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 08:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The list and the article are quite americentric, other significant British albums released in '67 would include Kaleidoscope ~ A Tangerine Dream, The Zombies ~ Odessey and Oracle, Procol Harum ~ Procol Harum, The Incredible String Band ~ The 5000 Spirits or The Layers of an Onion, Nirvana ~ The Story of Simon Simopath, Eric Burdon and the Animals ~ Winds of Change, The Rolling Stones ~ Their Satanic Majesties Request.

While Arthur Brown is mentioned a lot in the article he is not in the list because his album didn't hit the shelves until '68, there were a number of singles released in 1967 that I feel were more relevant than most of the albums listed, especially by bands like The Small Faces, The Move, Soft Machine, Simon Dupree and the Big Sound, Tintern Abbey, The Yardbirds, The Smoke, Giles, Giles & Fripp, Tommorow, The Idle Race, Family, The Gods, etc. since while Prog was a predominately an album-based genre, it was the one-off psychedelic rock single that spored it - after all, people actually bought The Crazy World of Arthur Brown album because of (and perhaps only for) Fire.

Very well put. I find a lot of American music criticism to be incredibly Americentric. I just read Spin Magazine's online review of the new Bowie album; it so skewered from an American perspective that it's downright offensive. [http://www.spin.com/reviews/david-bowie-the-next-day-columbia-iso]

Edited by jude111 - March 10 2013 at 08:58
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 13:16

^ I'm reading the notes in the 2004 reissue, and I quote;"..their debut album The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack appeared in December '67".  

Further, the Immediate copyright states 'Original Immediate Recordings ⓟ 1967'.   Maybe the March '68 date was the worldwide release.

It's possible. I think Frank Zappa's Lumpy Gravy had a similar release pattern, albeit with more convoluted circumstances than Emerlist  Davjack.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 20:26
^  I don't trust rock biographies for accuracy any more than I do someone sitting next to me at a concert

Edited by Atavachron - March 10 2013 at 21:20
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Moodys, then Hendrix, The Doors, Love, Beefheart, and how come The Mother's Absolutely Free isn't on the list?
I agree with you, I think it should have been on the list as I think it was the First Prog Album in America.
They'll exclude that album but yet they'll put a Non-Prog Album like "The Velvet Underground and Nico"?
Lists these days.
"Do not do to others as you don't want done to yourself."- Confucius
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 21:35
Originally posted by Jonathan Jonathan wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Moodys, then Hendrix, The Doors, Love, Beefheart, and how come The Mother's Absolutely Free isn't on the list?
I agree with you, I think it should have been on the list as I think it was the First Prog Album in America.
They'll exclude that album but yet they'll put a Non-Prog Album like "The Velvet Underground and Nico"?
Lists these days.

Read my first post, to see why it's not on this poll. Having said that, I agree that it should be.

Concerning VU & Nico, Nick Mason has some really interesting things to say about it his book "Inside Out." He writes how at the time, Floyd members heard about this new psychedelic music coming from America. It was exciting to read about, and it fueled their imaginations about what's possible in music. They waited breathlessly for the albums to come to England - Big Brother (Janis Joplin), Jefferson Airplane, the Doors. When the albums finally arrived, they were extremely disappointed. This wasn't the radical, far out sounds they imagined - it was just recycled bluesy bar music. Pretty tame stuff. However, there was one album that they loved, one album that they found truly out there: VU & Nico.

The Velvet Underground were an almost Germanic type band (e.g. Can), in that they weren't interested in being virtuosos. What a line-up! A nice hybrid, between British classically-trained avant-gardist John Cale, German chaunteuse Nico, the primal drums of Sterling Morrison, and Lou Reed's post-electric-Dylan NYC electric folk strummings and Beat lyrics. With Andy Warhol guiding them. I think they are totally prog progenitors, particularly to bands like early Floyd and many German rock bands. White Light/White Heat even more so. Unfortunately, once Cale was gone, the band became something else, and no longer Continental.

Edited by jude111 - March 10 2013 at 22:52
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 22:39
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Concerning VU & Nico, Nick Mason has some really interesting things to say about it his book "Inside Out." He writes how at the time, Floyd members heard about this new psychedelic music coming from America. It was exciting to read about, and it fueled their imaginations about what's possible in music. They waited breathlessly for the albums to come to England - Big Brother (Janis Joplin), Jefferson Airplane, the Doors. When the albums finally arrived, they were extremely disappointed. This wasn't the radical, far out sounds they imagined - it was just recycled bluesy bar music. Pretty tame stuff. However, there was one album that they loved, one album that they found truly out there: VU & Nico.

The Velvet Underground were an almost Germanic type band (e.g. Can), in that they weren't interested in being virtuosos. What a line-up! British classically-trained avant-gardist John Cale, German chaunteuse Nico, the primal drums of Sterling Morrison, and Lou Reed's post-electric-Dylan NYC electric folk strummings and Beat lyrics. With Andy Warhol guiding them. I think they are totally prog progenitors, particularly to bands like early Floyd and many German rock bands. White Light/White Heat even more so. Unfortunately, once Cale was gone, the band became something else, and no longer Continental.

Interesting. I've always had my suspicions - I've read that Peter Jenner and Andrew King wanted to bring the Velvets' first album into the UK, but went to work with Pink Floyd at the last minute - but I've never heard any confirmations from anyone from the band until now.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 22:54
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Interesting. I've always had my suspicions - I've read that Peter Jenner and Andrew King wanted to bring the Velvets' first album into the UK, but went to work with Pink Floyd at the last minute - but I've never heard any confirmations from anyone from the band until now.

I just hope it's accurate and I didn't get anything wrong - it's been a few years since I read it, and I don't have the book here with me. LOL
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 23:08
From this list...Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

But there's a terrible omision:

Far more Prog and transcendental than any of the mentioned IMO.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 10 2013 at 23:19

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 23:18

I have a treasured copy of the 1967 British release.

If I'm not wrong , this is the British cover

The one in my previous post is the 1968 Columbia USA cover

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 10 2013 at 23:19

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 23:49
Just as I suspected.
kit-kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 03:17
I can't vote yet, but VU & Nico would be my pick without a doubt.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 00:43
The Doors debut, followed closely by Velvet Underground.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:41
Chose the Beatles...Sgt Pepper......couldn't vote in the poll for some reason.Unhappy
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:53
What about Tangerine Dream - Kaleidoscope?
And what about my favorite album from 1967, Country Joe and the Fish - Electric Music for the Mind and Body?

A lot of good music in 1967!

Edited by Larree - March 17 2013 at 11:54
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:56
I voted for the Moody Blues. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>